Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little bit of negativity...
Ok.. I love Defense. Love our players.. But for all of the accolades L Joseph gets for being so strong, I see him 3 or 4 yards back on running plays WAY too often. Along with Richardson. 
Maybe I still have illusions of grandeur about the spirit of the Williams Wall who seemingly couldn't be budged, but for all the hype and strength.. I just feel like we should almost NEVER give up the kind of runs we do up the middle.. especially as often as we do. I saw the breakdown of how GB was double teaming them.. but Big Pat used to face that all the time and stood his ground... So I just get frustrated seeing Joseph get moved when people talk about how strong he is. 
Someone straighten me out please. 

Oracle mentions that in his misc thoughts as well.  I was noticing the same this year.  I wonder if LJ is bothered by his leg injury to some extent.

Quote: @greediron said:
Oracle mentions that in his misc thoughts as well.  I was noticing the same this year.  I wonder if LJ is bothered by his leg injury to some extent.
I kinda hope so.. I can excuse that.. But there are a LOT of good DL players that can plug up a double team.. He should be towards the top of the list for that. Just my opinion I guess. but I hope he gets it figured out. I know he's better than that. 

He's getting doubled all the time. Richardson should be doing a better job stuffing the run when he's singled up. Kendricks should be doing a better job when both DTs get doubled like the Packers did a lot.

For all the talk here and from Zimmer about how important a pass rushing 3T is nobody ever seems to mention how opponents getting 4 yards on 1st Down rushes up the gut really opens up an OCs' playbook on 2nd down.

Someone will likely point out the Defense's lofty rush yards against numbers but that stat is in a vacuum. You don't need to rush for 100 yards if you're  getting yardage on 1st down to make misdirection and play action effective.

Meanwhile, Minnesota can't run up the gut enough to let JDF open things all the way up.

Personally, I'd like to see Jaleel and Jalyn get some more snaps once the playoff push dies so we can see what they might be able to contribute down the road.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
He's getting doubled all the time. Richardson should be doing a better job stuffing the run when he's singled up. Kendricks should be doing a better job when both DTs get doubled like the Packers did a lot.

For all the talk here and from Zimmer about how important a pass rushing 3T is nobody ever seems to mention how opponents getting 4 yards on 1st Down rushes up the gut really opens up an OCs' playbook on 2nd down.

Someone will likely point out the Defense's lofty rush yards against numbers but that stat is in a vacuum. You don't need to rush for 100 yards if you're  getting yardage on 1st down to make misdirection and play action effective.

Meanwhile, Minnesota can't run up the gut enough to let JDF open things all the way up.

Personally, I'd like to see Jaleel and Jalyn get some more snaps once the playoff push dies so we can see what they might be able to contribute down the road.
It does seem we give up easy yardage, but the number just don't seem to bear it out.  If we were consistently bad, our 3rd down numbers would likely be much worse.

Thankfully the draft is loaded with defensive tackles this year.
Looking at Joseph's age and salary and it may be prudent to start considering his replacement.
I give you ...
Dexter Lawrence DT Clemson  6'3" 350
[Image: 0ap3000000938128.jpg]

I agree about our D-Line's (and our LBs) inability to stop the run.  I don't know if it's a conscious decision, or a scheme thing... but we suck vs. the run (on first down, anyway).  I remember watching one of the replays where they should the Packer OL doubling both of our DTs.  And they singled up vs. our DE.  Where were our LBs?  That's a LB dream!  Yet the Packer still got a big chunk of running yardage.  I don't know what the issue is (but I, too, have seen our DTs getting pushed back), but I hope we get it fixed.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
Looking at Joseph's age and salary and it may be prudent to start considering his replacement.
I give you ...

Is Dexter Lawrence going to be there in round 4? My sense is we'll need to trade up into the top 10 to touch him.
Replacement for Joseph? Just 15 months ago, this team signed him to a 4-year extension, and he's only 29. We've got 2 young DTs on the roster supposedly very talented and only in need of good defensive coaching, which we also supposedly have in abundance.
Let's all quit suggesting defensive players for Zimmer to lust after. Even after they draft a couple of OL, this offense needs a dangerous #3 WR, another TE, and a RB (depth if Cook recaptures his early form, more if he doesn't).
This team better be ready to roll with the impressive defensive talent they have collected - does anyone doubt the Cousins contract is a deadline for winning a Super Bowl?

Quote: @pumpf said:
I agree about our D-Line's (and our LBs) inability to stop the run.  I don't know if it's a conscious decision, or a scheme thing... but we suck vs. the run (on first down, anyway).  I remember watching one of the replays where they should the Packer OL doubling both of our DTs.  And they singled up vs. our DE.  Where were our LBs?  That's a LB dream!  Yet the Packer still got a big chunk of running yardage.  I don't know what the issue is (but I, too, have seen our DTs getting pushed back), but I hope we get it fixed.
I wonder if it is scheme as well.  It seems frustrating watching the game, but at the end, the stats favor our defense.  Perhaps we are more intent on stopping the passing game with the LBs and have to sacrifice the run D to do it?  If we were as bad as it seems at times, teams would just keep running and have much better success against our D.  But instead, our D is lights out on 3rd down again and really limiting some very good QBs.
I have seen it mentioned a few times about the D keeping it simple on 1st and 2nd and then getting exotic on 3rd.  Is the plan to limit the gains and get teams into 3rd downs where the D can shine?  This would limit the amount of looks on tape as we aren't showing much on 1st and 2nd, and leading to a distinct advantage on 3rd.
Dunno, but whatever it is, it seems to be working for the D.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@MarkSP18 said:
I give you ...

Is Dexter Lawrence going to be there in round 4? My sense is we'll need to trade up into the top 10 to touch him.
Replacement for Joseph? Just 15 months ago, this team signed him to a 4-year extension, and he's only 29. We've got 2 young DTs on the roster supposedly very talented and only in need of good defensive coaching, which we also supposedly have in abundance.
Let's all quit suggesting defensive players for Zimmer to lust after. Even after they draft a couple of OL, this offense needs a dangerous #3 WR, another TE, and a RB (depth if Cook recaptures his early form, more if he doesn't).
This team better be ready to roll with the impressive defensive talent they have collected - does anyone doubt the Cousins contract is a deadline for winning a Super Bowl?
He might go in the top 10.  Might not.  Don't know what the round 4 is about but OK.
The strength of this next draft looks to be at the defensive tackle position with some edge rushers sprinkled in too.
I would not chase after a WR or RB in this draft.  Noah Fant looks really good at TE though.
Joseph turned 30 on October 10th. 

The idea of getting some quality depth behind him is looking past 2019.
In 2020, they may approach Joseph who will turn 32 in that season about a restructure.
Got to look at the cap when drafting too.