Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zim
It's time Zim gave up play calling on the D.  He is the head coach, not the Defensive Coordinator.  If Edwards can't handle the job, it's time we find someone who can.  The pass rush is terrible, but there is also way to many players out of position.  Love Mike as a head coach, but it's time to delegate some of the defensive responsibilities to Edwards.  If he fails, then so be it. Get a good young mind that can take this D back to where it was.  

He wont going firing himself as DC, but it's probably time to more subtly turn some of the calling to Edwards. We need some new looks schematically, Vikings look old and slow out there with the mismatches OC's creating. 

I don't think he knows what to do to fix this and he admitted as much after the game. Might be a long year. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I don't think he knows what to do to fix this and he admitted as much after the game. Might be a long year. 
I agree he does seem perplexed.  I would have hoped the last game and a half of last year would have been enough to realize that changes needed to be made schematically.  It's early and still time to turn it around, but need to see improvements against Philly or it could be an ugly ugly year.

Zim is looking old and out of touch. I dont think he turns it around this year. owners will have to decide to let him go or give him one last shot.

I'm reminded of a saying. Something about old dogs and new tricks. He can't change what he believes is right. This might be time for someone above him to tell him it's time. It also might not matter. It's the players picked for his system. Got 10 days till the next one. Treat this as a mini bye and hit that drawing board.

I think the biggest issue is the number of big plays this team has given up.  Mac Alexander has been really inconsistent, Barr looks soft, and Rhodes and Waynes are not playing as well as last season.  Seems like there is a lack of communication on defense...  maybe losing Robison and Newman is having more of an effect on the defense than fans want to admit.  Both were critical in getting guys lined up and making sure everyone was on the same page during the course of games.
I'm really surprised how bad the defense has looked this season.  They need to figure it out fast...

we need to remember that there were rule changes that are affecting defensive backs this year, not making excuses for Rhodes and the rest,  but they have had to adjust how they play down field and that might be part of the let down.  i dont think its just our D,  IIRC that Rams D was the top in the league heading into last night and our pathetic O hung 31 on them in their own home after only 1 or 2 days of prep and a long flight.  

all these changes to the d make the game more and more lopsided,  i dont know how much of this drop off is related to scheme or how much is related to defense players that arent allowed to play defense any more?  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
we need to remember that there were rule changes that are affecting defensive backs this year, not making excuses for Rhodes and the rest,  but they have had to adjust how they play down field and that might be part of the let down.  i dont think its just our D,  IIRC that Rams D was the top in the league heading into last night and our pathetic O hung 31 on them in their own home after only 1 or 2 days of prep and a long flight.  

all these changes to the d make the game more and more lopsided,  i dont know how much of this drop off is related to scheme or how much is related to defense players that arent allowed to play defense any more?  
This. The NFL wants offense, offense and more offense. I don't know what crowd they are catering to these days but this crap looks like arena league football.

Quote: @prairieghost said:
@JimmyinSD said:

This. The NFL wants offense, offense and more offense. I don't know what crowd they are catering to these days but this crap looks like arena league football.
Except for the fact that OTHER teams are still able to play defense.  If everyone was "down" this year, that explanation would carry more weight.  But there are other teams that aren't having nearly as much trouble as we are at stopping the other teams' offenses.