Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#3 WR?
Did Robinson sign elsewhere? I think son of Beebe has a good chance or one of he draft picks...Or we run more two TE sets with Smith flexed out...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Did Robinson sign elsewhere? I think son of Beebe has a good chance or one of he draft picks...Or we run more two TE sets with Smith flexed out...
last I heard he was still available.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
Dillon Mitchell could be a dark horse...  he has some swag (good and bad) even though he's got a thin frame.  If you watched Oregon at all, he's pretty nifty after the catch.  A little Diggs-like wiggle to him in the open field.  The best thing this guy could do is follow Thielen and Diggs around and put in the work that they do everyday.
Mitchell probably has the most talent, but here's the line in his scouting report that will probably sink him with this team:
Quote:"Non-factor as a blocker"
But let's hope he can impress and step forward. I'm not surprised about Beebe being a favorite, but I really think his physical abilities limit what he can do.
Hopefully we won't need a 3rd WR much, but it's injury that worries me.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Not saying treadwell played good,  but he only had 1 more dropped pass than Cook on a few more targets.  I can recall 1 or 2 that were glaring head up ass moments,  but I also saw those from Rudy, Diggs, and AT.

The kid isn't what we expected,  but he isn't total shit either.

But hell no on the 5th year option,  in fact I hope that goes away because it really hasn't helped the team out much anyway.

As far as a 3rd WR,  does anybody know how often Steph plans on using a 3rd WR over a 2nd or 3rd TE?  Lots of hand wringing over nothing IMO. 
They’ll run a lot of 2 TE sets in Kubiak’s offense...

Quote: @Kentis said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Not saying treadwell played good,  but he only had 1 more dropped pass than Cook on a few more targets.  I can recall 1 or 2 that were glaring head up ass moments,  but I also saw those from Rudy, Diggs, and AT.

But hell no on the 5th year option,  in fact I hope that goes away because it really hasn't helped the team out much anyway.

As far as a 3rd WR,  does anybody know how often Steph plans on using a 3rd WR over a 2nd or 3rd TE?  Lots of hand wringing over nothing IMO. 
hard to call it kubiaks offense when ive read that he isnt even going to be around the team full time.  sure he will have a hand in helping to design part of the play book,  but if  he isnt calling plays or even running practices and game plans how can it really be his offense?

@Kentis said:
@JimmyinSD said:

hard to call it kubiaks offense when ive read that he isnt even going to be around the team full time.  sure he will have a hand in helping to design part of the play book,  but if  he isnt calling plays or even running practices and game plans how can it really be his offense?
All of the discussion about outside zone has generally been referred to as Kubiak’s offense, I guess I should call it the Vikings offense, semantics... 

It's a big concern for me, but the Vikings appear to have a different plan. Every move from bringing in the Kubiaks, to signing Kline, drafting Bradbury, Samia, & Mattison, & moving Elflein to LG is all about opening up the running game. I think the Vikings feel that if they can generate a strong rushing attack, then that forces teams to bring an extra man in the box or at least change the coverage to give Thielen & Diggs more favorable matchups. It would also benefit the defense by keeping them off the field, which was a huge problem.

The 2nd part of their strategy was drafting a move TE. No one expected them to be able to get Irv Smith, but he gives them a versatile piece who they can move all around the field to create mismatches. It seems like they'll be running a lot more two TE sets, but at least as a rookie, Smith will function a lot like a 3rd receiver and it will be his responsibility to take advantage of favorable matchups and make teams pay for doubling Thielen and Diggs. Rudolph will still be a factor too. He was forgotten at certain points of the season, but did have some big games when teams started to focus too much on Thielen and Diggs. It will be interesting to see how the new offense gets him involved and if the line can solidify, then it would make it a lot easier to send him out on more routes.

As for 3rd receiver itself, I imagine that Treadwell is still the front runner at this point. I'd love for things to click for him, because he does seem to be a guy who legitimately works hard and cares, but there's no way they should rely on him at this point. I think that Chad Beebe is interesting and if he can stay healthy, he could be a good slot option. After them, then you're left with Zylstra, Mitchell, & Johnson. Both Mitchell and Johnson have interesting attributes, Mitchell is the flashier player and Johnson is the guy who can do all the little things to stay on the roster. It's difficult to expect too much out of 7th rounders, but those are the main options we have right now. Depth at receiver is a big question mark, especially if anyone gets hurt. I'm curious to see if they'll try to sign some sort of veteran option after they address the cap situation, but it's hard to make those moves right now. I would have loved using the 3rd on a receiver and addressing RB later, but hopefully their plan at WR can work, even though I see it as a top 3 draft need in 2020 only behind LT & UT/3-technique.

@Kentis said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Huh? The assistant HC isn't going to be  around full time? I missed that.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I dont remember where but the article mentioned that his health  wouldn't allow for him to be there full time.  He would spend part of the week working from home and fly in for game days and  other things like TC amd OTAs.  Basically a sounding board and co collaborator for Zim and Stefanski.

They have never really said what his duties are going to be that I have heard,  just that everybody assumes he is 1B on the coaching chart and i dont know that that's correct.

@"BarrNone55" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I dont remember where but the article mentioned that his health  wouldn't allow for him to be there full time.  He would spend part of the week working from home and fly in for game days and  other things like TC amd OTAs.  Basically a sounding board and co collaborator for Zim and Stefanski.

They have never really said what his duties are going to be that I have heard,  just that everybody assumes he is 1B on the coaching chart and i dont know that that's correct.
Yeah, Kubiak is officially listed as 'Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Advisor'. Also, Dennison is listed as 'Offensive Line Coach/Run Game Coordinator'.