Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: A pox on their house...
Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@BigAl99 said:
My son almost died from chickenpox, he spent a week at Vanderbilt pediatric  ICU.  The doctor kept telling my wife it would pass in a couple of days, she finally just brought him into the office and he sent him straight to the hospital, the blisters were going to his lungs and other organs.  Tough lesson to learn as a parent of a four year old, hope you don't have to go through the exercise.
I am glad to hear he made it through and sorry he suffered so terribly. The like was for the fact that he came through it. That's scary stuff seeing your child suffer and feeling helpless.
Yeah he came through okay, the worst thing was the scarring.  When he played sports he always looked like he was over heated.  The Refs had him looked at a few times,  He was more embarrassed.  He is happily married has his PHD and is a contributing member of society, it  all turned out okay.  

As a kid, I suffered through it all...measles, german measles, mumps and chicken pox.  Back then it was the only way to become immune to it.  As a parent, I immunized both of my kids to spare them from going through what I had to. 

I was reading that people born between 1950-1989 might need another MMR shot. I double checked for my own piece of mind. The Centers for Disease Control changed the recommendations and not everyone is in compliance.

Yeah, and then you grow older and find out the chicken pox you had as a kid was just hiding in the closet and they need to give you another shot for shingles.  I had the shingles shot a couple years ago and now my doc is saying that the serum I had was only about 50% effective and they now have a new serum which is much better....
After the chickenpox runs its itchy course, the virus retreats to nerve tissues near your spinal cord and brain, where it hides out.
Doctors don’t know why, but sometimes the virus “wakes up” and travels along nerve fibers to your skin. That’s when it lands its second punch -- shingles, also called herpes zoster.

never had any childhood malady 3 brothers and sister got them all at the same time first chicken pox then mumps---I just got extra chores on the farm as they got bed rest.