Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone just shake your head over Bailey's misses?
Did the NFL change the kicking ball recently? I’ve noticed the past couple of years the ball gets a weird tail off and it happens to nearly all of the kickers. Mason Crosby is a great kicker as is Bailey. Some of the best seemed to have struggled the past couple of years. I have to wonder if there’s an equipment issue.

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
again I ask,  how is Preifer/Zim not getting called into question on these kicking woes?  its not just the place kickers,  our punters is a shankapotumus as well.
Neither Zim or Preifer have had enough time to screw up a veteran kicker. Since Zim doesnt think kickers are football players Id say he probably doesnt say much one way or another. 
without knowing what he is trying to teach these guys I dont believe anything is out of the question in regards to what he might be doing to even a seasoned vet.  Bailey can rest comfortably with the job though... we dont have enough money left to order a pizza let alone try and sign another kicker.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
Lots of misses and ugly kicking around the NFL this season...  I mean, Mason Crosby missed 4 FGs and an XP yesterday....  the Browns kicker missed a bunch of kicks and was cut....  The replacement knuckle balled in the game winner today...  Chris Boswell has been missing kicks for the Steelers...  List goes on and on.

Just a weird year for kicking...  I'm hoping Bailey is just a little rusty having sat out for awhile.  He bounced back and made a couple kicks after the early misses.  I couldn't watch the 50+ yarder at the end...  Closed my eyes.  Lol
Great post
im sure Viking Nation all breathed a sigh of relief after that long one went thru...

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
Did the NFL change the kicking ball recently? I’ve noticed the past couple of years the ball gets a weird tail off and it happens to nearly all of the kickers. Mason Crosby is a great kicker as is Bailey. Some of the best seemed to have struggled the past couple of years. I have to wonder if there’s an equipment issue.
That on side kick ball sure had some juice on it ! Whew !

It is nerves.  Zimmer says Bailey has missed 1 kick in practice.  He has missed multiple kicks in games. It's nerves.  It's pressure. He has to get back to how he dealt with it before.

I think a lot of it goes back to the decision a few years ago to move the extra point back, a decision I was never a fan of.  I think making even the extra points a little challenging has really sapped kickers of the confidence they used to have.  They no longer have nearly as many gimme kicks and I think it might be harder for them to get into a rhythm.

That's one reason I was never a fan of the change.  Another is who wants to see a great game or an incredible comeback decided on a missed extra point?  Extra points used to be almost completely anti-climatic and I was 100% ok with that.

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
It is nerves.  Zimmer says Bailey has missed 1 kick in practice.  He has missed multiple kicks in games. It's nerves.  It's pressure. He has to get back to how he dealt with it before.

It can't be an easy situation for a kicker, a team that has had 2 young kickers lose their nerve and a head coach who considers kickers a PITA. 

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"dadevike" said:

It can't be an easy situation for a kicker, a team that has had 2 young kickers lose their nerve and a head coach who considers kickers a PITA. 

Agreed.  It has to be tough to keep the doubts from creeping into your thoughts as you are about to kick.  Whether it is an easy kick that you are expected to make or a long kick that we need to win the game, you need incredible focus. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
again I ask,  how is Preifer/Zim not getting called into question on these kicking woes?  its not just the place kickers,  our punters is a shankapotumus as well.
Don't know how Zim is responsible, but as of yesterday, I started to wonder about Preifer. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Don't know how Zim is responsible, but as of yesterday, I started to wonder about Preifer. 
he doesnt like kickers so I dont know how hostile he can be towards them or how he handles them at all.... and he is Preifers HC so ultimately the buck stops with him in regards to how his staff is doing.