Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A gross loss to Philly and apathy will kick in...
I cant remember a bigger game this early in the season

My concern is if they lose this week and drop to 1-3-1 it takes a 2 game win streak just to get back to .500. That would mean 4 weeks without a win. Counting a tie.
I know it's early still but the NFL has so few games. They lose this week and the earliest they can get past .500 is mid season. They are using up all their margin for error early. Without correcting their errors even marginally. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"TBro" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Honestly, I'm pretty close now between this surprisingly horrible defense and what-we-thought-it-was offensive line.
This team seems emotionally fragile except for Kirk Cousins, Diggs, and Thielen. Those three go out and just perform not matter what(the Bills game being the exception). The rest of the team just looks shell shocked and confused. It's like they felt they were entitled to win games because of the media hype machine and realized you have to actually show up with a strong effort every week or shit like this can and will happen. Can Zimmer inspire this team to a victory? I don't think so because he doesn't strike me as that kind of coach but somebody needs to create some urgency and understand our backs are against the wall. I hate to put so much emphasis on one game, but to me, this is the pivotal matchup we need to win, on the road, in a stadium we usually suck in, to turn this season around. 
Kind of refutes your whole premise.  Those 3 were awful in the Bill's game, just like everyone else.  Never seen Thielen drop so many passes in a year as he did that game.  Cousins was way off.
I know. But those three have earned the benefit of the doubt with how they have performed in our other games so far with minimal pass protection at best. Plus, Flip is a new coordinator, with a new offense, and new QB. I expected difficult games like the Bills at the beginning of the year as they were finding their identity, just not the overall team meltdown that we saw in that game. What is Zimmer's excuse for how this defense has played since last year? He doesn't have one. He's been given every tool he needs for a championship caliber defense but they are failing miserably. I'm not suggesting you are defending him or making excuses for him, but to just focus on that one statement, which I qualified, is ignoring the bigger issue I tried to illustrate that supports Sticky Bun's thread topic. 

Quote: @"TBro" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"TBro" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Honestly, I'm pretty close now between this surprisingly horrible defense and what-we-thought-it-was offensive line.
This team seems emotionally fragile except for Kirk Cousins, Diggs, and Thielen. Those three go out and just perform not matter what(the Bills game being the exception). The rest of the team just looks shell shocked and confused. It's like they felt they were entitled to win games because of the media hype machine and realized you have to actually show up with a strong effort every week or shit like this can and will happen. Can Zimmer inspire this team to a victory? I don't think so because he doesn't strike me as that kind of coach but somebody needs to create some urgency and understand our backs are against the wall. I hate to put so much emphasis on one game, but to me, this is the pivotal matchup we need to win, on the road, in a stadium we usually suck in, to turn this season around. 
Kind of refutes your whole premise.  Those 3 were awful in the Bill's game, just like everyone else.  Never seen Thielen drop so many passes in a year as he did that game.  Cousins was way off.
I know. But those three have earned the benefit of the doubt with how they have performed in our other games so far with minimal pass protection at best. Plus, Flip is a new coordinator, with a new offense, and new QB. I expected difficult games like the Bills at the beginning of the year as they were finding their identity, just not the overall team meltdown that we saw in that game. What is Zimmer's excuse for how this defense has played since last year? He doesn't have one. He's been given every tool he needs for a championship caliber defense but they are failing miserably. I'm not suggesting you are defending him or making excuses for him, but to just focus on that one statement, which I qualified, is ignoring the bigger issue I tried to illustrate that supports Sticky Bun's thread topic. 
Just that the qualifier doesn't fit.  I would include them in the "fragile" tag.  They were a huge part of the loss to the Bills.

The defense, I don't know.  Something is missing.  The trust, the teamwork, everyone doing their own job. 

I am wondering if there is going to be an kind of advantage for the offense with DeFilippo. Also the defense is going through an identity crisis and leadership issues. There might be some growing pains along the way. I am trying to be patient. We will learn a lot about this team from this game.

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
My concern is if they lose this week and drop to 1-3-1 it takes a 2 game win streak just to get back to .500. That would mean 4 weeks without a win. Counting a tie.
I know it's early still but the NFL has so few games. They lose this week and the earliest they can get past .500 is mid season. They are using up all their margin for error early. Without correcting their errors even marginally. 
Sobering, simple math of the day:

1-3-1 means they have to go 9/2 the rest of the way to get to 10-5-1. They better get their shit together in a hurry. 

9 wins might sneak into the playoffs, but NFC looks mighty good and the rest of the schedule looks pretty brutal.

@ NE, @ Sea, @ Jets, @ Det, @ Chi.

Yup, they better get their shit together fast.  

To me this game is on Difillipo  he should have a game plan on how to beat that Defense and have a good idea what they do on offense   If we get blown out....

Quote: @"Sir Viking Bob VWO" said:
To me this game is on Difillipo  he should have a game plan on how to beat that Defense and have a good idea what they do on offense   If we get blown out....
Running game is non-existent, but I dont think our major problems lie at the feet of Flip. No, imo this is on the D and architects of that D. They can't stop anybody. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Sir Viking Bob VWO" said:
Running game is non-existent, but I dont think our major problems lie at the feet of Flip. No, imo this is on the D and architects of that D. They can't stop anybody. 

I don't like Rodgers, but he isn't a nobody.  1 touchdown,  And Garapallo was hailed as the next big thing.  1 TD, 3 INTs.

They put up yards, but not points.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
Sobering, simple math of the day:

1-3-1 means they have to go 9/2 the rest of the way to get to 10-5-1. They better get their shit together in a hurry. 

9 wins might sneak into the playoffs, but NFC looks mighty good and the rest of the schedule looks pretty brutal.

@ NE, @ Sea, @ Jets, @ Det, @ Chi.

Yup, they better get their shit together fast.  

To me, what's even more sobering is the simple, irrefutable fact of the Vikings grand total of 2 playoff wins since Saint Richard has blessed us poor, unlucky and unloved Vikings fans with his mere presence (13 seasons).

Just to put that pathetic TOTAL PLAYOFF WIN record in perspective, the Coughlin Jacksonville Jaguars EQUALED that 2 win total in a span of 8 DAYS in January, 2018. 
The legendary Rex Ryan/Mark Sanchez duo DOUBLED that total with FOUR PLAYOFF WINS over the course of 2 seasons, ALL of those victories on the road. Aaron Rodgers and GB also DOUBLED that total in ONE postseason on the way to a SB VICTORY (and they had, I believe, 9 STARTERS on IR)

But, yeah, let's put the spotlight on the 3rd HC under Schpielman's watch. 

You know what's REALLY sobering? The fact that since L'il Ricky has taken control of ALL scouting and player personnel in 2006, the Vikings have had more home stadiums than Playoff Wins!! LMAO!!!