Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings add backup quarterback Sean Mannion
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/sean-mannion-16813/

Mannion signed a 1 year deal worth $900k.

It's the total opposite that is true; we have a lot of confidence in Sloter and $900k in Mannion is simply affordable due diligence. If we are caught with our pants down here we have another option that hopefully shows something. Absolute worst case probably being Sloter melting and Mannion earning the #2 by default; it'd imply the front office was completely wrong in it's attempt to stack the deck in Sloter's favor.

I'd understand hating this move if someone didn't like Sloter's odds in general or felt like there are clear cut better backup options. There's a point though where that players' "potential" outclasses Sloter's, and i'm hypothetically assuming that player would also be demanding too much money to have a real competition involving Sloter...  Generally I hate this with starters, but we're talking about the backup spot. Probably the best place to "stack the roster," so to speak. Giving Sloter a challenge he should be able to overcome isn't bad at all - unless he can't win it. Then yea, we're stuck with Mannion...

Thinking more about this.  Is there any chance that we signed this guy... just so our offensive staff (and defensive staff, for that matter) could pick his brain about the Rams' offense?  It gives us a back-up QB (which is a low-level need)... AND may help us beat the reigning conference champ.  So... *maybe* the move makes some sense?

Looking at this deal, it's 1 year for 900k...  it certainly doesn't mean that Mannion is going to slot in as the #2 QB.  It looks like a move to give Sloter some competition to make him earn the backup QB spot.  If Sloter beats him out, the Vikings will likely cut Mannion...  I also wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings bring in an UDFA or late round QB to add some competition at that spot before training camp.

I don't know why some are freaking out about every signing...  I mean we signed Dakota Dozier and Brett Jones last week, but I'd be surprised if both make the regular season roster.  Remember...  rosters get expanded to 90 players this time of year.  Most of these signings aren't going to make the final 53.

Reading responses I agree with the idea that this ain't a shoe-in #2 thing. Sloter and this guy are 2A and 2B now.
I hate when I put my shoe in #2.

Team is screwed. I won't even bother watching the season now.

Cheap depth and a nod to Pumpf’s point about Mannions knowledge in Mcvey’s system.  You can only invest so much at a position. We will live and die with Cousins and hope if he gets hurt that Sloter or Mannion can manage the game for our defense

I don't think people are "freaking out" over this signing, just surprising the lack of confidence in Sloter. We outbid everyone for this guy, time to see if he sinks or swims. 

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
Mannion made $800k last season...
Sloter made $600k.

I think Mannion is a good type of QB to bring in to compete with Sloter. He has a sliver of experience, he's young, and he won't be priced into keeping the job. We can have a genuine competition and move on from the loser with little to no hard feelings.

There is a contractual line that ends real competition. Did Sloter seem to have any real shot at replacing Trevor Siemian last year? No, and i'd guess it's because Trevor was making $1.9 million... we ain't gonna eat that and roll the dice. The dynamic is the same trying to sign another QB on; if you overpay him there is no competition.

If Mannion is making $1.9 million in 2019 i'll eat my keyboard...
Yep.  Since when is competition bad?  Sloter isn't going to be handed the job, and we shouldn't go into the year expecting a raw 3rd year guy to be the only option.  But this gives Sloter legit competition without relegating him to #3 automatically.  And it doesn't put us out of drafting a mid round development guy either.
I have no issue with Sloter being the #2 this year, but I do have a problem with just assuming he is ready and handing it to him. 

Paying $900k for insight on a team that isn't even on our schedule this season? We're so confident looking ahead to playing the Rams in the playoffs that we're paying out $900k?

We're not the Cardinals.

Bleah.  Mannion makes Brooks Bollinger's arm look like Favre's.