Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Williams In Play At 18?
Quote: @kahsmick said:
I actually think O'Neill is the best LT to come out in the last 2 years.  I was thrilled with the pick and remain so.
I also have little doubt Jonah Williams will be a successful NFL player.  But, he's not a freak like Isaiah Wynn.
I think he's a red chip player at worst, and I would prefer Cody Ford at #18 because he's massive and athletic and has a high floor.  Should he go later?  I don't think guys with that size and skillset last long at all.
I'm not sold on Greg Little, however.  I would prefer to see if I could strike lightning twice in The Second and take Trey Adams Wash OT.
Wait, is Trey Adams even in this draft? I can't find a definitive answer. He was given a red shirt for his injury, so he was eligible to return. In December, Roto reported that he was taking it, but he's also in a lot of mocks I see floating around. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/137167/trey-adams 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Yeah, but will we want him? These mid-January rankings are worthless IMO. This time last year Orlando Brown was a top 10 pick. He went in the 3rd. Arden Key was a first rounder. He went in the 3rd. 

It won't be until these so-called "experts" get a chance to talk to actual scouts and actual NFL personnel at the combine and Senior Bowl before these rankings and mock drafts will start to dial in a little bit. 
I think the early rankings are the most accurate.  They are right after the season.  Then, players go through the pre-draft crapola and some suddenly rise real high without even playing one more snap of actual football.  Go figure.
For example, Shariff Floyd was ranked around #30 by cbssports (Dane Brugler was doing it back then) and after the combine, etc. he rose to top 5 or 10.
When the Vikings drafted him at #23 it was probably the right spot for him all along.
Key had off field issues (like Randy Gregory) and Brown had weight issues that probably scared teams.
It could be that Williams goes after players like Little, Cajuste, and even Cody Ford.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@MaroonBells said:
Yeah, but will we want him? These mid-January rankings are worthless IMO. This time last year Orlando Brown was a top 10 pick. He went in the 3rd. Arden Key was a first rounder. He went in the 3rd. 

It won't be until these so-called "experts" get a chance to talk to actual scouts and actual NFL personnel at the combine and Senior Bowl before these rankings and mock drafts will start to dial in a little bit. 
I think the early rankings are the most accurate.  They are right after the season.  Then, players go through the pre-draft crapola and some suddenly rise real high without even playing one more snap of actual football.  Go figure.
It depends on what you mean by "accurate." If you mean accurate in terms of how they will eventually play in the NFL, then that's a whole different thing. It's a crapshoot. You have 7th rounders who will be all pros and 1st rounders who will be out of the NFL in 4 years. 

I'm just talking about where the players will be drafted for better or worse. And if you compare a consensus of the December and January rankings to how the ACTUAL first round goes down in April, you will be shocked at how different they are. 

I will say this. For every player who (wrongly) moves up or down during the pre-draft process, I would guess there are probably 3 or 4 players who move to where they should've been all along. 

Maroon

I don't know if Trey Adams has declared.  He moves well.  Great length, and would be a nice bookend with O'Neill.

It depends on how they feel about their tackles.  Maybe Storm Norton comes on miraculously at LT.  He looked good in preseason.  Maybe Aviante Collins puts it all together this year at LT.  Maybe Remmers has more quality snaps left at RT.  I thought Rashod Hill looked adequate.  He has a chance.

So, that leads me back to Cody Ford as a first choice.    And more ham for the interior OL in the next rounds, if possible.

Quote: @kahsmick said:
Maroon

I don't know if Trey Adams has declared.  He moves well.  Great length, and would be a nice bookend with O'Neill.

It depends on how they feel about their tackles.  Maybe Storm Norton comes on miraculously at LT.  He looked good in preseason.  Maybe Aviante Collins puts it all together this year at LT.  Maybe Remmers has more quality snaps left at RT.  I thought Rashod Hill looked adequate.  He has a chance.

So, that leads me back to Cody Ford as a first choice.    And more ham for the interior OL in the next rounds, if possible.
If Adams didn't get hurt and was in this draft, he'd probably be the first tackle chosen. He's a prototype. Pretty sure he decided to go back though.

I'm all for taking a tackle, as long as we get a guard or two from either free agency and/or the 1st three rounds of the draft. 

Seems to be a disagreement right now about Ford. Some have him as a mid-2nd rounder. Others have him in the top 10. I'm typically an optimist, but I tend to think that the latter is more accurate. Guys who are 6-4, 335 don't move like that.

we shoild prolly keep in mind Rashod Hill will get a decent offer from another team.  If it ends up being 4-5 per i would roll with Compton as the swing T

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline writes that Alabama OL Jonah Williams is expected to be "a great interview" at the NFL Scouting Combine.
While Pauline has been a vocal critic of Williams' upside as an NFL left tackle -- he believes that the 6-foot-5, 301-pound Alabama standout will have to slide inside to guard -- he is hearing plenty of good things when it comes to the offensive lineman's professional composure. The analyst passes along that "multiple people (in the industry) have complimented Williams’ game preparation, ability to absorb game planning and overall work ethic." Pauline has heard from multiple evaluators who view Williams as a second-round selection, but that's not a consensus view. Just to offer a few other angles, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. pegs Williams all the way up to No. 5 with the Buccaneers in his first mock draft of 2019, Bleacher Report's Matt Miller ranks him as the No. 9 prospect in the class and NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah ranks him as the No. 16 prospect for the spring. It should be noted that DJ views Williams' best pro fit to come at guard.
Source: Draft Analyst

I don't care what OL is there at #18, but they better pick one: OT or OG, don't care. Hell, pick a center and move Elflein to OG. 

Quote: @Bullazin said:
we shoild prolly keep in mind Rashod Hill will get a decent offer from another team.  If it ends up being 4-5 per i would roll with Compton as the swing T
can he play OT?  I have my doubts because he sure as hell cant play OG worth a damn.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Does a massive G fit with what we want? There was a massive G available last year and we passed on him...
Who knows what Stefanski’s preference is.  Then you thrown in Zimmer’s comment about wanting
to be more physical on the OLine.  Then
you throw Kubiak into the mix.

I would guess that we’re going to value guys who can move
more than guys who are massive, but I think we would highly value big physical
guys who can also move.  I think we would
definitely draft Hernandez this year if we had a chance to redo it.  He’s big and mobile.
I think we overestimated how bad the need was for OLine, and overestimated the availability of guards where we picked, but this season I think there's going to be a much more heightened focus on drafting OLine.