Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Have To Wonder What The Asking Price Was
Quote: @"TBro" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
KYLE RUDOLPHTE, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
ESPN's Courtney Cronin reports the Vikings fielded trade calls on Kyle Rudolph before and during the draft.Rudolph is heading into the final year of his contract and is set to count $7.625 million against the cap, a number the Vikings can wipe completely away by getting rid of him. Minnesota went on to use a second-round pick on Alabama TE Irv Smith and also still has 2018 fifth-rounder Tyler Conklin. The Vikings' cap situation is extremely tight, and Cronin believes Rudolph could still be in trouble. At the very least, he may have to re-work his contract.
SOURCE: ESPN.com

I'd also love to know who was the target of the attempted second trade up...
Vikings traded up for Samia and also attempted to trade up in the 5th for someone. It clearly wasn't Cameron Smith or Spielman would've said so. Most seem to think it was for Blake Cashman, the Minnesota LB. Pretty sure it was a LB tho. There was a run at LB there in the 5th, which probably prompted the attempted trade up. NINE LBs went between picks 142 and the Vikings pick at 162 in the 5th. Personally, I think it was for either Mack Wilson, Justin Hollins or Blake Cashman. 

Cameron Smith might turn out great, but this wasn't one of my favorite picks. It had a sort of "next guy on the board" feel to it, rather than a "this is the guy we targeted" feel. 
Agreed. It felt a lot like the Brian O'Neill pick when he missed out on the OLine run so he could draft another corner. Luckily that turned out well for us as O'Neill developed much faster than anyone expected. I guess a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. 
I hear what you guys are saying, but if Rick is going to be slammed for bad picks or non-picks, he ought to be given credit for his good picks such as O'Neill. O'Neill wasn't just a project pick given he was picked in the 2nd round. Projects are usually picked in the later rounds. Rick seemingly hit a home run on this pick.  

Then I guess Hunter and Diggs were lucky picks too. Treadwell was an unlucky one. Not trying to be a dick, but just because we didn't have the guy on our radar, doesn't mean he didn't fit in right where they hoped. Calling it lucky seems presumptuous. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
KYLE RUDOLPHTE, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
ESPN's Courtney Cronin reports the Vikings fielded trade calls on Kyle Rudolph before and during the draft.Rudolph is heading into the final year of his contract and is set to count $7.625 million against the cap, a number the Vikings can wipe completely away by getting rid of him. Minnesota went on to use a second-round pick on Alabama TE Irv Smith and also still has 2018 fifth-rounder Tyler Conklin. The Vikings' cap situation is extremely tight, and Cronin believes Rudolph could still be in trouble. At the very least, he may have to re-work his contract.
SOURCE: ESPN.com

I'd also love to know who was the target of the attempted second trade up...
Vikings traded up for Samia and also attempted to trade up in the 5th for someone. It clearly wasn't Cameron Smith or Spielman would've said so. Most seem to think it was for Blake Cashman, the Minnesota LB. Pretty sure it was a LB tho. There was a run at LB there in the 5th, which probably prompted the attempted trade up. NINE LBs went between picks 142 and the Vikings pick at 162 in the 5th. Personally, I think it was for either Mack Wilson, Justin Hollins or Blake Cashman. 

Cameron Smith might turn out great, but this wasn't one of my favorite picks. It had a sort of "next guy on the board" feel to it, rather than a "this is the guy we targeted" feel. 
I have concerns about the Smith pick as well. One of the problems on D was that teams could exploit Gedeon in coverage & while Smith at least offers some competition, he's more of a 2-down LB as well, so other than special teams, it felt like there was no point in taking Smith. Or am I wrong to think that 2-down LBers are a liability? The move felt especially weird after they announced that they were moving Kearse to LB full-time. He's much more inline with where the league is headed, so if they know that different skills are required out of LBers now, then why even take Smith? Are they just hoping that he's at least somewhat better or is he just meant to be a special teams guy?

Kyle and Irv will be on the field at the same time and this helps both players as well as the entire Offense This Year.
Steve Jordan can finally throw away those old cleats.  Cousins got his Jordan Reed.
I think Rudolph and Waynes had trade value on draft day, and offers were sniffed.  But, I'm glad they are back.  Both players hold up their position, even under big pressure.

I was thrilled with the O'Neill pick because the kid was obviously a fantastic Athlete for his size.  Great movement and suddeness from a 300lb plus guy.  He was never small for the position, but at 6'-7" he appears stretched out in the same way Nate Solder does.  I thought he and Garret Bowles easily were in a class by themselves at LT on account of their superior hip bend and foot movement.

I still think he's our 15/mil yr LT of the future.

I wanted serious ham on the OL in this draft and Cody Ford to RT was tempting back in Dec/Jan.

However, w Kubiak and Dennison I'm now anticipating Zone Schemes with a big focus on Movement.  The Vikes have  top personnel for this already in O'Neill, Morgan and Collins.  Now, they've added Bradbury. Elf is also above-average at reach blocks and downfield shoves, when healthy.  Although its way too early, I will say that Udoh guy can really move well for a big big guy, too.  Nice Late Pick!

Is it Rudy's Last Year?  The writing might be on the wall, but he is still so solid at the position I can't call it.

Quote: @"kahsmick" said:
Kyle and Irv will be on the field at the same time and this helps both players as well as the entire Offense This Year.
When you look at how much Kubiak loves 12 personnel (1 back, two tights), you begin to understand why we drafted the way we did. 

I was advocating for a WR as early as the 2nd round, but if we're in "12" a majority of the time, that WR3 is far less important than the TE2. I think I heard that no WR3 in a Kubiak offense has ever gotten more than 20 receptions. 

Probably explains why we went with the low-investment, high-quantity approach at WR this year in the draft and after...

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"kahsmick" said:
When you look at how much Kubiak loves 12 personnel (1 back, two tights), you begin to understand why we drafted the way we did. 

I was advocating for a WR as early as the 2nd round, but if we're in "12" a majority of the time, that WR3 is far less important than the TE2. I think I heard that no WR3 in a Kubiak offense has ever gotten more than 20 receptions. 

Probably explains why we went with the low-investment, high-quantity approach at WR this year in the draft and after...

Going further, I think it's pretty clear from the quote below why Kubiak left Denver...Fangio wanted to hire his own staff, which is understandable. But he also wanted the change the entire philosophy of the offense.

It'll be interesting to watch Denver and Minnesota's offenses this year to see who comes out on top.

“I believe in Chicago this past year … 82 or 83 percent of the plays (when) we were on defense it was three wide receivers on offense,” Fangio said. “That, to me, is the biggest change in football. You’ve substituted either a fullback or a second tight end with a third wide receiver. The game has trended towards the speed of the wide receivers and spreading it out.”