Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: A pox on their house...

I'm really not supporting the anti-vac crowd but I'm old enough to remember when moms purposely exposed their kids at a young age to chickenpox. I might have never had it. Not through lack of trying on my mom's part. Or I might have had it but didn't develop the full blown breakout of blisters. I don't remember chickenpox ever being deadly to kids. It was mothers pre-chickenpox vac days doing what they thought was the safer alternative for their kids, especially their boys at a time of life when it was likely to have least impact long term. Now there is a alternative why risk exposure at all. Their choice I guess. I think of all the ways times have changed. I used to ride in the front seat before I was even 8 when alone in the car with my mom. It was a special treat to be a big boy. My seatbelt was moms hand across my chest if she had to brake hard. It's a wonder any of us kids survived the 60's without all that government intervention.
Edit: I wish this kid the best. Getting the pox at 18 is not good. Especially if mom might want grandkids later.
Edit: at least that was the old wives tale. Not sure medically proven.
I kinda trust the old wives to know things about kids though.

i think it was the mumps that i always heard could make a boy sterile.  you might be right about the pox too.

Quote: @ThunderGod said:
i think it was the mumps that i always heard could make a boy sterile.  you might be right about the pox too.
You're right I believe medically. But chickenpox does come with high fever and moms used to worry about high fever in teen boys for that reason. So they wanted to "get it over with" at a younger age. 

My son almost died from chickenpox, he spent a week at Vanderbilt pediatric  ICU.  The doctor kept telling my wife it would pass in a couple of days, she finally just brought him into the office and he sent him straight to the hospital, the blisters were going to his lungs and other organs.  Tough lesson to learn as a parent of a four year old, hope you don't have to go through the exercise.

And about the mumps. I did have that as a young boy. It was no joke. I remember how sick I was. Couldn't eat for days. Weirdest fever dreams that I ever remember. Later in life it made Pink Floyd's Comfortable numb make sense to me. Without the needles. But those fever dreams...oh boy. Dead people literally visiting me. You don't forget them dreams. Only a few years later they did develop the 1st vaccine for that. I've made it a lifetime habit of just missing out it seems. Oh well I'm still here to bitch about it...lol.

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
My son almost died from chickenpox, he spent a week at Vanderbilt pediatric  ICU.  The doctor kept telling my wife it would pass in a couple of days, she finally just brought him into the office and he sent him straight to the hospital, the blisters were going to his lungs and other organs.  Tough lesson to learn as a parent of a four year old, hope you don't have to go through the exercise.
Just to be clear Bigguy I wasn't liking the fact your boy got sick. Just that he made it through. Yes not everyone who gets something has it equally.

One more thing to add to my mom's back then thing. Mumps, rubella and measles were never something they tried exposing their kids to. It was something they prayed they wouldn't get. I'm pretty sure my mom wasn't the only one who stayed up several nights cooling their child with a damp cloth and praying. 

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
I am glad to hear he made it through and sorry he suffered so terribly. The like was for the fact that he came through it. That's scary stuff seeing your child suffer and feeling helpless.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@BigAl99 said:
Just to be clear Bigguy I wasn't liking the fact your boy got sick. Just that he made it through. Yes not everyone who gets something has it equally.
Didn't really take it that way.  I Just know I felt like a complete failure at the time, and I hope no one has to go through that.  The doctors attitude  is the thing that pisses me off the most, it's a childhood disease.  My personal belief is anyone that doesn't vaccinate their children is a fool and should be held responsible if they allow them into society.  America is more than a government or economy it the place where all live together.