Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'd be pretty happy with this mock
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
No real gripes with that draft at all. I'm not a huge fan of Tillery but think both Dillard and McGovern could be day one starters. I would probably wait on 3-tech and go with either Deebo or Parris Campbell. I would be very surprised if Campbell made it that far. 
Me too. He's getting some 1st round buzz right now. I think Kubiak would love what he would add to the offense. We have the middle routes covered well. We could use a bubble screen talent underneath and someone to take the top off. Campbell could do both.

BIG fan of Deebo. He may not have the speed of Campbell, but I think he's nearly bust proof. Great feet. Quick, wiley route runner. A prize fighter off the line and at the top of his stem. Very high floor. 

Two middle round guys I like are Terry Mclaurin and Riley Ridley. We end up with one of those four I'll be ecstatic. 
I'm a big fan of Mclaurin, however his name seems to be getting a lot of buzz now that he's had a good senior bowl, combine, and pro day. The reason teams were able to take away Diggs/Thielen last year was because there were no other pieces that could stretch the field vertically and horizontally. If they don't take a TE early on a gadget player who can at least keep defenses honest is a must. 

Name I've really been high on is Mecole Hardman. He has the pedigree the Vikings look for and would also be a shoe-in kick and punt returner. 

@"Wetlander" said:
The only thing I don't like about it is the Tillery pick will undoubtedly kick either Jaleel or Jalyn of the roster (unless Jalyn gets kicked outside to DE).  That's kind of a waste of an early 4th rounder if you have to cut one after a season or two.
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
No real gripes with that draft at all. I'm not a huge fan of Tillery but think both Dillard and McGovern could be day one starters. I would probably wait on 3-tech and go with either Deebo or Parris Campbell. I would be very surprised if Campbell made it that far. 
Interesting points about the 3T. The way I see it, you either take a clear upgrade (either 1st or 2nd round) or maybe not one at all. With Stephen, Holmes and Johnson, depth isn't really the problem, and adding another middle-round talent to that mix doesn't really achieve anything. 
I guess it depends what they're going to do with Holmes. I have no clue what the answer is. Ifeadi Odenigbo is also a consideration inside at 3T as well. Its safe to assume they didn't pay him active roster money to stick on their practice squad for no reason. 

I guess I don’t understand this draft at all.  We’re drafting a player to replace the best
player on our line.  Probably pushing
Reiff inside for a one year stint at G and then next year he moves on.  He looks like the draft profile of O’Neill,
where he’s quick against speed rushers, but potential liability against Bull
Rushers and not strong enough in the run game. 
We’re drafting a G who seems to have the “Might turn into a starting
caliber G” in several of his draft profiles, while ignoring Lindstrom in the 2nd.

It seems like a recipe for another shitty OLine in 2019,
with promises of better things to come, and two holes at guard that need to be filled
in 2020.  Maybe I just don’t get this
outside zone offense, but I just think we need to get some guys who are stout
on the line.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
I guess I don’t understand this draft at all.  We’re drafting a player to replace the best
Reiff inside for a one year stint at G and then next year he moves on.  He looks like the draft profile of O’Neill,
caliber G” in several of his draft profiles, while ignoring Lindstrom in the 2nd.

with promises of better things to come, and two holes at guard that need to be filled
on the line.

I think Reiff could handle the interior better than Remmers did...  and it would give him an opportunity to help the young guy learn right next to him.  If the draft fell this way, I would take Lindstrom at 50 since he's a Day 1 starter and we could easily plug him in at RG (where he played most of his college career).
Then you have Dillard, Reiff, Elf, Lindstrom, O'Neill.  That's a major improvement in talent over Reiff, Compton, Injured Elf, Remmers, and O'Neill.  Add in Aviante Collins, Kline, Hill, and Isidora and you have a pretty good set of backups in the event of injury.

Dillard is the most polished pass blocker at either Tackle position in this Draft according to everyone. He's coming out of a gimmicky system where he wasn't asked to do a lot of run blocking. It's not like he's some undersized dude who can't run block, he just needs to be coached up on it.

O'Neill was a TE conversion still needing to add weight by the time he made it to the NFL.

There is very little to compare between the two. Including where Brian was drafted and where Andre will be drafted.

Reiff is aging, hurt a lot and kinda pricey. IF Dillard is still available at #18 it's a no-brainer. Snag a LG in the 2nd or 3rd and he becomes expendable.

I think Reiff could be an elite LG.  He is so much better than Remmers ever could dream to be.   He has great length anchor and his feet are still good.  He is a man in run blocking.  The point is as FSU says, can he stay healthy.  I see some are backing off their Lindstrom at 18.  I would jump for joy if he was there at 50

Quote: @"medaille" said:

on the line.
It sounds like you'd prefer a gap scheme. And the perfect draft pick. Neither is an option. 

Yes, Dillard has flaws, as does Williams, Taylor, Ford, Risner, Bradbury, Lindstrom....and Reiff. My thought is that if you can draft a left tackle who can seal off your QB's blind side so you can get more out of him, despite his run blocking weakness you have to think long and hard about that.

I wouldn't read too much into draft profiles. Dillard is plenty big and plenty strong to be an effective run blocker. He was just wasn't asked to do it much in Mike Leach's pass-crazy offense. What's more, they're written for "anyteam." Dillard might not be what you want in a run-heavy gap scheme, but he should kill it in a zone. Big defensive linemen hate playing zone schemes. They want you to man up; that's where they win. Against a zone, they can't effectively use their size and strength, especially in the run game, where they're always getting hit from the side.

Quote: @"Bullazin" said:
I think Reiff could be an elite LG.  He is so much better than Remmers ever could dream to be.   He has great length anchor and his feet are still good.  He is a man in run blocking.  The point is as FSU says, can he stay healthy.  I see some are backing off their Lindstrom at 18.  I would jump for joy if he was there at 50
I'm not...  Dillard is the only pure OT prospect I'd take at 18.  I doubt he falls that far and if he doesn't, I would take Lindstrom at 18.

Look at all the teams around the league that struggle to field a good OL and how few good OL make it to free agency...  

A first round pick is supposed to be a Day 1 starter...  Lindstrom would be that so what does it matter if we get him at 18 or 25 or 40?  He's a perfect scheme fit and has some good film out there that shows a high floor.

I said the same thing about Cody Whitehair a couple years ago and he's been a very good starter since his rookie season.  

@"medaille" said:

on the line.
It sounds like you'd prefer a gap scheme. And the perfect draft pick. Neither is an option. 

Yes, Dillard has flaws, as does Williams, Taylor, Ford, Risner, Bradbury, Lindstrom....and Reiff. My thought is that if you can draft a left tackle who can seal off your QB's blind side so you can get more out of him, despite his run blocking weakness you have to think long and hard about that.

I wouldn't read too much into draft profiles. Dillard is plenty big and plenty strong to be an effective run blocker. He was just wasn't asked to do it much in Mike Leach's pass-crazy offense. What's more, they're written for "anyteam." Dillard might not be what you want in a run-heavy gap scheme, but he should kill it in a zone. Big defensive linemen hate playing zone schemes. They want you to man up; that's where they win. Against a zone, they can't effectively use their size and strength, especially in the run game, where they're always getting hit from the side.
My biggest concern with Dillard is that he’s an OT only
prospect.  It pretty much assures you’re
going to move Reiff to LG, so you have extra risk at two positions instead of
just one position.  You are hoping that
Reiff makes the transition to G and hoping that Dillard is better than Reiff.

I think strength concerns are generally overrated, because
these guys should have no problem improving strength over time.  I am worried about short term strength
issues, because 2/3 of our returning lineman had serious concerns with their
strength last year and you are hoping they improve to a functional level in
2019.  If they struggle to improve their
strength as much as we need, I think we’d be better off with a Cody Ford type
guy who has no strength concerns at all, because we’re burning through our
window as it is.
I get gap schemes better than zone schemes though.

Can't believe the TE Sternberger won't be taken in the first 3 rds.