Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My question throughout the game
Why not have a guy like Iloka out there?? I don't get it. I really don't think he can do worse. Did we put him on our roster as a favor, just to ensure he could earn some money this year??? WTF...
The secondary: Xavier lets the game get into his head now. Sendejo looks like crap. Waynes looks like he is on his way to crap (and got hurt). Hughes is very young and is definitely trying to shine. Mack Alexander needs the bench. I really didn't even see what was going on with Harry because of the rest of these guys.
LBers: None of these guys can cover. Kendricks used to be pretty good at it. Barr is NOT good at it. Maybe Barr just wants out of Minnesota. He may get his wish.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@pumpf said:
I thought we got Iloka for our "big Nickel" packages.  Seems like we could've used that tonight.  Why did we bother to get him?  Did he even see the field tonight?
As for "what's wrong with our defense", I think it's simple: we have a couple of young guys in the secondary.  Either they aren't "getting it" yet... or they're just not that good.
Of course, then there's the lack of leadership due to BRob being released...
If BRob being released is the reason the D is off, then fire everyone because that's ridiculous. There are other leaders on D, like Harrison Smith. This 'lack' of leadership stuff is such fan garbage. No offense, pumpf, but I don't agree with that at all. Griffen was missed last night on the field big time and was against Buffalo, too. He's the best player on the D. 

The D has been exposed.  There's little doubt about that now. And it started late last year.
No offense taken.  But, having played football at a "high" level... and having coached it for 20+ years... I don't think people understand the importance of leadership.  Harrison is an awesome player- but what makes you think he is a "leader"?  

Quote: @pumpf said:
@StickyBun said:
@pumpf said:
I thought we got Iloka for our "big Nickel" packages.  Seems like we could've used that tonight.  Why did we bother to get him?  Did he even see the field tonight?
As for "what's wrong with our defense", I think it's simple: we have a couple of young guys in the secondary.  Either they aren't "getting it" yet... or they're just not that good.
If BRob being released is the reason the D is off, then fire everyone because that's ridiculous. There are other leaders on D, like Harrison Smith. This 'lack' of leadership stuff is such fan garbage. No offense, pumpf, but I don't agree with that at all. Griffen was missed last night on the field big time and was against Buffalo, too. He's the best player on the D. 

The D has been exposed.  There's little doubt about that now. And it started late last year.
No offense taken.  But, having played football at a "high" level... and having coached it for 20+ years... I don't think people understand the importance of leadership.  Harrison is an awesome player- but what makes you think he is a "leader"?  
Then why is this great leader of men not employed ?
 Seems like a simple solution for any team with complicated issues looking for easy wins...hire him & you...badda bing badda Boom Super Bowl !

Quote: @greediron said:
@96POPS said:
I'd say they really aren't running the same scheme as last year with the same personnel. 
You have guys that have gotten fat contracts try show they deserve those paychecks and youngster trying to show they belong.
Brian may have been getting older but he always put the team and scheme of the defense first and foremost because he wanted to win more than anything.
The de$ense was predicated on each person doing their job and everything else fell into place. That's why many times it was his job to put players in place to make plays even if it meant tying up blockers or reading blocking signals and moving someone into place. Unselfishness made it work but what wen along with that was the fact that on the front 7 you had a group that had played together and knew each other's responses.
This is my belief.
I would say you are pretty spot on.

I will add that there is something schematically wrong with having Barr trying to stay with a speedy WR. That just isn't going to happen with a LB.
I thought that was why Iloka was brought in, to be our Tevin Smith?

Quote: @Maple Surple said:
@pumpf said:
@StickyBun said:
@pumpf said:

Seems like a simple solution for any team with complicated issues looking for easy wins...hire him & you...badda bing badda Boom Super Bowl !

you cant hire leadership... its made from within.   you can hire people with leadership traits,  but its more than just the person that makes them a leader or not.  BRob had the respect of his teammates because of his experience,  his knowledge of the system,  and how he carried himself,  its all those things that made him a good field general.  the job is there but nobody on our D seems to want to or be able to grab it.... IMO its to many guys on short deals that are worried about next year instead of taking care of this year,  also to many subdued guys mixed with really overly emotional guys.  not enough middle ground personalities with experience and knowledge to do the job.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Maple Surple said:
@pumpf said:
@StickyBun said:
@pumpf said:

you cant hire leadership... its made from within.   you can hire people with leadership traits,  but its more than just the person that makes them a leader or not.  BRob had the respect of his teammates because of his experience,  his knowledge of the system,  and how he carried himself,  its all those things that made him a good field general.  the job is there but nobody on our D seems to want to or be able to grab it.... IMO its to many guys on short deals that are worried about next year instead of taking care of this year,  also to many subdued guys mixed with really overly emotional guys.  not enough middle ground personalities with experience and knowledge to do the job.
This is complete conjecture on your part. Give me a break. I liked Robison as much as anyone, but let's get real here. Sorry Jimmy, but this is such an eye roll post on your part for me. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@Maple Surple said:
@pumpf said:
@StickyBun said:
@pumpf said:

This is complete conjecture on your part. Give me a break. I liked Robison as much as anyone, but let's get real here. Sorry Jimmy, but this is such an eye roll post on your part for me. 
Agreed Jimmy. Good post. Sorry if some think it's bullshit. Truth be told i don't think Brian could help much because everyone is worried about their stats,  glory and money.

Maybe a statue of him would help brighten up the locker room ?

C’mon...
I get that you guys all have all his jerseys and autographed pics & have actually talked to him in person about fish, but enough. This message board has turned into a living obituary 
Opponent scores...BRob would have stopped it, Our QB fumbles ? BRob would have coached him up, Our secondary falls apart? BRob would have laid his hands on them

Look we get it, you really liked him and his Dad being connected here, but that ship has sailed. You can’t be objective & obsessive, they don’t mix

If nothing else tell me why ...
not one team in the league hasn’t hired him as a player or coach ?

@JimmyinSD said:
@Maple Surple said:
@pumpf said:
@StickyBun said:
@pumpf said:

yes it is,  but having played and coached competitive sports my whole life i have personal experience to fall back on.. .roll your eyes if you want, I honestly dont care.  there is something more off with this team than just a failing scheme,  this team looks like it has no direction on the field and that is a lack of leadership IMO... yes my opinion,  you dont have to agree,  you are free to be wrong if you want.

Quote: @96POPS said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Maple Surple said:
@pumpf said:
@StickyBun said:
@pumpf said:

Agreed Jimmy. Good post. Sorry if some think it's bullshit. Truth be told i don't think Brian could help much because everyone is worried about their stats,  glory and money.
which is a sign of a lack of leadership, when players put their own goals and situation ahead of the team,  its a failure of leadership,  not scheme,  not drafting,  its a lack of respect from the players for the team itself and good leadership helps to curtail that kind of shit.