Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Select a QB in the upcoming Draft
Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
Ha! Strategically, you are probably right. But never going to happen because Spielman convinced the Wilfs to invest $84M in Cousins. Why would he do anything to suggest that it wasn't a fantastic decision that will result in a Lombardi Trophy or two and no more worries about that pesky QB position?
I don't see Minnesota taking a QB in the first two rounds for sure. Drafting a 3rd rounder or later doesn't really suggest competition for Cousins. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
Ha! Strategically, you are probably right. But never going to happen because Spielman convinced the Wilfs to invest $84M in Cousins. Why would he do anything to suggest that it wasn't a fantastic decision that will result in a Lombardi Trophy or two and no more worries about that pesky QB position?
That's why it should be a 4th rounder. A player who will never be confused as competition for Cousins, but someone who can compete with Sloter as our #2. 
I dont think we need to go a first rounder,  but if we are taking a player.... lets take a player,  sure some QBs can be found in the later rounds,  but if we are talking about a guy that could be ready to take over for KC in 2 years if his contract demands are rediculous.. well then lets take a QB,  spending a mid round draft pick with the goal of not being good enought to challenge for the starting job seems wrong to me.  if the right guy is there in the 2nd or 3rd.. well nab him up and make capn kirk beat him.  of course I think we have more pressing needs than a back up QB,  I think Sloter should be the #2 already based on what we have seen,  but if he isnt... then they better be ready to get a guy that will be that and more with time.

Justin Herbert from Oregon is an interesting prospect, if he declares.  Big, big arm and good size.  Raw.   Needs to sit a few years, not nearly as polished as Mariota was coming out.  But that also means due to his mediocre season he's not going Top 5 in the draft, so that works in our favor.

Quote: @"SFVikeFan" said:
Justin Herbert from Oregon is an interesting prospect, if he declares.  Big, big arm and good size.  Raw.   Needs to sit a few years, not nearly as polished as Mariota was coming out.  But that also means due to his mediocre season he's not going Top 5 in the draft, so that works in our favor.
One thing I like about Cousins is that he never seems to get hurt (knock wood). Some QBs are like that. They just know how to fall or something. Favre was that kind of QB. Herbert is the other kind.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
That's why it should be a 4th rounder. A player who will never be confused as competition for Cousins, but someone who can compete with Sloter as our #2. 
I dont think we need to go a first rounder,  but if we are taking a player.... lets take a player,  sure some QBs can be found in the later rounds,  but if we are talking about a guy that could be ready to take over for KC in 2 years if his contract demands are rediculous.. well then lets take a QB,  spending a mid round draft pick with the goal of not being good enought to challenge for the starting job seems wrong to me.  if the right guy is there in the 2nd or 3rd.. well nab him up and make capn kirk beat him.  of course I think we have more pressing needs than a back up QB,  I think Sloter should be the #2 already based on what we have seen,  but if he isnt... then they better be ready to get a guy that will be that and more with time.
In my opinion, there are two kinds of QBs in the draft. Those who are top 10 picks (potential franchise QBs), and everyone else. So little difference between QBs taken outside of the top 10 and those you can get late, or even after the draft. 

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
In my opinion, there are two kinds of QBs in the draft. Those who are top 10 picks (potential franchise QBs), and everyone else. So little difference between QBs taken outside of the top 10 and those you can get late, or even after the draft. 
I think you need to add a few more categories.

IMO there are those that come in pretty much ready to play,  they could benefit from a little seasoning on the bench but they can play right away.
there are those that have to have some prep work but will eventually put it together and have nice careers...maybe even great careers... hell look at brady.
there are those that even with seasoning their ceiling is journeyman clip board holder, game manager at best
and those that are brought in simply to take some snaps/reps in camp.  never a real shot at developing or making a practice squad let alone a roster.

oh yeah.... and theres the Joe Webb experiments.. not sure where to rank those guys.

@"SFVikeFan" said:
One thing I like about Cousins is that he never seems to get hurt (knock wood). Some QBs are like that. They just know how to fall or something. Favre was that kind of QB. Herbert is the other kind.
Herbert does have issues, staying healthy is just one of them, which is why I could see him sliding out of the Top 10.   But in terms of tools and skillset, he's on the short list of 3-4 QB's with Round 1 talent.  I honestly think he's going to return to Oregon and play his senior year, his confidence is lacking.  He's painfully shy, awkward in interviews ... just a local Eugene kid who somehow ended up being a starter for a national program in his hometown.

Here's a darkhorse for a 4th-5th round QB pick that has some low level buzz with scouts, but not nationally: 

Jacob Dolegala, QB, Central Connecticut  
Height: 6-6. Weight: 235.  
Projected 40 Time: 4.80. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
I think you need to add a few more categories.

IMO there are those that come in pretty much ready to play,  they could benefit from a little seasoning on the bench but they can play right away.
there are those that have to have some prep work but will eventually put it together and have nice careers...maybe even great careers... hell look at brady.
there are those that even with seasoning their ceiling is journeyman clip board holder, game manager at best
and those that are brought in simply to take some snaps/reps in camp.  never a real shot at developing or making a practice squad let alone a roster.

oh yeah.... and theres the Joe Webb experiments.. not sure where to rank those guys.
I think there are other categories for other positions, but not so much QBs. You have the franchise guys, taken at the top because they're recognized as such (even though only about half turn out). And everyone else. And there's such little difference between guys taken late in round 1 and guys taken on day three. I think if you look at draft history (http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb) the hit rate on QBs outside of the top 10 is pretty low. And it doesn't improve a lot as you get higher in the draft.

If you look at every starting QB in the NFL, they were either taken high as a franchise guy, or someone got lucky. Brady (6th), Cousins (4th), Keenun (UDFA), Prescott (4th), Russel (3rd). Of the top of my head, I can think of no day-two "developmental" guy who ever turned out. Of course every year is different, and there are exceptions, but not enough for the Vikings to justify taking one high when they have big OL needs and an $84M QB who might actually prove his worth with a few of those OLs. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Here's a darkhorse for a 4th-5th round QB pick that has some low level buzz with scouts, but not nationally: 

Jacob Dolegala, QB, Central Connecticut  
Height: 6-6. Weight: 235.  
Projected 40 Time: 4.80. 

Well since we're going on record, I like Will Grier.