Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Vikings, Kyle Rudolph cut off extension talks
Whether it's the full $7.625 million or reduced to (a theoretical) $3.625 million, what prevents the Vikings from pulling the plug and cutting him out of camp? It's not too surprising he would want guarantees in a redo - as it stands he can either get paid $7.625 million over the season or he will be released. As the Robison situation may have shown, redoing your deal to make it team friendly doesn't secure your roster spot anyway...

With them drafting his replacement the only way he should extend is if they guarantee more than his current season cap hit.  Don't give cash back to extend just to get kicked to the curb like Brob.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
It's interesting because he kept saying that he was willing to restructure. I hope they can sort it out. He is definitely an asset to the team and the community.
His comments were very politically correct,  but it was evident that he was just using the opportunity to draw the fans support.
I don't know if it matters if he has fan support. BRob had fan support and we all know how that went. Whatever decision that is made is all about business, loyalty will not be part of the equation. 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
It's interesting because he kept saying that he was willing to restructure. I hope they can sort it out. He is definitely an asset to the team and the community.
His comments were very politically correct,  but it was evident that he was just using the opportunity to draw the fans support.
I don't know if it matters if he has fan support. BRob had fan support and we all know how that went. Whatever decision that is made is all about business, loyalty will not be part of the equation. 
That's why he needs to do what's best for him business wise.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
Well a shot across the bow then,  but most fans only heard the part about him being willing to restructure and glassed over that part of adding years to the contract,  either way his comments were not the way they were read by most and they were intentional,  they had purpose.

I hope they hold onto Rudolph for this year. He can still play. I am not so sure about Everson Griffen, if I am GM I am looking in that direction if I want to clear 8 million in cap.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
Well a shot across the bow then,  but most fans only heard the part about him being willing to restructure and glassed over that part of adding years to the contract,  either way his comments were not the way they were read by most and they were intentional,  they had purpose.
I can't speak for everyone, but with only 1-year left on his deal, we were going to have to extend him to get any cap relief.  I thought that much was obvious given that he's only 30 and it would make sense to add another year or two onto his current contract.

Quote: @kmillard said:
I hope they hold onto Rudolph for this year. He can still play. I am not so sure about Everson Griffen, if I am GM I am looking in that direction if I want to clear 8 million in cap.
I agree with this. I like Griff as well. You talk about not living up to a contract lately though. People want to bag on Rudy?

It's a tough spot to be. I agree that the Vikings are probably OK with Rudolph for 2-more years, but he likely wants a longer term. The hard part is that our cap is tight that money will need to come from somewhere. It doesn't all need to come from Rudolph and we are likely going to have a lot of inexperienced depth on the roster. I also don't think that Smith is a clean replacement for Rudolph, they are both TEs, but play very different roles and some of the advantages of having Smith go away if they don't have a more traditional TE to compliment him. Unfortunately, this is the flipside of the Vikings drafting good players and retaining their own talent. At a certain point the cap runs out and they get forced into making moves that they don't want to. Are there any other players who are targets to be cut or restructured? We didn't address OT until late in the draft, so I don't see Reiff as a restructure candidate.

Quote: @kmillard said:
I agree with this. It wasn't a good PR move to get rid of Griffen last year, plus he was willing to restructure so he got a bit of a pass.