Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wait...Really?
As the new league year started Wednesday afternoon, the Vikings have just one guard with NFL experience (Danny Isidora) on their roster.

Yep and are sitting at $200,000 available cap space.
Rookie pool is estimated to be 6.8 million

Quote: @"holmanjp" said:
Maybe one of the more cap savvy poster can explain how we do this. I wonder now if we are in a situation where the team was forced into waiting to cut someone to spread the hit over 2 years or something. I admit I don't follow that closely the workings of the cap management. 

Yes but they dont sign those players until summer and each signed player will replace somebody already on the roster so their cap hits will wash out to an extent.  A good way to see actual cap hit is to take number of picks times about half a million for a rough estimate so with out 9 picks it will be around 4.5 million.  Not a big difference but a few mill more than it appears.  Not to mention we will be seeing 5 to 10 million more coming from Griffs decision most likely and I doubt they are done there.

The cap situation is not good but not quite as dire as 200K.

It's going to come from either a restructure of Griffen's contract or his outright release.  He knows it's coming and the balls in his court with the decision.  There is also the possibility of trading Waynes or Rhodes and freeing up even more space, but it's going to take a VERY good offer for that option to happen IMO. 

The Vikings purposely chose to be in this situation. 
There are plenty of ways to create cap space if need be.The primary one would be to convert salary to signing bonus. 
Hunter would be a great candidate to do this since he is the most likely to play out his entire deal.
They could not get involved in the Osemele trade or did not have enough to compete in the Zeitler trade.They released Remmers and have sat still while many of the offensive linemen are signed.AJ Cann, Billy Turner, Jamon Brown, James Carpenter, Ju'Waun James, Darryl Williams, Matt Paradis, Ty Nsekhe, etc.
There are still some older players like Iupati, Levitre, Lang, Veldheer, Sitton, & Wisniewski.Maybe they will snag one of these veterans for cheap?
They cant head to the draft needing linemen.They should take one or two (preferably).
Still time.

I won't be a bit surprise if several veterans start getting phone calls from Rick about restructuring contracts and taking one for the team...

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"holmanjp" said:
Yes but they dont sign those players until summer and each signed player will replace somebody already on the roster so their cap hits will wash out to an extent.  A good way to see actual cap hit is to take number of picks times about half a million for a rough estimate so with out 9 picks it will be around 4.5 million.  Not a big difference but a few mill more than it appears.  Not to mention we will be seeing 5 to 10 million more coming from Griffs decision most likely and I doubt they are done there.

How does it work with training camp bodies before final cuts??
Do they not get paid unless they make the team?
If I remember correctly, the 200k was with just over 53 maybe it was 56 players signed.

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"holmanjp" said:

If I remember correctly, the 200k was with just over 53 maybe it was 56 players signed.
It isn't limited to camp bodies, but all players receive a set stipend for days spend in camp + a set salary for preseason games. So until opening week, everyone is making the same amount of money. The negotiated contract is only paid out over the 17 week regular season. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"holmanjp" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"holmanjp" said:

It isn't limited to camp bodies, but all players receive a set stipend for days spend in camp + a set salary for preseason games. So until opening week, everyone is making the same amount of money. The negotiated contract is only paid out over the 17 week regular season. 
Still a little confused.
So training camp and preseason game money is not counted against the salary cap.
I would guess those expenses could easily equal millions