Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Have To Wonder What The Asking Price Was
KYLE RUDOLPHTE, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
ESPN's Courtney Cronin reports the Vikings fielded trade calls on Kyle Rudolph before and during the draft.Rudolph is heading into the final year of his contract and is set to count $7.625 million against the cap, a number the Vikings can wipe completely away by getting rid of him. Minnesota went on to use a second-round pick on Alabama TE Irv Smith and also still has 2018 fifth-rounder Tyler Conklin. The Vikings' cap situation is extremely tight, and Cronin believes Rudolph could still be in trouble. At the very least, he may have to re-work his contract.
SOURCE: ESPN.com

I'd also love to know who was the target of the attempted second trade up...

2nd trade up?

I think Rudy ends up getting cut when its all said and done. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
ESPN's Courtney Cronin reports the Vikings fielded trade calls on Kyle Rudolph before and during the draft.Rudolph is heading into the final year of his contract and is set to count $7.625 million against the cap, a number the Vikings can wipe completely away by getting rid of him. Minnesota went on to use a second-round pick on Alabama TE Irv Smith and also still has 2018 fifth-rounder Tyler Conklin. The Vikings' cap situation is extremely tight, and Cronin believes Rudolph could still be in trouble. At the very least, he may have to re-work his contract.

Vikings traded up for Samia and also attempted to trade up in the 5th for someone. It clearly wasn't Cameron Smith or Spielman would've said so. Most seem to think it was for Blake Cashman, the Minnesota LB. Pretty sure it was a LB tho. There was a run at LB there in the 5th, which probably prompted the attempted trade up. NINE LBs went between picks 142 and the Vikings pick at 162 in the 5th. Personally, I think it was for either Mack Wilson, Justin Hollins or Blake Cashman. 

Cameron Smith might turn out great, but this wasn't one of my favorite picks. It had a sort of "next guy on the board" feel to it, rather than a "this is the guy we targeted" feel. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

Cameron Smith might turn out great, but this wasn't one of my favorite picks. It had a sort of "next guy on the board" feel to it, rather than a "this is the guy we targeted" feel. 
That's how I felt when Spielman drafted Brian O'Neill, but they may have gotten extremely lucky there. Same kind of run happened on O-linemen like it did with LBs, just a higher round. 

@"BarrNone55" said:

Vikings traded up for Samia and also attempted to trade up in the 5th for someone. It clearly wasn't Cameron Smith or Spielman would've said so. Most seem to think it was for Blake Cashman, the Minnesota LB. Pretty sure it was a LB tho. There was a run at LB there in the 5th, which probably prompted the attempted trade up. NINE LBs went between picks 142 and the Vikings pick at 162 in the 5th. Personally, I think it was for either Mack Wilson, Justin Hollins or Blake Cashman. 

Agreed. It felt a lot like the Brian O'Neill pick when he missed out on the OLine run so he could draft another corner. Luckily that turned out well for us as O'Neill developed much faster than anyone expected. I guess a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. 

I'm not sure why so many think O'Neill was a lucky pick.

Quote: @wiviking said:
slated as a project pick,  a converted TE that was only in his 3rd year at OT in college to come and not only contribute his rookie year but to start 3/4 of the season and on top of that played at a very very high level and only committed 4 penalties (3 false starts and 1 hold)   nobody thought the kid was going to be able to do even close to that year 1 and for a team that desperately needed OL help to get that kind of performance out of  project pick.... lucky as it comes.

I immediately thought they wanted Cashman but the Jets had the same idea.

I think Rudolph is gone from the purple after this season. 

Quote: @wiviking said:
I wouldn't say he was a lucky pick. I would say we were lucky that he developed so quickly. 

You have to remember that he was a hot, steaming pile of poo Senior Bowl week. 

But I've since learned something about all star games, particularly practices. The smaller, more athletic zone blockers just aren't going to fare as well as power blockers in those one on one drills everyone loves so much. 

I think the Vikings got two very good offensive linemen the last two years for that very reason.