Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpEd: How much would a star No.3 receiver impact the Vikings’ offense?
Quote: @holmanjp said:
@suncoastvike said:
@purplefaithful said:
Here’s how Cousins performed when targeted each of his receivers that year (per Pro Football Focus):
— Garcon: 110 targets, 102.9 rating
— Crowder: 92 targets, 112.9 rating
— Jackson: 89 targets, 107.2 rating
Now compare that to the 2018 Vikings receivers.
— Thielen: 149 targets, 115.4 rating
— Diggs: 141 targets, 107.9 rating
— Treadwell47 targets80.3 rating
This seems like a weak link. I'm pretty much done with this guy.
Well Kirk could have targeted Adam 39 and Diggs 49 fewer times and thrown to Tread 88 more times.
Thielen: 110
Diggs: 92
Threadwell: 135

There are only so many pass attempts in a year. Kirk was right near the top.

Okay Thread is the weak link.
Point is, you can get a better 3rd, all it does is takes away from the other 2.
Not the targets that's the issue. Maybe the rating for #3 would be higher like Kirk did in Washington.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@holmanjp said:
@suncoastvike said:
@purplefaithful said:
Here’s how Cousins performed when targeted each of his receivers that year (per Pro Football Focus):
Well Kirk could have targeted Adam 39 and Diggs 49 fewer times and thrown to Tread 88 more times.

Not the targets that's the issue. Maybe the rating for #3 would be higher like Kirk did in Washington.
He caught 66% which is right there with some big names like Jones and Brown.

QB rating low is because Kirk likes to throw 3 yard passes when its 3rd and 7.
So ya the play was not successful.
He only had 1 TD also a ding on the rating.

I wonder what his rating was throwing to Robinson? 

@suncoastvike said:
@holmanjp said:
@suncoastvike said:
@purplefaithful said:

He caught 66% which is right there with some big names like Jones and Brown.

QB rating low is because Kirk likes to throw 3 yard passes when its 3rd and 7.
So ya the play was not successful.
He only had 1 TD also a ding on the rating.

I wonder what his rating was throwing to Robinson? 
Are you saying Tread was any good at anything other then the short stuff? Or that's all Kirk did?  I this point I really don't care how anybody spins it. Treadwell was another busted high WR pick. He's always almost, nearly, just about...then he isn't. I think that's all he'll ever be here. Maybe somewhere else. I'm tired of waiting on him. Give someone else a shot. 

Wanna help Cousins?

OL
TE
OL

Draft or free agency, I don't care, but it's hard to complete passes from your back

OLine is the most important upgrade, as it helps Cousins and lets us lean on the run when we need to.  That said, getting another receiving threat would go a long way.  The more receiving threats you have the better because it lets you lean a decent player against their worse coverage guys and it makes you more injury resilient.

Quote: @medaille said:
OLine is the most important upgrade, as it helps Cousins and lets us lean on the run when we need to.  That said, getting another receiving threat would go a long way.  The more receiving threats you have the better because it lets you lean a decent player against their worse coverage guys and it makes you more injury resilient.

The Viking's passing game relies so heavily on the play-action.  This takes some time and you need linemen that can sustain the pocket in order for the quarterback to go through the motions of setting it up.  In reality, our offensive line sucks.  Addressing the offensive line in either the draft/free agency or both.  This is a priority.

Who was the number 3 in MN in 2017?
Good question but no one has answered it here. The #3 receiver in both seasons was Kyle Rudolph, but after that it was, both years, a RB. In 2017, that player was Jerick McKinnon with 51 catches for 421 yards. In 2018 it was Dalvin Cook with 40 for 305. Fewer catches, lower ypc. Injuries, OL, and OC all were legitimate factors, but ultimately McKinnon was a more productive outlet receiver for Keenum in 2017.
But looking at RBs points to the bigger factor - rushing production. In 2017, Murray, McKinnon, and Cook gained +1750 yards on the ground, but in 2018 Cook and Murray had <1200. Upgrading our #3 WR from Treadwell would be a nice tweak, but give Cousins the same kind of running game Keenum had if you want to compare them. Maybe people are fantasizing about the wrong former Steeler to fix the Vikings offense??

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@medaille said:

The Viking's passing game relies so heavily on the play-action.  This takes some time and you need linemen that can sustain the pocket in order for the quarterback to go through the motions of setting it up.  In reality, our offensive line sucks.  Addressing the offensive line in either the draft/free agency or both.  This is a priority.

Totally agree.  I don’t
think we’re going to be completely limited to only fixing the OLine in terms of
spending FA money or draft picks.  I
think our secondary priority is on upgrading the offense in other areas, while
trusting Zimmer to work his magic on defense.

Half of the WRs in the AAF could do a better job...

Why does Kirk need the best trio of WR's?
Who was the number 3 in MN in 2017?

There is talk of getting him a better TE also.
Kyle ranked 7th and 10th in catches, yards, and TD's
Who was the TE for MN in 2017?
Just improve the O lime and stop with the excuses for this guy already.

All the experts said MN needed a better QB than they had in 2017.
So they fixed that with Kirk.

Now that it backfired, the rest of the team somehow needs improving?
How did it backfire?  The OL had a truly horrible season, Cook was still out much of the time, and our initial OC wasn't working well with Zimmer.

Oh, and that "3rd receiver", despite Cousins' attempts to work with him, is an undeniable bust...one that cost the Vikings dearly in some games.

Cousins has a TON to do to live up to his contract, but if the line can't keep a QB upright...any QB is toast.  The game is still won and lost in the trenches.

In the meantime, Cousins still managed numbers the Vikings hadn't seen in years...so the people determined to paint him as a failure are bizarre to me.