Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Vikings, Kyle Rudolph cut off extension talks
Oh Oh... ConfusedThe Vikings said that drafting tight end Irv Smith Jr. in the second round of last month’s draft was not a sign that they were pushing Kyle Rudolph off the roster, but a parting of the ways may be in the cards.
Rudolph is in the final year of his contract and he had been talking to the Vikings about an extension that would extend that stay. An extension would likely lessen Rudolph’s $7.625 million cap hit for the 2019 season as well, but Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that talks about a new deal broke off on Friday.
The need to clear cap space was related to reports that the Vikings were fielding calls about trading Rudolph and other veteran members of the team, but General Manager Rick Spielman downplayed the seriousness of those discussions.
Friday’s development will likely lead to another round of calls to Spielman from teams interested in Rudolph and it could lead to a different answer from the Vikings.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/10/report-vikings-kyle-rudolph-cut-off-extension-talks/

Report: Vikings, TE Rudolph Contract Extension Talks Break Off; Trade Could Be Looming
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Minnesota Vikings veteran tight end Kyle Rudolph’s future with the team is in doubt. 
According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, the team held active extension talks with Rudolph, but those broke off Friday morning.
Rapoport says this means a trade could be looming, since there’s interest around the NFL.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2019/05/10/report-vikings-te-rudolph-contract-extension-talks-break-off-trade-could-be-looming/

JMO, but I think the Vikings are pretty ok with Tyler Conklin in Rudolph's role this year, Morgan is one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL (and underrated catching) and then 2nd round pick Irv Smith Jr. and whatever he might bring his rookie year. They won't be missing much without Rudolph, IMO. 

Minnesota needs that cap room. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
JMO, but I think the Vikings are pretty ok with Tyler Conklin in Rudolph's role this year, Morgan is one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL (and underrated catching) and then 2nd round pick Irv Smith Jr. and whatever he might bring his rookie year. They won't be missing much without Rudolph, IMO. 

Minnesota needs that cap room. 
I think your downplaying Rudolph's value to the team...  He's not a Kelce, Gronk, or Jimmy Graham in his prime, but he's been a good TE for a long time. He's probably more comparable to a Heath Miller/Todd Heap type of TE.

Add in the mentoring and leadership he brings to the locker room along with his impact in the community...  I would rather keep him.

We lost a "glue" guy in Robison last season...  If Rudolph gets traded, the Vikings better hope they have someone to fill that void. 

Probably less about money than length of term. Rudolph's been a good tight end for us and huge part of the community. I'm sure he wanted a longer term commitment than the Vikings wanted to give. 

I'd honestly prefer that he stays, because I think that he and the newbie would be a troublesome combination.  That said, I know that the Vikings are up against the cap and have more expensive offseasons looming in the very near future.

Like it or not, as Rudy approaches 30, he is about to strike midnight on Spielman’s roster clock...

[Image: 4tovma60xs3t.png]

He's a pillar of the community type player...his generosity is without peer on the team...hopefully there is another player willing to 're-do...

It's interesting because he kept saying that he was willing to restructure. I hope they can sort it out. He is definitely an asset to the team and the community.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
It's interesting because he kept saying that he was willing to restructure. I hope they can sort it out. He is definitely an asset to the team and the community.
His comments were very politically correct,  but it was evident that he was just using the opportunity to draw the fans support.