Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer said Gary Kubiak has “big plans” for Treadwell
That@MarkSP18 said:
Quote:
@medaille said:
I think it really depends on how many options we have to replace him.  We're not going to outright cut him until after camp when we need the roster spot.  Might as well fluff him a little bit, and if we happen to bring in an upgrade then so be it.
If they can trade him they save 1.8 mil in cap space.
That is much better than keeping him through training camp IMHO.
May as well get a 7th (even if it is in 2020) now.
That's a good point.  I'm not sure how tradeable he actually is, but if we could get anything that would certainly be a way to go.

I think it is all about the money.  Even though he isnt worth the 1.8 million or what ever the amount is that he will make this season the only options in replacing him are with Beebe, draft a rookie or sign a free agent.  Beebe would be a cheaper option but the coaches for some reason must like Treadwell better.  Drafting a rookie gains the team even less than keeping Treadwell as the kid probobly would not even see the field in his first season.  As for signing a FA, that would cost double or more than what Treadwells contract demands.  Amandola, the 21st ranked FA wr this year just signed for 4.5 million for 1 year.  If the Vikings had alot of cap space I think Treadwell would be gone.  

I think all his money is guaranteed. So they can spread the cap hit over 2 years, but they are eating all of it.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@medaille said:
I think it really depends on how many options we have to replace him.  We're not going to outright cut him until after camp when we need the roster spot.  Might as well fluff him a little bit, and if we happen to bring in an upgrade then so be it.
Who would trade ANYTHING for him??? "Hmmm, the Vikings have a slow WR with bad hands and they have to pay him $1.8M even if they cut him. Hey, should we give them something for him? Or maybe just poke a sharp stick in my eye??" We would have to give some other team a draft pick to take him off our hands.
Troy Williamson was more valuable than Treadwell - at least you could send Williamson downfield on a fly route and he might pull a safety back and create more space for other receivers. In fact, look at the stats below for 2 different WRs, both drafted with #1 picks, receiving totals for first 3 seasons in the NFL all with Vikings:
WR #1: 56 catches, 517 yards, 1 TDs
WR #2: 79 catches, 1067 yards, 3 TDs
#1 is Treadwell, #2 is Troy Williamson (who could return kicks, too). Yes, one of the most deplored draft picks in Vikings history was TWICE AS PRODUCTIVE AS TREADWELL.

I'm afraid that Kubiak's big plan is something like bulking Treadwell up to 240 and using him as a flex TE. Why bother?

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@medaille said:
Who would trade ANYTHING for him??? "Hmmm, the Vikings have a slow WR with bad hands and they have to pay him $1.8M even if they cut him. Hey, should we give them something for him? Or maybe just poke a sharp stick in my eye??" We would have to give some other team a draft pick to take him off our hands.
Troy Williamson was more valuable than Treadwell - at least you could send Williamson downfield on a fly route and he might pull a safety back and create more space for other receivers. In fact, look at the stats below for 2 different WRs, both drafted with #1 picks, receiving totals for first 3 seasons in the NFL all with Vikings:
#1 is Treadwell, #2 is Troy Williamson (who could return kicks, too). Yes, one of the most deplored draft picks in Vikings history was TWICE AS PRODUCTIVE AS TREADWELL.

I'm afraid that Kubiak's big plan is something like bulking Treadwell up to 240 and using him as a flex TE. Why bother?

he blocks better than any flex TE in the game,  why not give it a try?  he is a sunk cost at this point and the cap relief from cutting him is negligible... if they can convert him and he catches on its a win no matter what happens after this year.  cut him you get nothing, at least if he makes it to FA you might get a later round comp pick.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@medaille said:

he blocks better than any flex TE in the game,  why not give it a try?  he is a sunk cost at this point and the cap relief from cutting him is negligible... if they can convert him and he catches on its a win no matter what happens after this year.  cut him you get nothing, at least if he makes it to FA you might get a later round comp pick.

Sure, try it, but he catches worse than any flex TE in the game, and receiving is what you want from that role. I agree with you he is a sunk cost and his trade value is zero, so they can try anything they want. I just don't have any positive expectations left.

@JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@medaille said:

Sure, try it, but he catches worse than any flex TE in the game, and receiving is what you want from that role. I agree with you he is a sunk cost and his trade value is zero, so they can try anything they want. I just don't have any positive expectations left.
or maybe Kubiak has some new gloves to try... remember shaincoe....he was shit until he got some different gloves,  Tread just needs some magic gloves.

@MarkSP18 said:
@medaille said:

Not arguing too much in Treadwells favor as he doesn’t
deserve it, but their circumstances are notably different in that Williamson (and
Patterson) was brought in to be our primary receiver without much competition
for targets and was given too much flack because of how much we needed him and
how much he wasn’t Moss.  We forcefed him
the ball more and it didn’t produce.  Treadwell
was brought to be the 2nd man after Diggs, and then Thielen blew up before
Treadwell even got on the field.  He got
half as many targets as Williamson did over 3 years.  If we didn’t have Diggs or Thielen, and our
best receivers were Marcus Robinson or Travis Taylor, Treadwell would probably
get more looks and more anger.

The WR room needs a new doorstop. 

Quote: @medaille said:
@Jor-El said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@medaille said:

Not arguing too much in Treadwells favor as he doesn’t
deserve it, but their circumstances are notably different in that Williamson (and
Patterson) was brought in to be our primary receiver without much competition
for targets and was given too much flack because of how much we needed him and
how much he wasn’t Moss.  We forcefed him
the ball more and it didn’t produce.  Treadwell
was brought to be the 2nd man after Diggs, and then Thielen blew up before
Treadwell even got on the field.  He got
half as many targets as Williamson did over 3 years.  If we didn’t have Diggs or Thielen, and our
best receivers were Marcus Robinson or Travis Taylor, Treadwell would probably
get more looks and more anger.

You could also look at it the other way.  Treadwell had a very established #1 WR in front of him, meaning he faced less pressure and saw the opponent's 2nd and 3rd string CBs every week, especially after Thielen also started producing.  He should have been able to take advantage of those opportunities and instead has utterly failed at every turn.

He also got half the targets of Williamson because 3 different QBs have shown they trust throwing the ball to him about as much as they trust a fart after a drunken late-night run to Taco Bell.