Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waynes
A lot of great trade suggestions from the twit-o-sphere from fans of teams who need a corner, but all is quiet on the Waynes front. Waynes 2019 salary becomes fully guaranteed tomorrow. I'm assuming at 4 pm EST when the league year begins. Something has to happen soon....

Or not.  Hughes is coming back from a torn ACL that ended his rookie season pretty early.  Hill is an undrafted rookie who may have marijuana issues and may be suspended at any time.  In this market, $9M for a starting CB of Waynes' ability and 0 character issues is pretty cheap.

It's risky.  There were at least 3 CBs that missed significant playing time last year, but team's up against the cap have to make tough decisions on good players.  Hell, as of right now, the team is over the cap and absolutely have to sign a kicker.  It maybe another draft a kicker year, as veterans may make too much.

I wonder if he is a re-structure candidate: to extend him... and give him more guaranteed money... but spread it out over more years?

Quote: @"silverjoel" said:
It's risky.  There were at least 3 CBs that missed significant playing time last year, but team's up against the cap have to make tough decisions on good players.  Hell, as of right now, the team is over the cap and absolutely have to sign a kicker.  It maybe another draft a kicker year, as veterans may make too much.
Do we? Maybe we should just go for it on fourth down (if we're across the 50)... and go for 2 on each PAT.
Kidding (kind of)...

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
I wonder if he is a re-structure candidate: to extend him... and give him more guaranteed money... but spread it out over more years?

Definitely - if the team definitely wanted to keep him long-term, it has been their pattern to sign players before the final year of their contract starts.
But I think they are feverishly restructuring Rudolph and will waive Griffen tomorrow to get the space for Barr.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"pumpf" said:

Definitely - if the team definitely wanted to keep him long-term, it has been their pattern to sign players before the final year of their contract starts.
But I think they are feverishly restructuring Rudolph and will waive Griffen tomorrow to get the space for Barr.
Sounds right to me. Does that leave them any space to go after a Tier 2 Guard?

I don't think it affects trading Waynes once his deal is guaranteed.  If they do it then the other team would absorb the guaranteed amount.

I think there's a good chance to get a "53 man roster" quality CB from our UDFA process to be completely honest. Spielman and his crew get a decent group of guys together for camp after the draft and Zimmer is good at identifying who fits and stands out. DBs always seem to be a part of that process.

I think if you let Zim pick one guy at the position out of the UDFA class, that player will give all other newcomers at the position a good run for their money.

Unless you get a great offer I’d keep Wayne’s. He’s a good corner and great tackler. $9 million for a solid starting corner is reasonable. You get his services for another year and re-evaluate. A lot can happen in a year. If he walks, you’ll get a good compensatory pick.