Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Williams In Play At 18?
Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline writes that he has spoken with "at least a dozen" sources in the evaluating community who do not view Alabama T Jonah Williams as a top-10 pick.
Pauline, himself, has voiced consistent skepticism over Williams' worth as a potential top-10 selection and wanted to canvass about to see if he was on an island. At least from those he spoke with, that would not appear to be the case. Explained the analyst, "The earliest grade I’ve received on him is the mid-first round, while some project him as a second-round selection." Pauline also passes along that the consensus view among those he has spoken with is that Williams' best fit at the NFL level will come at guard, rather than tackle, writing that the 6-foot-5, 301-pounder is "superb fundamentally but lacks the athleticism, agility and footwork to stay at left tackle on Sundays." These notes -- especially when it comes to Williams' future position -- will be worth keeping in mind as the predraft process deepens.
Source: Draft Analyst

I find this analysis a little suspect when so many draft experts are saying he is one of the best Left Tackle prospects to come out in years and contradicts a lot of what Pauline is saying by praising his athleticism and quick feet. If one of the best left tackles in the draft isn't good enough to stay at left tackle at the next level, what does it say about this draft class for OLineman? I don't buy it. The same stuff is being said about Greg Little. For Tackle starved teams, I don't see either one of them sliding down to the Vikings. I think the demand for quality OLineman will drive up their rankings and value. Even Risner is getting mentioned in the top 15 now which I think is way too high for his talent level compared to the defensive prospects available in Round 1. Same thing happened last year and that was a much deeper draft for OLine talent. 

I kind of have flashbacks of last year's draft where all these offensive linemen would be available at the 30th pick for the Vikings according to the draft experts.  Lo and behold, those linemen peeled off the board faster than you could blink an eye.  Hopefully with the 18th pick, Speilman and Zimmer are better prepared this time around.

Yeah, but will we want him? These mid-January rankings are worthless IMO. This time last year Orlando Brown was a top 10 pick. He went in the 3rd. Arden Key was a first rounder. He went in the 3rd. 

It won't be until these so-called "experts" get a chance to talk to actual scouts and actual NFL personnel at the combine and Senior Bowl before these rankings and mock drafts will start to dial in a little bit. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Yeah, but will we want him? These mid-January rankings are worthless IMO. This time last year Orlando Brown was a top 10 pick. He went in the 3rd. Arden Key was a first rounder. He went in the 3rd. 

It won't be until these so-called "experts" get a chance to talk to actual scouts and actual NFL personnel at the combine and Senior Bowl before these rankings and mock drafts will start to dial in a little bit. 

Very true and I totally agree.  I just don't want to see another repeat like last year.

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@MaroonBells said:

Very true and I totally agree.  I just don't want to see another repeat like last year.
???

I'm no draftnik, but Hughes and O'Neil weren't exactly whiffing at the plate. Neither was H. Hill. Conklin was decent enough, Carlson sucked balls here...

If they could have kept Gosset too?

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@ArizonaViking said:
@MaroonBells said:

???

I'm not drafting, but Hughes and O'Neil weren't exactly whiffing at the plate. Neither was H. Hill. Conklin was decent enough, Carlson sucked balls here...

If they could have kept Gosset too?

I guess I was wanting a couple of offensive linemen last year capable of becoming starters. 

I don't totally buy this, but there is some truth to it. After I watched some of Jonah Williams I was surprised he was this "sure-fire" top 10 pick. How he test will play a factor since some scouts are going to be concerned he'll get burned by off the ball edge rushers. He's highly technical but you can't teach foot speed. You can try but can't. That doesn't mean he wouldn't be a 10 year starter at guard or an average LT. But you don't take average in the top 10. 

So while I think some teams may put a late 1st/2nd round grade on him there will be others who view him in the top 1/2 of the 1st. There isn't a surefire LT in this class which makes it tougher to place him as well. 

I actually think O'Neill is the best LT to come out in the last 2 years.  I was thrilled with the pick and remain so.
I also have little doubt Jonah Williams will be a successful NFL player.  But, he's not a freak like Isaiah Wynn.
I think he's a red chip player at worst, and I would prefer Cody Ford at #18 because he's massive and athletic and has a high floor.  Should he go later?  I don't think guys with that size and skillset last long at all.
I'm not sold on Greg Little, however.  I would prefer to see if I could strike lightning twice in The Second and take Trey Adams Wash OT.

Does a massive G fit with what we want? There was a massive G available last year and we passed on him...