Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings to Host Josh Kline for Visit
Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
This is beyond frustrating. Year after year this team seems to scramble for table scraps and others leftovers to fill a vital unit. Going back to 2002 McKinnie we have since drafted 1 offensive lineman in round 1. This is Rick's problem now but it's a Viking thing long before him. 
Let's keep changing QB's and drafting WR's in the 1st round but wonder why the offense just doesn't sustain. Year 2 for our latest QB. That in itself is a rarity almost. Looks like we are at least one more year from being able to address this for Kirk. Will we or be looking for another QB to not protect after year 3.
I'm afraid it's going to be a long year. Really more so a short one again. I was feeling alot better this time last year.
It is feeling like the last year before a major housecleaning, unfortunately.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"kmillard" said:
He gives up lots of sacks and pressures. I can see why Spielman likes him.
LOL.

Desperate times in Vikingland. Spielman didn't see this scenario unfolding?? IMO, incredibly poor planning and lack of foresight.
Unfortunately, you could say this every offseason regarding the offensive line for at least the past 5 years or so.  It's so incredibly frustrating.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
And Minnesota wants to resign Simien. So Sloter still isn't ready? Ridiculous.
What a waste of a few millions dollars when we are so tight against the cap.  Sloter looks more than ready to me, and if Kirk goes down, I have zero confidence in Siemian saving the season anyways.  Might as well put Sloter in and see what he's got.  He's looked impressive every single time he's been on the field during his time in the NFL.

We all knew cap was going to keep us out of the few tier1 OL talents this FA period. FA was maybe going to offer some depth, no silver bullets. 

Not going to catch me shedding any tears seeing Compton or Remmers go. Losing Easton sucks, but the market for him as a starting center gave him a good opportunity. 

Would like to see us trade an asset to get an OL asset and take some pressure off the draft. 

I don't hear enough talk about how improvement can also come from Dennison coaching and a good running game strategy from the rest of the Kubiak crew now residing in Eagan.  

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
This is beyond frustrating. Year after year this team seems to scramble for table scraps and others leftovers to fill a vital unit. Going back to 2002 McKinnie we have since drafted 1 offensive lineman in round 1. This is Rick's problem now but it's a Viking thing long before him. 
Let's keep changing QB's and drafting WR's in the 1st round but wonder why the offense just doesn't sustain. Year 2 for our latest QB. That in itself is a rarity almost. Looks like we are at least one more year from being able to address this for Kirk. Will we or be looking for another QB to not protect after year 3.
I'm afraid it's going to be a long year. Really more so a short one again. I was feeling alot better this time last year.
thats the feeling I am getting,  there is talent on the team no doubt,  but that talent isnt spread around enough.  we have so many tier 1 players that we cant afford even tier 3 players at the other spots including backups.   we will make a run,  come up short once again and the Wilfs will either blow it up.... or continue to allow the same thing...neither of which is promising IMO.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"kmillard" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
thats the feeling I am getting,  there is talent on the team no doubt,  but that talent isnt spread around enough.  we have so many tier 1 players that we cant afford even tier 3 players at the other spots including backups.   we will make a run,  come up short once again and the Wilfs will either blow it up.... or continue to allow the same thing...neither of which is promising IMO.
We have a layer of top talent with nothing behind it - it's why we suffer so greatly when anyone gets hurt, and every year end up saying things like, "Waah we should have won those 2 games when Rhodes was hurt, and the 4 games where Cook was hurt..."
I know the easy explanation for our salary cap troubles is Cousins, but other teams have expensive QBs and still have cap space - Packers, Lions, Saints, Falcons all had or have space to add players. But those teams don't have 8 veteran defensive players using up $80M in cap space.
Some people don't believe in planning for windows of seasons to compete, but it's hard to avoid in the post-cap NFL. I think the Vikings paid their defensive core for a window, but it was roughly 2016-18, and it's closed or closing. Now they should be selectively letting some leave and retooling. But I don't think Zimmer can do that - maybe if he was starting with a blank slate like in 2014, but not with a group he's attached to.

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
Zimmer will have to do his every other year magic to avoid that. When I expect less he's gotten more. When I think we arrived we fall out of the playoffs all together. It's been a weird ride with this guy.  
I think most would agree if they fall short again it will be time for reorganization. Returning doesn't look that promising considering there's been little improvement so far. It might fall on better offensive coaching this year to make the jump. That's no given either.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"kmillard" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
We have a layer of top talent with nothing behind it - it's why we suffer so greatly when anyone gets hurt, and every year end up saying things like, "Waah we should have won those 2 games when Rhodes was hurt, and the 4 games where Cook was hurt..."
I know the easy explanation for our salary cap troubles is Cousins, but other teams have expensive QBs and still have cap space - Packers, Lions, Saints, Falcons all had or have space to add players. But those teams don't have 8 veteran defensive players using up $80M in cap space.
Some people don't believe in planning for windows of seasons to compete, but it's hard to avoid in the post-cap NFL. I think the Vikings paid their defensive core for a window, but it was roughly 2016-18, and it's closed or closing. Now they should be selectively letting some leave and retooling. But I don't think Zimmer can do that - maybe if he was starting with a blank slate like in 2014, but not with a group he's attached to.

or find a QB that doesnt have his head up his ass like Brady.. the dude gets it... a QB can cash in short term and be a flash in the pan as the team around his monster contract suffers... or take a bit less money and make sure the team you are playing with is better talented across the board.   the huge defensive salaries are very similar and IMO we should be looking to replace those big dollar contracts (regardlesss of name)  as soon as a suitable replacement is available.  it  doesnt have to be an equal level talent, but somebody that plays at a higher level for less money.  Its apparent that the myth of being able to afford Cousins and the Defense and still field a team is just that .. a myth.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"kmillard" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:

or find a QB that doesnt have his head up his ass like Brady.. the dude gets it... a QB can cash in short term and be a flash in the pan as the team around his monster contract suffers... or take a bit less money and make sure the team you are playing with is better talented across the board.   the huge defensive salaries are very similar and IMO we should be looking to replace those big dollar contracts (regardlesss of name)  as soon as a suitable replacement is available.  it  doesnt have to be an equal level talent, but somebody that plays at a higher level for less money.  Its apparent that the myth of being able to afford Cousins and the Defense and still field a team is just that .. a myth.
Yeah I get that. People really need to stop comparing any other organization to New England. They do things others simply can't. Either just that much more brilliant or way more crooked. I have no allusions that Brady is sacrificing anything financially. They have a secret hand shake deal to take care of him once he's off the books. 
They are like family. A mafia family. They all got too much dirt on each other to ever rat. 

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"kmillard" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:

Yeah I get that. People really need to stop comparing any other organization to New England. They do things others simply can't. Either just that much more brilliant or way more crooked. I have no allusions that Brady is sacrificing anything financially. They have a secret hand shake deal to take care of him once he's off the books. 
They are like family. A mafia family. They all got too much dirt on each other to ever rat. 
regardless of how they do it... Brady doesnt let ego get in the way... the rest of these guys its all about ego and wanting the biggest contract... and its that greed that is killing their chances of success.  honestly the best plan IMO would be to keep drafting high round QBs to make sure you always have quality on deck...if the current starter wants to break the bank.... send him packing,  should net a first round pick if hes worth a shit and then next man up.  the athleticism of the league is gotten to high to let the QB be eating such a huge amount of the cap space each year.