Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It never fails, stupid found me
Lol. I saw a Hovan jersey as well. One guy had a jersey so faded that is was see through in spots. The purple was all sad looking. The numbers were crumbling off. It had that nasty bright yellow on it. He was sitting next to a guy with a brand new jersey. The contrast was startling. I was like dude retire that crusty old thing. 

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
Saw a Hovan jersey the other day...... WTF? Unless it was actually Hovan the man wearing it I don't get it. THat guy was an absolute nothing. In fact he should have changed his name to Havno.

Plus he was a total jerk.  He stiffed my son (6 years old at the time) for an autograph.  He acted like it was such a chore and beneath him.  I lost all respect for him that day and I was glad when he was gone.

Quote: @"VikeMike52" said:
@"Mike Olson" said:
Saw a Hovan jersey the other day...... WTF? Unless it was actually Hovan the man wearing it I don't get it. THat guy was an absolute nothing. In fact he should have changed his name to Havno.

Plus he was a total jerk.  He stiffed my son (6 years old at the time) for an autograph.  He acted like it was such a chore and beneath him.  I lost all respect for him that day and I was glad when he was gone.
Oh man, that is truly a jerk move. I don't understand how a player can do that. As a parent, that had to burn witnessing someone do that to your child. 

Didn't Hovan paint a room in his house packer colors though to purposefully annoy himself during the offseason or was that a myth? Not gonna lie that kinda made me like the guy even though it's pretty bonkers. Stiffing a kid on an autograph isn't cool though

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
Didn't Hovan paint a room in his house packer colors though to purposefully annoy himself during the offseason or was that a myth? Not gonna lie that kinda made me like the guy even though it's pretty bonkers. Stiffing a kid on an autograph isn't cool though
He seemed like he was trying to talk himself into being the next John Randle.  He had the talking part done.

He idolized Randle and did learn a lot from him.  He had a couple good seasons.

Two things:
1. Some people NEVER retire a jersey. Either for financial reasons or superstition.
2. Not saying the clueless people were doing this, but one of my buddies and I used to go to training camp together and when we were in the stands, we would talk just loud enough for people to hear us, and intentionally say stupid things like "Did the Vikings re-sign Torii Hunter, or did he go to the Kings?" or "I really hope we can trade for ______" and it was usually someone ridiculous like Tom Brady.  Also, we'd pretend to not know most of the people on the roster EXCEPT the UDFAs. Sounds stupid now, but it was funny at the time.

There's a fine line between crusty old jersey and one with some "patina" to it...I used to sneer at all the new jerseys from the band-wagoneers in the 2000's. My old #88 had that nice faded look to it. Kinda like me. 

My only Mankato memory is the one time I went there, like 35 years ago, Tommy Kramer came out of the dorms in his uni with his eye black on and the nastiest looking hangover scowl you ever saw.   I will never forget that image, it's burned in my brain, lol.

Quote: @"Viking Bob" said:
He idolized Randle and did learn a lot from him.  He had a couple good seasons.
Ha ha...I'm now reminded Hovan was a Boston College Alumni