Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MaroonBells Mock Draft
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Bullazin said:
Excellent GM ing MB.  i fret about dumping Reiff bc i like his game and think he would be elite G. To get rudys replacement with the value eases some of the pain

i think the risk is obviously at the T spot, but i am hoping Kubes can solve it and we finally get the bride 
I struggled with Reiff. How does a team so desperate for offensive line help trade its best offensive lineman? We do it only if we're able to draft a tackle in the 1st two rounds. But I think the Vikings need help on two fronts: the line and the cap. This is not a rebuilding year, but if we make a few key moves, we can find ourselves with a promising young line and 20-30 more in cap space next year. 
I've mentioned that I think Reiff could be the piece that gives them cap flexibility moving forward. I doubt they would trade him now, but if they could address the O-line and he starts to fall out of their top 5 I could see them moving him in camp. Now or later I think 2019 is likely his last year in MN. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
This is a good mock and definitely makes some bold moves to address the O-line. Dre'Mount Jones is a guy I personally like but haven't written much about. Teams are over analyzing him due to his size which could end up being good news for MN. If you look at him purely as a situational pass rushing 3-tech he fits what MN looks for. If you talk about a 4-man rotation of Linval, Stephen, Jaleel Johnson, and Jones they'd be able to show a variety of different looks. 

The one pick I am not a fan of is Knox. His lack of stats definitely has a lot to do with Ole Miss' strong WR's and scheme. After watching a few games I had the takeaway that he doesn't necessarily make himself available for the ball all that much. Watch the plays he gets the ball vs. not. You can see a difference in how quickly he comes off the snap when he knows he potentially could get the ball. Regardless, he's a good value in the 4th. 
I think of Knox as the end of a pretty thick cluster of TEs. What looked like a really nice cluster of TEs in the middle rounds a month ago has become more of a day-two cluster. In other words, I think if you want a guy like Sternberger, Oliver, Sample or Warring, you're going to have to take them on day two. 

Thanks for the effort you put into this, MB.  Very interesting (and well-thought out).  I'm a bit of a "homer" when it comes to both of the players you traded away... but winning the SB is the goal, not keeping the gang together and happy.  

I like it and appreciate the effort.

I'm got this feeling we go  RB sooner than everyone thinks...but getting a Sooner in the sixth is pretty good... 

I would rather have Deebo than Josh Oliver at 50 if we're going with a "receiver".

I'm actually not as big of a fan of Oliver after watching him more.  I just don't see the athleticism in games that he displayed in shorts at the combine. 

He doesn't get a heck of a lot of separation over the middle or along the sidelines...  I see him get tackled too many times right after the catch on those routes.  I think Sternberger would be a better choice if we go TE in the 2nd or 3rd.  He ran slower than Oliver at the combine but he looks like he has a lot more juice in pads.

Overall, a very nice mock Maroon!  I like how you set yours up with alternate picks since you typically just do one before the actual draft.

Thanks for sharing!  BOOM 

spot on so far MB

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Bullazin said:
Excellent GM ing MB.  i fret about dumping Reiff bc i like his game and think he would be elite G. To get rudys replacement with the value eases some of the pain

i think the risk is obviously at the T spot, but i am hoping Kubes can solve it and we finally get the bride 
I struggled with Reiff. How does a team so desperate for offensive line help trade its best offensive lineman? We do it only if we're able to draft a tackle in the 1st two rounds. But I think the Vikings need help on two fronts: the line and the cap. This is not a rebuilding year, but if we make a few key moves, we can find ourselves with a promising young line and 20-30 more in cap space next year. 
I've mentioned that I think Reiff could be the piece that gives them cap flexibility moving forward. I doubt they would trade him now, but if they could address the O-line and he starts to fall out of their top 5 I could see them moving him in camp. Now or later I think 2019 is likely his last year in MN. 
This is why I wanted Dillard or Taylor (injuries have turned out to be a big deal). It seems likely that Reiff will be gone after this season and while O'Neill could potentially move over to LT, it would have been nice to have a plan in place to solidify both tackle spots long term. I can't complain about Bradbury due to how important an athletic center is to an outside zone scheme, but if some of the tackles continue to slide in the 2nd, I'd be tempted to take one and maybe even move up, though we have a lot of other needs.

Did you find it interesting that some seemingly 2nd/3rd round caliber OTs were taken in the first over players like Taylor, Risner, and Ford?

Nice job on guessing the Bradbury pick. I'm curious what they would have done if both Bradbury and Lindstrom were on the board?

Quote: @Tyr said:
Nice job on guessing the Bradbury pick. I'm curious what they would have done if both Bradbury and Lindstrom were on the board?
Likely traded back

Quote: @Tyr said:
Both ON the board? That's a good question. Vikings are saying they had Bradbury targeted all along, but of course they're going to say that. I tend to believe it though. Lindstrom wouldn't require you to move anyone, but the Vikings may have put him at center, too. Elflein just hasn't been that impressive in the run game. Will be less so in an outside zone. Could he be traded? 

Man, you have to love what the Falcons are doing though. Lindstrom at 14 and McGary later on. Yeah, maybe both are reaches, but who cares? Lindstrom was the best zone pure guard in the draft. And it could be argued that McGary was the best zone right tackle.