Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Said Goodbye to DirecTV
So question for those who are out of market and can't watch the Viking games. Asides from the Kodi stick, what are other options to watch the games? I'm able to get the NFL Ticket by using my gf's address, but I'll be stuck working Sundays this year so I want to see if there are other alternatives that might let me watch the games during the week.

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
So question for those who are out of market and can't watch the Viking games. Asides from the Kodi stick, what are other options to watch the games? I'm able to get the NFL Ticket by using my gf's address, but I'll be stuck working Sundays this year so I want to see if there are other alternatives that might let me watch the games during the week.
If you know someone in Minnesota ask them if you can put a slingbox at their   house 

Movikx had a great thread about this topic a few weeks ago and even PM'd me some info on alternatives to DirecTV (ala getting Vikings/NFL games). 

I called a couple times and they reduced my bill for Sunday Ticket by $60. It's now $240. When I signed up last year, I agreed to a 2 year price lock guarantee of roughly $80 a month. Somehow, I recently got my bill and it was $130. I called and they said that the NFL Sunday Ticket promotion being free is only for new customers.

"But what about the price lock guarantee?"
"That's only for your regular channels."
"The ones I don't watch?"
"... yeah."

I'm quickly reminded that you're not a customer to these companies. You're a number and you're shot through some customer service person's flow chart. And now the onus is on me to find a way to get out of my 2 year price lock guarantee. I'm still on the hook for another year I was told for cancellation fees, etc. Fuckers.

I'm at the point where I'm wanting to drop the Dish as well.  I just don't want to miss out on watching my sports.  Going to bar to watch a game isn't exactly saving me money as I'll blow $20-40 minimum on food and drinks.  Plus, watching the game from the couch is far more relaxing.  I've got NFL Game Pass, so I can always go back and watch games.  But to participate in a chat I'd be restricted to radio broadcasts only.  Not ideal, but works when I have no choice but to be out and about.  I'm watching where this conversation goes!

So we live to far from a national market to get locals....and we still can't get past just turning on "normal tv".  I found and signed up for the "welcome package" several years ago through Dish.  It gets us locals and history, comedy central, hgtv etc.  I had to buy the equipment.  $20/mo and $2 taxes.  No HD no DVR.  No frills but I keep paying and they keep taking my money.

But we have netfilx and prime.  We don't use prime at all.  I've been going to reddit nflstreams to watch the Vikings but might pick up one of these kodi sticks and see if it can pull them in?

So what are the Kodi sticks?  I see they are a streaming stick, but living out of Viking area, can it be setup to get MN stations?

For those like me who are out of town you can always sign up for NFL game pass. It's $99 for the season so not too bad. 

For a free option if you Google "NFL streaming reddit" there's always threads during the season that will have many links to the games that you can watch. 

IMO game pass at $99 is a rip off.  I used to do the rewind, and could select 1 team only for $30. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
IMO game pass at $99 is a rip off.  I used to do the rewind, and could select 1 team only for $30. 
Yeah, I wish there was an option for just one team as I don't watch anyone else, but it's still cheaper than directv. 

It really sucks, the days of negotiating with Directv are a thing of the past.  AT&T doesn't give a rats ass about customer loyalty or anything like that.  I've been reading thru this thread and thinking about options.  I've grown so used to Sunday Ticket and the Red Zone that I'm hesitant to change but I'm getting really fed up with the currents costs which just keep going up.