Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wait...Really?
Quote: @"holmanjp" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"holmanjp" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"holmanjp" said:
Yep and are sitting at $200,000 available cap space.
Rookie pool is estimated to be 6.8 million
Yes but they dont sign those players until summer and each signed player will replace somebody already on the roster so their cap hits will wash out to an extent.  A good way to see actual cap hit is to take number of picks times about half a million for a rough estimate so with out 9 picks it will be around 4.5 million.  Not a big difference but a few mill more than it appears.  Not to mention we will be seeing 5 to 10 million more coming from Griffs decision most likely and I doubt they are done there.

The cap situation is not good but not quite as dire as 200K.
How does it work with training camp bodies before final cuts??
Do they not get paid unless they make the team?
If I remember correctly, the 200k was with just over 53 maybe it was 56 players signed.
It isn't limited to camp bodies, but all players receive a set stipend for days spend in camp + a set salary for preseason games. So until opening week, everyone is making the same amount of money. The negotiated contract is only paid out over the 17 week regular season. 
Still a little confused.
So training camp and preseason game money is not counted against the salary cap.
I would guess those expenses could easily equal millions
It has no impact against the cap for any team. Very similar to teams who make the playoffs, no cap impact. 

Players receive per diem at a per day rate from the day they report to camp through the last preseason game played. After that their actually salaries would kick in through week 17. I believe the rookie per diem this year is $1,500 per day. Veterans is $2,000. If you wanted to ball park it the team expense is about $5M per team. Players receive around $50K for the month of work. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
As the new league year started Wednesday afternoon, the Vikings have just one guard with NFL experience (Danny Isidora) on their roster.
hell they have just one guard on their roster period...!  :o 

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
As the new league year started Wednesday afternoon, the Vikings have just one guard with NFL experience (Danny Isidora) on their roster.
hell they have just one guard on their roster period...!  :o 
And it won't even be noticeable... Wink