Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zim
Quote: @"pumpf" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
we need to remember that there were rule changes that are affecting defensive backs this year, not making excuses for Rhodes and the rest,  but they have had to adjust how they play down field and that might be part of the let down.  i dont think its just our D,  IIRC that Rams D was the top in the league heading into last night and our pathetic O hung 31 on them in their own home after only 1 or 2 days of prep and a long flight.  

all these changes to the d make the game more and more lopsided,  i dont know how much of this drop off is related to scheme or how much is related to defense players that arent allowed to play defense any more?  
This. The NFL wants offense, offense and more offense. I don't know what crowd they are catering to these days but this crap looks like arena league football.
Except for the fact that OTHER teams are still able to play defense.  If everyone was "down" this year, that explanation would carry more weight.  But there are other teams that aren't having nearly as much trouble as we are at stopping the other teams' offenses.

Kind of like the Rams last night?? They gave up 31 points at home you know. Kirk passed for 422 yards and 3 TDs against their vaunted D. You never even heard Donald's name until late in the game (when it mattered most, of course, I give you that). Anyway, you can't deny that the Aaron Fudge rule, for starters, is affecting the entire NFL in a negative way, not just the Vikings.

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
we need to remember that there were rule changes that are affecting defensive backs this year, not making excuses for Rhodes and the rest,  but they have had to adjust how they play down field and that might be part of the let down.  i dont think its just our D,  IIRC that Rams D was the top in the league heading into last night and our pathetic O hung 31 on them in their own home after only 1 or 2 days of prep and a long flight.  

all these changes to the d make the game more and more lopsided,  i dont know how much of this drop off is related to scheme or how much is related to defense players that arent allowed to play defense any more?  
This. The NFL wants offense, offense and more offense. I don't know what crowd they are catering to these days but this crap looks like arena league football.
Except for the fact that OTHER teams are still able to play defense.  If everyone was "down" this year, that explanation would carry more weight.  But there are other teams that aren't having nearly as much trouble as we are at stopping the other teams' offenses.
I read that the rams were the topped ranked D in the league prior to last night and our bumbling O hung 31 on them inspite of all the obstacles that our team was facing... our D has faced some pretty good offenses early I think after only 3 weeks its hard to say that some teams are fine and others are really struggling since the quality of opponents can vary so much.   yes there is concern, but IMO it should be at a league wide level because I havent really been all that impressed with anybodies D that we have seen.  maybe Buffalos but if we take care of their DE that was a different game IMO.

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
@"pumpf" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

Kind of like the Rams last night?? They gave up 31 points at home you know. Kirk passed for 422 yards and 3 TDs against their vaunted D. You never even heard Donald's name until late in the game (when it mattered most, of course, I give you that). Anyway, you can't deny that the Aaron Fudge rule, for starters, is affecting the entire NFL in a negative way, not just the Vikings.
That's exactly what I was thinking. No doubt the Vikings have been terrible on defense. No two ways around that. But if you look at the game objectively, you have to at least acknowledge that the Rams defense--like ours, loaded with talent--was lit up too. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
I think the biggest issue is the number of big plays this team has given up.  Mac Alexander has been really inconsistent, Barr looks soft, and Rhodes and Waynes are not playing as well as last season.  Seems like there is a lack of communication on defense...  maybe losing Robison and Newman is having more of an effect on the defense than fans want to admit.  Both were critical in getting guys lined up and making sure everyone was on the same page during the course of games.
I'm really surprised how bad the defense has looked this season.  They need to figure it out fast...
Have to laugh at the "Zim is old and out of touch" line.  This isn't so much about scheme as it is about players not doing their jobs.  One has to wonder if they bought into the hype?  Did they think they didn't have to train and learn in camp?  They aren't as detailed and are giving up the big plays as you say.  That is what Zimmer likely can't figure out.  How to get guys heads right so they do their job so everyone can be confident and focus on their own responsibilities rather than worrying about where the dam is leaking.

That said, I worried about what losing Robison might do to the team.  Of course many laughed or mocked it.  But when you treat someone shitty, it does have an affect on the rest of the team.  The "family" and taking care of the team talk becomes rather empty.

What I don't understand is that we've gone away from what made us successful.  Corners that we drafted for their ability to play press are now playing 10 yards off.  Double A gap blitzes and looks?  We see it only a handful of times.  I see a lot of Cover 3.  Trae Waynes dropping off into a zone look and still allows Cooper Kupp to run by him into the corner of the endzone with Hughes trailing?  

And that run defense, jesus.  Every single handoff was a 7-8 yard gain.  I saw ONE TFL by Kendricks.  Why can our LB's not penetrate?  Rams completely out-schemed our defense in every phase.  

From what I have heard is that so far this year offenses are on pace for a record year in scoring. The average passer ratings so far is off the charts compared to year averages. Defenses are not allowed to defend like they used to. The NFL wanted NBA type games, and now they have them.

Quote: @"SFVikeFan" said:
What I don't understand is that we've gone away from what made us successful.  Corners that we drafted for their ability to play press are now playing 10 yards off.  Double A gap blitzes and looks?  We see it only a handful of times.  I see a lot of Cover 3.  Trae Waynes dropping off into a zone look and still allows Cooper Kupp to run by him into the corner of the endzone with Hughes trailing?  

And that run defense, jesus.  Every single handoff was a 7-8 yard gain.  I saw ONE TFL by Kendricks.  Why can our LB's not penetrate?  Rams completely out-schemed our defense in every phase.  
Gurley had a 4.9 average.  Way too much, but not quite 7-8.  He ended the night with less than 90 yards on the ground.  Seems like the GB game, my eyes told me they were gashing us on the run, but combined for less than 100 yards rushing.  So what to make of that?

Perhaps it is the passing game in today's NFL that makes it seem that way.  Teams are trying to defend the pass more and willing to give up the run. 

Quote: @"SFVikeFan" said:

THIS, THIS, THIS.

Press coverage....Double A gaps.....stunts.....shifts.......

This looks NOTHING like Vikings defenses the last two years.  We just sit back and let QBs pick us apart.....GO GET 'EM!!!!  Penalty for roughing be damned if you're giving up 30 yard passes to Cooper Kupp...what's the difference?

The difference is Goff (and others) starts hearing footsteps in their head.

Quote: @"Vanguard83" said:
@"SFVikeFan" said:

THIS, THIS, THIS.

Press coverage....Double A gaps.....stunts.....shifts.......

This looks NOTHING like Vikings defenses the last two years.  We just sit back and let QBs pick us apart.....GO GET 'EM!!!!  Penalty for roughing be damned if you're giving up 30 yard passes to Cooper Kupp...what's the difference?

The difference is Goff (and others) starts hearing footsteps in their head.

Not sure that on the road against McVay's offense is the place for double a gap blitz, but I do hear you.  We aren't aggressive this year.

They are obviously having communication problems.  They really miss Griffen and BRob.  I'm to the point that I'm not sure why Barr is even playing.  I really believe it's more the players than the coaching.  I guess this about sums up my opinion of the situation.