Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MaroonBells Mock Draft
This mock isn’t a prediction. I don’t have a clue what NFL teams are going to do. Vikings are even more unpredictable. Instead, I like to identify players who’ve stood out to me, players I believe in who fit what we do, and figure out a way to draft as many as possible. And then check back in five years to see how I did. For example, five years ago, the first four players I drafted turned into Pro Bowl players. 
Trades (been a steady buzz that this draft will break records for the amount of trades. You can expect Trader Rick to be involved).Trade Waynes to KC for pick 2.63Trade Riley Reiff and 2020 5th to Panthers for pick 4.115Trade Laquon Treadwell and a 2020 7th to Raiders for 5.140

1.18. - Garrett Bradbury, C, NC State, 6-3, 306, 4.9 fortyBiggest cliche in the draft, but he checks all the boxes. Great tape, great Senior Bowl, great combine, great character, great scheme fit. Only weakness is arm length. But this is an outside zone monster, playing center for an outside zone coach, in front of a RB that specializes in outside zone runs. Highest floor among all the linemen IMO. Moves Elflein to LG. 2nd choice: Chris Lindstrom, G. It could be argued that Lindstrom is an even better fit for the Vikings because he too is a zone blocker, doesn’t force anyone to move and he doesn’t have short arms. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if the Vikings think the same thing. Seriously can’t go wrong with either. 
2.50. - Deebo Samuel, WR, 5-11, 214, 4.44 fortyDiggs-like footwork on his routes. Strong, tough fighter at the top of his stems. Reliable hands. Can also return. My pick for the best receiver from this class 3 years from now. 2nd choice: Josh Oliver, TE. A true move TE who can line up tight, in the slot or out wide. 
2.63. - Kaleb McGary, T, 6-7, 317, 5.0 forty.Would love Howard here but I doubt he drops this far. McGary is best damn ass blocker in the draft. :-) A ready-now player and a prototype at right tackle. His arm length isn’t ideal (and he has a heart thing), only reason he might last this long. But he’s a terrific run blocker that has the ability to start from day one. 2nd choice: Dalton Risner, G/C/T
3.81. - Dre’mont Jones, DT, 6-3, 285, 5.15 fortyVikings need more pass rushers and I’m convinced they’ll take one before end of day two. Jones needs to get stronger, but he’s a prototype penetrating 3T and fits well into what Zimmer wants to do. 2nd choice: Rennel Wren, DT. Wren's a great athlete whose production didn’t match his traits. Another piece of clay for Andre Patterson to mold.
4.115. - Dawson Knox, TE, 6-4, 254, 4.5 forty (Vikings trade Riley Reiff and a 2020 5th to Carolina for their 4th rounder)Vikings continue to clear cap space by trading Reiff and adding Rudolph’s eventual replacement. Knox is a better blocker than Fant and he’s faster than Hockenson. Smart player(38 wonderlic). All the weapons at Ole Miss disguised a more talented player than can be seen from his numbers. I love players like that. 2nd choice: Nate Davis, G
4.120. - Justin Hollins, DE, Oregon, 6-5, 249, 4.46 fortyThis is a Danielle Hunter HWS pick. Unbelievable athlete who needs development. 2nd choice: John Cominski, DT. Cominski is listed as a DE, but you move him inside you might really have something. 
5.140. - Jimmy Moreland, CB, 5-11, 175, 4.4 forty.(Vikings get 5th rounder by trading Laquon Treadwell and a 2020 6th to Mike Mayock). Small school corner getting a lot of buzz since he put on a show at the Senior Bowl. Deebo Samuel said he was the best corner he faced all week. 2nd choice: Saivian Smith, CB 
6.190. - Rodney Anderson, RB, 6-0, 224, no fortyAnderson ran behind Oklahoma’s great zone blocking line.  Catches the ball well out of the backfield. Plagued by injuries every season, otherwise Anderson may have been a 1st round pick. 2nd choice: Devine Ozigbo, RB, 6-0, 235, 4.55 forty
6.209. - Ulysees Gilbert III, 6-1, 230, 4.48 fortyGilbert's a big-time athlete with great instincts. Scored 5 TDs during his time at Akron. Should be a very good special teams player. 2nd choice: Terrill Hanks, LB, 6-2, 239, 5.02 forty
7.247. - Easton Stick, QBStick had a terrible Shrine week, but he’s a dual threat QB who put up some great numbers at NDSU. I could see him being a very effective RPO QB and much more legitimate competition for Sloter than Mannion. 2nd choice: Jakob Dolegala, QB, 6-6, 235
7.250 - Ty Johnson, RB/RS, 5-9, 205, 4.3 fortyFirst heard about Johnson back in January and started watching his clips. Dude can fly. Wasn’t invited to the combine, but was timed by some scouts at his pro day in the 4.2s. 2nd choice: Malik Gant, S, 6-2, 200

How does the line look going into camp…
LT - Brian O’Neill, HillLG - Pat Elflein, CollinsC - Garrett Bradbury, ElfleinRG - Josh Kline, CollinsRT - Kaleb McGary, Hill
Vikings now have the makings of a very good offensive line. Vikings also get cap relief for 19 and 20 by taking Waynes’, Reiff’s and Treadwell’s money off the books, and Rudolph’s in 20. 

Excellent GM ing MB.  i fret about dumping Reiff bc i like his game and think he would be elite G. To get rudys replacement with the value eases some of the pain

i think the risk is obviously at the T spot, but i am hoping Kubes can solve it and we finally get the bride 

Awesome! Does Hughes replace Waynes?

I'd take a wholesale line change like that, no doubt. But starting a rookie center and rookie RT is going to be tough sledding for the first half of the season for sure. 

Quote: @Bullazin said:
Excellent GM ing MB.  i fret about dumping Reiff bc i like his game and think he would be elite G. To get rudys replacement with the value eases some of the pain

i think the risk is obviously at the T spot, but i am hoping Kubes can solve it and we finally get the bride 
I struggled with Reiff. How does a team so desperate for offensive line help trade its best offensive lineman? We do it only if we're able to draft a tackle in the 1st two rounds. But I think the Vikings need help on two fronts: the line and the cap. This is not a rebuilding year, but if we make a few key moves, we can find ourselves with a promising young line and 20-30 more in cap space next year. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I'd take a wholesale line change like that, no doubt. But starting a rookie center and rookie RT is going to be tough sledding for the first half of the season for sure. 
Maybe not. Indy started a Rookie LG and RT last year along with a Seahawks bust at RG and did quite well. Granted that LG was Nelson, a true Blue Chip guy. And their Center is no slouch. May be the exception to the rule but proof that it can be done.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
I think Hughes in his 2nd season will be better than Waynes. Mack Alexander is the nickel, Kearse the big nickel. Hill and Moreland are depth. Almost as important, we're able to convert Waynes into currency for OL help (McGary) and cap space for maneuverability this summer. Maybe we add a RT like Schraeder or another corner after June 1st. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@FSUVike said:
I think Hughes in his 2nd season will be better than Waynes. Mack Alexander is the nickel, Kearse the big nickel. Hill and Moreland are depth. Almost as important, we're able to convert Waynes into currency for OL help (McGary) and cap space for maneuverability this summer. Maybe we add a RT like Schraeder or another corner after June 1st. 

I absolutely agree that Hughes is ahead of where Waynes was at the same point in their development. Too late to move Mac back outside, though that is his more natural position.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I think of two offensive lines. Atlanta about 3 years ago and the Colts last year. Both lines went from nearly worst to nearly first, just through a couple of draft picks and moving a player or two. I think I heard that the Colts had the worst sack total in '17 and in '18 had the best. No, there is no Quenton Nelson in this draft, but Bradbury (in an outside zone) can have that kind of impact IMO. 

This is a good mock and definitely makes some bold moves to address the O-line. Dre'Mount Jones is a guy I personally like but haven't written much about. Teams are over analyzing him due to his size which could end up being good news for MN. If you look at him purely as a situational pass rushing 3-tech he fits what MN looks for. If you talk about a 4-man rotation of Linval, Stephen, Jaleel Johnson, and Jones they'd be able to show a variety of different looks. 

The one pick I am not a fan of is Knox. His lack of stats definitely has a lot to do with Ole Miss' strong WR's and scheme. After watching a few games I had the takeaway that he doesn't necessarily make himself available for the ball all that much. Watch the plays he gets the ball vs. not. You can see a difference in how quickly he comes off the snap when he knows he potentially could get the ball. Regardless, he's a good value in the 4th.