Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GQ Ariticle: Kirk Cousins might never get it
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"Ralphie" said:
F*** GQ.  But as an organization, not since Denny's teams have I seen a killer, go-for-it attitude.  Certainly not this year.
When it mattered a lot? 

The Sheriff took a knee...
 CC and Moss made Denny much more than anything Denny did in terms of play calling and game planning IMO.
Not to mention Steussie/McDaniel/Big K/Christy/Dixon
Other than McDaniel and Carter, didn't Denny bring in everyone else mentioned? 

And for the record, I've never understood the whole Da-knee thing. Fans must have forgotten what happened right before halftime in that same game. Think that Falcons TD due to a Vikings turnover in their own territory had an impact on the outcome of the game? I was glad they did it. The team was shellshocked and Cunningham was playing like shit. I have NO doubt whatsoever that had they gone into a 2 minute drill, a pick 6 or fumble return for a TD would have been the result. It was their destiny

Quote:  As@"purplefaithful" said:
@"Ralphie" said:
F*** GQ.  But as an organization, not since Denny's teams have I seen a killer, go-for-it attitude.  Certainly not this year.
When it mattered a lot? 

To this day I call him DaKnee 

Yeah I understand the hate. I really hated being in the playoffs every year too. Guess what you can't win it all if you can even get in either. Denny is better you guys are giving credit. He had more playoff appearances (8) in his 11 seasons then (6) in the last 16. Wow let it go.

Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
 As@"purplefaithful" said:
@"Ralphie" said:
When it mattered a lot? 

And to this day, you're wrong. 

If they had run out the clock/taken "Da-knee" at the end of the 2nd quarter, different game. But they DID NOT, and the subsequent turnover gave Atlanta a cheap 7 points right before halftime. 

The team was totally bewildered after "guaranteed" Anderson shanked it, followed by the Falcons march to tie, highlighted by Griffin's CHOKE/DROP of a GAME ENDING, NFC CHAMPIONSHIP CLINCHING interception. 

The team was OBVIOUSLY shaken. There was no way they would have performed at mid-season form at THAT point in the game. A turnover was almost pre-determined at that point. 

I disagreed with many of Green's decisions. That was not one of them, given the circumstances and location. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"Ralphie" said:
When it mattered a lot? 

CC and Moss made Denny much more than anything Denny did in terms of play calling and game planning IMO.
What's pretty amazing is in eight playoff appearances, Green had six different QBs leading the team into the playoffs, they were Rich Gannon, Jim McMahan, Warren Moon, Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham (NFC Championship), and Daunte Culpepper (NFC Championship).
His record coming off of a bye week was also impressive as his record was 7-2.  1996 was his team's first loss when they narrowly lost to the Chicago Bears 15-13, and would not lose again until Green's last year in 2001.
CC had been in the league four years prior to Green's tenure.  As a Viking in 1990, he had 413 yards & 3TDs; 1991: 962 yards & 5TDs; and 1992 (Green's first year): 681 & 6TDs.

Quote: @"njvike" said:
@"1VikesFan" said:
@"Ralphie" said:
When it mattered a lot? 

If they had run out the clock/taken "Da-knee" at the end of the 2nd quarter, different game. But they DID NOT, and the subsequent turnover gave Atlanta a cheap 7 points right before halftime. 

The team was totally bewildered after "guaranteed" Anderson shanked it, followed by the Falcons march to tie, highlighted by Griffin's CHOKE/DROP of a GAME ENDING, NFC CHAMPIONSHIP CLINCHING interception. 

The team was OBVIOUSLY shaken. There was no way they would have performed at mid-season form at THAT point in the game. A turnover was almost pre-determined at that point. 

I disagreed with many of Green's decisions. That was not one of them, given the circumstances and location. 
That's what great about this place we can agree to disagree...respectfully.  I will always feel like he threw in the towel.

Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
@"njvike" said:
@"1VikesFan" said:
@"Ralphie" said:
When it mattered a lot? 

That's what great about this place we can agree to disagree...respectfully.  I will always feel like he threw in the towel.
I can understand that opinion, given the Vikings' record setting season,  but at that particular point in the game, after the halftime fuck up and the late 4th quarter choke job, discretion was the better part of valor.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
GQ, what they don’t like the way he dresses...?  B) 
How can anybody like the way the Vikings dress? Who wears brown shoes and brown shoes with no socks? The Vikings play the way they dress. Shitty!  I still say the Vikings need a dressing coach, swee'pea.

Fashions fade, but style is eternal.

It is an interesting dynamic when the QB is getting paid a ton of money.  The expectations seem to grow a ton as well.
Are they realistic though?  I would say they are but there is more to it than just turnovers.
Here is an article that sums up pretty good what Cousins has faced this season ...
http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/27711/vikings-struggling-to-generate-room-in-run-game-protect-cousins
Entering the 12th week of the season, the Vikings have
reached a critical juncture as it pertains to the strength of their
offensive line. It’s an issue the team can no longer hide from. The
Vikings' decision to not prioritize the line in free agency and the
draft is one major area leading to deficiencies across the board, from
what Cousins is being asked to do in the constant face of pressure to
the team’s inability to generate an explosive ground game
The
Vikings have been held under 25 rushing yards twice this season – which
led to losses against the Bills and the Bears. According to ESPN Stats
and Information, that’s only happened once in the previous 21 seasons
combined.

Vikings rushers have been first contacted at or behind the of scrimmage
on 43.6 percent of their rushes this season, which is the highest rate
in the NFL. Against the Bears they were first hit at or behind the line
of scrimmage on seven of their 14 rushes. They averaged a season-low
0.64 yards per rush before contact in that game.

Moreover, Cousins ranks towards the top of all QBs on the amount of
times he has had to throw under duress. Against Chicago, the Vikings
O-line allowed 17 pressures, which was the most of any team in Week 11,
according to Pro Football Focus.

So to sum it up, the Vikings offensive line is not only NOT pass blocking, they are also NOT run blocking.  One of the strengths of Cousins before he signed here was his passing on play action passes.  It is highly doubtful that defenses are worried about play action fakes with this atrocious running game.
Cousins does have turnovers for sure.  But when you compare him to some other QBs it really is not too out of the ordinary.
Cousins has 19 TDs and 7 INTs.  He has 6 fumbles (I don't count the backward passes that are credited to him aas fumbles) and all 6 have been lost which is bad luck really.
Brady has 17 TDs and 7 INTs.  He has 4 fumbles and 2 have been lost.
Roethlisberger has 23 TDs and 10 INTs.  He has 6 fumbles and 2 have been lost.
I think the biggest problem is that they have not been fortunate to recover his fumbles which almost every time is due to a large defender hitting him from behind.  Kind of hard to hang onto the ball in those situations as Mahomes proved Monday night.
When Cousins fumbled after getting hit from behind by Jerry Hughes of the Bills, not many folks said anything about the terrible job Reiff (who has an 11 mil plus cap hit this year) did on that play.
It just comes back to Cousins.
All things considered, Cousins has done a pretty dang good job.  The offense is still getting on the same page as everyone is new to this offense.  They have 10 games now playing in JDF's offense.  A lot of his picks are anticipatory throws.  That is how this offense works.  He has to throw the ball BEFORE the receiver makes their cut and if they are not on the same page then it will be ugly.
I suppose it would be better if Cousins just took sacks instead of throwing it to a spot where he expects the receiver to be.
If the gosh dang kicker could make just one field goal they would be 6-4 now.
In the end, until this offensive line plays better then it is going to be tough sledding as defenses are sitting on Diggs and Thielen and forcing somebody else to beat them.  The Vikings do not have that somebody else.

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
It is an interesting dynamic when the QB is getting paid a ton of money.  The expectations seem to grow a ton as well.
Are they realistic though?  I would say they are but there is more to it than just turnovers.
Here is an article that sums up pretty good what Cousins has faced this season ...
http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikin...ct-cousins
Entering the 12th week of the season, the Vikings have
reached a critical juncture as it pertains to the strength of their
offensive line. It’s an issue the team can no longer hide from. The
Vikings' decision to not prioritize the line in free agency and the
draft is one major area leading to deficiencies across the board, from
what Cousins is being asked to do in the constant face of pressure to
the team’s inability to generate an explosive ground game
The
Vikings have been held under 25 rushing yards twice this season – which
led to losses against the Bills and the Bears. According to ESPN Stats
and Information, that’s only happened once in the previous 21 seasons
combined.

Vikings rushers have been first contacted at or behind the of scrimmage
on 43.6 percent of their rushes this season, which is the highest rate
in the NFL. Against the Bears they were first hit at or behind the line
of scrimmage on seven of their 14 rushes. They averaged a season-low
0.64 yards per rush before contact in that game.

Moreover, Cousins ranks towards the top of all QBs on the amount of
times he has had to throw under duress. Against Chicago, the Vikings
O-line allowed 17 pressures, which was the most of any team in Week 11,
according to Pro Football Focus.

So to sum it up, the Vikings offensive line is not only NOT pass blocking, they are also NOT run blocking.  One of the strengths of Cousins before he signed here was his passing on play action passes.  It is highly doubtful that defenses are worried about play action fakes with this atrocious running game.
Cousins does have turnovers for sure.  But when you compare him to some other QBs it really is not too out of the ordinary.
Cousins has 19 TDs and 7 INTs.  He has 6 fumbles (I don't count the backward passes that are credited to him aas fumbles) and all 6 have been lost which is bad luck really.
Brady has 17 TDs and 7 INTs.  He has 4 fumbles and 2 have been lost.
Roethlisberger has 23 TDs and 10 INTs.  He has 6 fumbles and 2 have been lost.
I think the biggest problem is that they have not been fortunate to recover his fumbles which almost every time is due to a large defender hitting him from behind.  Kind of hard to hang onto the ball in those situations as Mahomes proved Monday night.
When Cousins fumbled after getting hit from behind by Jerry Hughes of the Bills, not many folks said anything about the terrible job Reiff (who has an 11 mil plus cap hit this year) did on that play.
It just comes back to Cousins.
All things considered, Cousins has done a pretty dang good job.  The offense is still getting on the same page as everyone is new to this offense.  They have 10 games now playing in JDF's offense.  A lot of his picks are anticipatory throws.  That is how this offense works.  He has to throw the ball BEFORE the receiver makes their cut and if they are not on the same page then it will be ugly.
I suppose it would be better if Cousins just took sacks instead of throwing it to a spot where he expects the receiver to be.
If the gosh dang kicker could make just one field goal they would be 6-4 now.
In the end, until this offensive line plays better then it is going to be tough sledding as defenses are sitting on Diggs and Thielen and forcing somebody else to beat them.  The Vikings do not have that somebody else.

Post of the year.  Winning in the NFL has always started with line play and our oline is awful.  Cousins is constantly under duress, I don't care care who the qb is, you can't win like that.  I watched Tennessee put that sort of pressure on Brady and beat New England like a drum.  I'm amazed we aren't a sub .500 team at this point...  probably because the D has found itself after some early season issues.