Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waynes
I'd say it's 70-30 they move him today.  Need the space.  Hopefully a mid 2nd.  Restructure Griffen and Rudolph, sign Easton, Tom Johnson and a kicker.  Gives us 4 picks in first 4 rounds.  Draft 2 OL, TE, WR and a DT in a later round.  

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
I don't think it affects trading Waynes once his deal is guaranteed.  If they do it then the other team would absorb the guaranteed amount.
That is correct. The only money you retain on the cap is cash paid out of your pocked to the player (signing bonus, roster bonus, etc..). Regardless of guarantee if you haven't paid it, the responsibility is moved to the acquiring team. 

Been trying to come up with some trade options for Waynes. Of course they could (and probably will) just trade him for draft picks, but considering the Vikings' interest in RT J. James, I suspect they're at least somewhat attracted to the idea of getting a RT, moving O'Neill to the left and then moving Reiff inside to RG. 

Here are three names the Vikings might be interested in...

1. Braden Smith, RT, Colts, 22
Smith was drafted just last year in the 2nd round. He's slotted to be the starter there this year. Not a great fit in a zone and his value is high. 

2. Germain Ifedi, RT, Seahawks, 24 years old
Drafted in the 1st round by the Seahawks in 2016 based on upside. Started 44 games in 3 seasons, but hasn't lived up to his 1st round billing. And they seem to like George Fant a little better there. 

3. Joe Haeg, RT, Colts, 26 years old
Started 35 games the last 3 seasons, despite being drafted in the 5th round in 2016. Probably out of a starting job due to Braden Smith, but he has the athleticism to play in a zone, can play all over the line, and he's from Minneapolis. Went to college at NDSU. 

The way they structured Barr's contact leaves room to fit Trae into the cap next season if they want to extend him. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
The way they structured Barr's contact leaves room to fit Trae into the cap next season if they want to extend him. 
Very curious to see what happens there. I like the idea of keeping the corners intact, but I keep looking over at the OL...as it sits...unimproved, while $84M of fully guaranteed money is hobbled until it is.  And by losing Richardson a DT at 18 is going to be very tempting. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Very curious to see what happens there. I like the idea of keeping the corners intact, but I keep looking over at the OL...as it sits...unimproved, while $84M of fully guaranteed money is hobbled until it is.  And by losing Richardson a DT at 18 is going to be very tempting. 
even with Richardson a DT would be tempting in this draft,  but losing a 3T in Richardson and adding back a more traditional guy in Stepehens makes me think that DT is still very much in play.  I am really wondering about one of those Iowa TEs as well.  and honestly ... I dont do mock drafts,  but as I was goofing around the other day I damn near selected the Ohio State QB when the Vikings slot came up.. wouldnt that set people on their ears?

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
The O-line is literally a black hole at this point considering they don't even have a guard with experience on the roster. The rest of free agency will probably help shape the draft a little more. Barr was probably the kingpin since it now has opened up what I deem to be the most possibilities moving forward. At a minimum they will resign Easton and if not him someone who can compete for one of the interior spots with Aviante Collins. Then they'll definitely be adding 2-3 bodies through the draft. 

D-line as a whole, Interior O-line, and TE are all deep which happen to be arguably some of the bigger needs. You should be able to find a starting caliber player day 1 at any of those position groups in each of rounds 1-3. Nice that they don't need to find a LB in a thin class. 

EDIT - one more point to add. Although they haven't spent a ton of money on the O-line, think about the cost control if they were able to draft starters... Given the current NFL marketplace if they could successfully pull that off it'd give you the advantage teams with rookie QB's have. 

i think we  will come out of  the  draft  with  two  starting   off linemen

Quote: @"Viking1987" said:

You really only have to come out of it with one starter in the sense that you will move O'Neill over to LT and move Reiff to LG. If you can hit on just one lineman early... That gives you essentially an all new line.

Quote: @"Canthony" said:
@"Viking1987" said:

You really only have to come out of it with one starter in the sense that you will move O'Neill over to LT and move Reiff to LG. If you can hit on just one lineman early... That gives you essentially an all new line.
how does moving 2 starters to new positions eliminate the need for 1 new starter?