Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little bit of negativity...
3rd overall D, 11th in points allowed, top 5 vs the run, only 1 team has given up less explosive runs...now, if anyone wants to complain about the pass D, particularly regarding explosive plays, that's an easy case to make...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
3rd overall D, 11th in points allowed, top 5 vs the run, only 1 team has given up less explosive runs...now, if anyone wants to complain about the pass D, particularly regarding explosive plays, that's an easy case to make...
If I run up the gut for 4+ yards on 1st down and nail a chunk play to an RB or TE on 2nd down off of Play Action or misdirection are you still great against the run? Or am I successfully using it to set everything else up and don't need to rush for 100 yards a game to get my points?

Same scenario, different question: if I convert on 1st and 2nd down a bunch is you being great on 3rd downs as relevant?

That's just a few examples of how stats can mislead.

I trust my eyes. And they're telling me that teams are having enough success running up the middle on 1st down to open up their entire playbook. And on Offense Minnesota is having the exact opposite problem.

I'm also not sold on the overall Defensive ranking. They've faced exactly 2 teams with winning records and 1 of them completely dominated Zimmer's  D. Jets, Cards, Lions, Eagles, and even the Packers. Not exactly a Murderers Row of Offenses.

I'm not trying to call anyone out. Just me and my eyes telling me something different  than what the stats say.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
If I run up the gut for 4+ yards on 1st down and nail a chunk play to an RB or TE on 2nd down off of Play Action or misdirection are you still great against the run? Or am I successfully using it to set everything else up and don't need to rush for 100 yards a game to get my points?

Same scenario, different question: if I convert on 1st and 2nd down a bunch is you being great on 3rd downs as relevant?

I trust my eyes. And they're telling me that teams are having enough success running up the middle on 1st down to open up their entire playbook. And on Offense Minnesota is having the exact opposite problem.

I'm also not sold on the overall Defensive ranking. They've faced exactly 2 teams with winning records and 1 of them completely dominated Zimmer's  D. Jets, Cards, Lions, Eagles, and even the Packers. Not exactly a Murderers Row of Offenses.

I'm not trying to call anyone out. Just me and my eyes telling me something different  than what the stats say.
I think I'm with you on this (although I will freely admit I might be wrong): my eyes tell me that we are not a great defense.  We're not terrible... but it doesn't seem like we are living up to our reputation.  Anyone know how many yards we actually give up on first down?

@"BarrNone55" said:

Pretty much how I have seen it.

I like numbers, they aren't subjective.

no,   but their presentation can be.  stats are numbers and depending on how those stats are compiled and presented can really paint wildly different pictures.

like in our loses, our O was often leaving our D on the field for to much of the first halves of the games,  our offense not getting going early in the game is very wearing on a defense and will make them more prone to explosive plays as they get tired and feel the weight of the game bearing down on them.

Some stats can be tortured for sure to reach different conclusions, depending on the personal agenda. I see it all the time by the sports media as they can paint any picture they want to fit their articles.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Some stats can be tortured for sure to reach different conclusions, depending on the personal agenda. I see it all the time by the sports media as they can paint any picture they want to fit their articles.
True, but the only stat that counts is our Win/Loss record and at the moment we are 6-4-1 which puts us slightly above a .500 team. BarrNone is right, numbers aren't subjective when it comes to your record and this team is exactly what we see on paper. All the other numbers are meaningless if they don't translate into W's. None of us will care what the numbers look like if we can somehow come away with victories this Sunday in Foxboro and the following game in Seattle. 

Yea I have always said, numbers don't lie, but they can sure be manipulated.  I was an accounting/finance major fwiw

@"BarrNone55" said:

How about we also consider what the current climate of the NFL is?  We are 3rd overall D.  Not giving up explosive runs.  So maybe our numbers don't match up with last years, but we are 3rd overall D.  That means everyone else is worse as well.  Yeah, not lock down D like last year.  But who is? 

Since our D got lit up by the Rams, we have been very good.  Shut down Brees. Murders row?  I think they are prime suspects.  Packers, Lions, Eagles?  All very potent offenses.  They are having struggles, but still have good QBs and plenty of weapons.  At least in the aggravated assault with a deadly weapon category.