Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geoff Nichols!! Where you at!! We need an UPDATE! :) SKOL!!!!
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
I'm here! Sorry I've just been so busy early this spring that I haven't been able to put together a thorough breakdown. I actually have it laid out but finding the time to write it up is a whole different story.

If you guys want to post some questions I would be more than willing to answer them the best I can! 
What do you think the Vikings do to replace Barr? There doesn’t seem to be a replacement for him on the roster.

Geoff: do you think the vikings sign any free agent offensive linemen. also, how do you think they fill 3rd WR?

Quote: @Tyr said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
I'm here! Sorry I've just been so busy early this spring that I haven't been able to put together a thorough breakdown. I actually have it laid out but finding the time to write it up is a whole different story.

If you guys want to post some questions I would be more than willing to answer them the best I can! 
What do you think the Vikings do to replace Barr? There doesn’t seem to be a replacement for him on the roster.
Two options:

1. They draft a replacement high with the expectation they start day 1.

2. They create a committe with Wilson allowing them to play bigger in their base defense and sub into their nickel grouping. My worry in relying on Wilson is he doesnt have the size to eat block like Barr does, which is inportant in Zimmers scheme. 

Quote: @Lee 19 said:
Geoff: do you think the vikings sign any free agent offensive linemen. also, how do you think they fill 3rd WR?
I’m sure they will sign at least 1-2 free agents. Will they be top of the market names? Probably not both. 

WR3 is an intersting question since they need another option. Probably a draft need given the money WR’s get on the open market. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Amazonviking said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
What are the chance they move Wayne's?  And do they get a 2nd rounder for him?  Same could be asked about Grif, but probably not looking at a 2nd, what could they get?
I'm not the Guru, but here's my prediction:

Waynes.
I'd say the chances of them moving him are about 90%. Those combine rumors are almost never without some basis in fact. A 2nd rounder is maybe a little high. Arguing for a 2nd are his age and 1st-round pedigree. Arguing for a 4th are the facts that he hasn't quite lived up to his 11th overall billing and his contact. So I think a 3rd is the most likely straight-up value.  I guess we'll find out soon. 

Griffen.
Everson is a different story. Age, contract and mental health are all working against us. I'd put his straight up value in the 6th round, but like a sub-prime mortgage, it will likely be tied up in some sort of package. It wouldn't surprise me too much if they simply released him. 
I think the corner discussion is an interesting one. Agree with where you land on the valuation with Waynes. The question becomes whether you can force an overpay. Personally Waynes is going to net you a comp 3rd if he walks. Aside from that you get another year to see if X rebounds and an above average CB2 while Hughes is coming off his ACL. 

If a team strikes out on the CB market in FA (which isn't very good or deep) I could see the Vikings having a legitimate chance of grabbing a 2. Although they could use the cap slow playing it may end up working out best. But ultimately it is the easiest way to garner some space while also adding an asset that likely will become an O-lineman via the draft. 

@MaroonBells said:
@Amazonviking said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
What are the chance they move Wayne's?  And do they get a 2nd rounder for him?  Same could be asked about Grif, but probably not looking at a 2nd, what could they get?

Waynes.
I'd say the chances of them moving him are about 90%. Those combine rumors are almost never without some basis in fact. A 2nd rounder is maybe a little high. Arguing for a 2nd are his age and 1st-round pedigree. Arguing for a 4th are the facts that he hasn't quite lived up to his 11th overall billing and his contact. So I think a 3rd is the most likely straight-up value.  I guess we'll find out soon. 

Griffen.
Everson is a different story. Age, contract and mental health are all working against us. I'd put his straight up value in the 6th round, but like a sub-prime mortgage, it will likely be tied up in some sort of package. It wouldn't surprise me too much if they simply released him. 
I think the corner discussion is an interesting one. Agree with where you land on the valuation with Waynes. The question becomes whether you can force an overpay. Personally Waynes is going to net you a comp 3rd if he walks. Aside from that you get another year to see if X rebounds and an above average CB2 while Hughes is coming off his ACL. 

If a team strikes out on the CB market in FA (which isn't very good or deep) I could see the Vikings having a legitimate chance of grabbing a 2. Although they could use the cap slow playing it may end up working out best. But ultimately it is the easiest way to garner some space while also adding an asset that likely will become an O-lineman via the draft. 
i always view future picks as worth 1 round less than face value,  so a 3 after next year IMO is really a 4 (more like a 5 since comp picks are at the end of the round)  while a trade this year prior to the draft would be at actual face value,  and while we would lose the use of Waynes his final year,  we would see the cap savings as well as the use of what ever player we are able to get with his draft compensation.   I dont know how the Hill deal will turn out, but I wouldnt count on Hughes to be ready to step in game 1,  so ..... do we approach it as needing Waynes more this season, or the cap relief and potential draft picks that moving him creates?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Amazonviking said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Waynes.

Griffen.

i always view future picks as worth 1 round less than face value,  so a 3 after next year IMO is really a 4 (more like a 5 since comp picks are at the end of the round)  while a trade this year prior to the draft would be at actual face value,  and while we would lose the use of Waynes his final year,  we would see the cap savings as well as the use of what ever player we are able to get with his draft compensation.   I dont know how the Hill deal will turn out, but I wouldnt count on Hughes to be ready to step in game 1,  so ..... do we approach it as needing Waynes more this season, or the cap relief and potential draft picks that moving him creates?

Has Hill been standing around all this time now with a piss cup in his hand?

@MaroonBells said:
@Amazonviking said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Waynes.

Griffen.

Hey Geoff!! Very glad to see you here!! I just had to make a comment in reference to this post, specifically regarding Waynes netting a 3rd. If that happened (and I say this with all due respect to your knowledge regarding the team and your insider connections) I would puke!! NOT because I don’t agree with the compensation, but because I could TOTALLY see Rick parlaying that bright and shiny new 3rd rounder into a 5th and a couple of 7ths, or maybe 3 6’s and a bag of donuts....I will throw myself in front of the next shopping bus down from Saskatchewan if that happens.....

Losing Barr, Richardson and (probably) Griffen leaves big holes on this D. Under that scenario, front 7 on the D becomes as much of a priority as OL. Do they simply go BPA in that case with that #18 pick? 

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Amazonviking said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Waynes.

Griffen.

Has Hill been standing around all this time now with a piss cup in his hand?
I dont know... I havent been watching.  I do know that there are concerns over his poetential association with the bust on RT,  so although I havent seen him personally with a piss cup,  until the team or the league comes out and says he is cleared of the incident I would have concerns over his availability to start the season.