Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who says no?
Waynes is way more valuable than that.  If we can't get a 2d round pick for him, then keep him. Kick this can down the road another year. He should net a 3d round comp pick eventually. And any team that trades for him will probably want to extend him. A CB of his quality at his age for $9M is not a bad deal at all. Behind him we have Hughes (who blew out his knee) and Hill - and we really cannot trust him yet.
One caveat: if we know we are not going to be in contention this year then sure, trade him for whatever we can get and start bringing in younger players.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I say Waynes for Rosen and the Cards 5th round pick.
unless the above were to happen, i would keep him for his value this year even if it meant letting waynes go in 20. you never know what can happen a year from now.

Quote: @kmillard said:
@JimmyinSD said:
unless the above were to happen, i would keep him for his value this year even if it meant letting waynes go in 20. you never know what can happen a year from now.
I think the team still needs to clear some cap space this year,  no better way than moving Waynes and getting a project QB (fills a need) and adding a draft pick in the process.  I dont really want to trade him,  but if he has another decent season its really unlikely we retain him next year from what I am seeing with our cap.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@kmillard said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I think the team still needs to clear some cap space this year,  no better way than moving Waynes and getting a project QB (fills a need) and adding a draft pick in the process.  I dont really want to trade him,  but if he has another decent season its really unlikely we retain him next year from what I am seeing with our cap.
agreed unless Rhodes gets old in 19 and you dump him next year?
still think Griff should be cut. Zim has enough security blankets.

Quote: @kmillard said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@kmillard said:
@JimmyinSD said:
agreed unless Rhodes gets old in 19 and you dump him next year?
still think Griff should be cut. Zim has enough security blankets.
i dont see them making that move until 21 at the soonest.  he would be over 4 milllion in dead cap if cut next year unless they waited until after june 1st but that would be a dick move to hold a vet that long and then cut him for cap space.

We'd only be dumping him for salary cap issues.  Otherwise he's our starter for 2019.  We'll need to find some salary cap somewhere.  Whether thats from a Waynes trade or from some cuts like Reiff or renegotiations who knows but we'll need to clear some room this year. 

I think trading Waynes for draft capital at this time is the right move.  He is young and probably still improving.Reading many of the comments he is considered pretty good.So the question is how much would it take to extend him in 2020?Here are some recent deals given to comparable players ...Trumaine Johnson - 5 years 72.5 mil
Desmond Trufant - 5 years 68.75 milAJ Bouye - 5 years 67.5 milStephon Gilmore - 5 years 65 milKyle Fuller - 4 years 56 milDarius Slay - 4 years 48.15 mil
How much is it going to take to keep Alexander in 2020?Here are some recent deals given to comparable players ...Justin Coleman - 4 years 36 milAaron Colvin - 4 years 34 mil
Travis Carrie - 4 years 31 mil
Bobby McCain - 4 years 27 milTavon Young - 3 years 25.8 mil.
Keeping Waynes at his 9 mil cap number for insurance purposes this year brings comfort but does not help down the line.I think the team has two years left before a few players will be on the decline.Reiff, Smith, Joseph, Rudoph, & Griffen could all be cap casualties in 2 years although Smith is the one player who could continue on effectively similar to Eric Weddle (I hope).
There are still plenty of free agent corners available that likely will get small deals (1 to 2 mil).
Morris Claiborne, Rashaan Melvin, Capt Munnerlyn, EJ Gaines, & Orlando Scandrick to name a few.
I just do not see the Vikings getting a high draft pick in return for Waynes considering he only has one year left on his deal and has not achieved any accolades like being named to the Pro Bowl.
I also and never a fan of waiting and hoping on a compensatory pick which comes a year later and could prevent you from improving in free agency.

It’s too late to trade Waynes for cap relief.  It’s not like we need to free up money to get
that top of the line OG.

The only reason to trade Waynes is to acquire draft capital
now, so if all we’re getting is a 4th and some change, I’d rather
use him for a year and get the comp pick later. 
We’re in the prime of our window right now.  We need talented players, not day 3
guys.  If we get a second, things get
interesting.

I'm not sure what Rosen has to do with anything.  We already have one QB we're not sure about (Cousins)... and another that we aren't sure about (Sloter).  Now we want to add another "maybe"?  The Vikes are committed to Cousins (which is a good thing, because- come hell or highwater- we have our "starter").  If, after another season like this, we remain unsure... then I think it's fair to start sniffing around for other options.  But if Arizona is willing to let him go, rather than build around him... shouldn't that say something?

Quote: @medaille said:
It’s too late to trade Waynes for cap relief.  It’s not like we need to free up money to get
that top of the line OG.

The only reason to trade Waynes is to acquire draft capital
now, so if all we’re getting is a 4th and some change, I’d rather
use him for a year and get the comp pick later. 
We’re in the prime of our window right now.  We need talented players, not day 3
guys.  If we get a second, things get
interesting.
Really good points and it makes the decision difficult.  But that 9 mil can go a long ways as well.
They could give Thielen and Alexander new deals now with that money.
Having the insurance may the corner position is nice but I think the draft capital and a younger player who is less expensive is probably the prudent thing to do.
Like if they draft Isaiah Johnson or Justin Layne with that 4th round pick and let Zimmer develop him.  They have him for 4 years for cheap.
I don't know.  I was just throwing it out there based on the reports that the Vikings were shopping Waynes at the combine and rumors that they still are.