Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This team is too good for a bad rookie kicker
I'm not talking about cutting Treadwell this season, I'm talking about reducing his snaps and getting Coley in there. Move on from him in that way. Phase him out of the offense. He wanted to be more a part of the offense and now he can't handle it. Disappointing to say the least. 

I think they need to sit down with Carlson,  really grill him and see where his head is at.  If he cant convince the coaches this morning that he put that behind him, then get Bailey on the phone and see what his ask is (although I would be disappointed if they dont already know).  I agree that the kid could end up costing the team a game,  but I am no more concerned about Carlson than I would have been with Forbath,  i had zero confidence in him making a kick when we needed it.  

It makes sense that team morale would be affected by letting go of a savvy, team first guy like Robison. Letting go of a rookie kicker who just lost them a huge game?? Not so much...
Edit: Okay, technically he didn't lose them the game...but he didn't win them the game, either. The only solace I take away from this situation is that if we were going to tie with anybody in the division I'm glad it was Green Bay and not the other 2 teams. The Fudge have to live with this outcome too.

They don't have to cut Treadwell right now just his playing time. As far as Carlson is concerned, they need to do something sooner rather than later.

Coley missed a pass that almost ended up in a INT as well. I say demote a few of the WRs and get a guy like Zylstra or Beebe up and give them a chance. Cut Carlson and get Bailey because Carlson has missed several kicks already. So he has a big leg, but he isn't going to do much for us missing most of his kicks.

I'd be surprised if Rick isn't already checking on other free agent PKers.  I'm thinking Zim would have a fit if there wasn't other options available for the team going into the Rams game.  This week they most likely won't need a kicker to make a game winner, but after that they have the Rams then the Eagles.  The team will need a kicker that can be counted on in those games.

Quote: @Neptizzle said:
Coley missed a pass that almost ended up in a INT as well. I say demote a few of the WRs and get a guy like Zylstra or Beebe up and give them a chance. Cut Carlson and get Bailey because Carlson has missed several kicks already. So he has a big leg, but he isn't going to do much for us missing most of his kicks.
Gotta disagree a bit about Coley: the Fox announcers were also taking that idea, but Coley missed a pass and it went through his hands - no one had a great chance to intercept. But Treadwell literally batted the ball up in the air so it was an easy interception opportunity! Coley doesn't seem to be a great upgrade (yet, based on extremely limited sample size), but at least he didn't put the ball up for grabs! Treadwell also had a drop where he just stupidly started running before securing the ball. Stupid rookie mistakes that should not happen with a third-year player.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
we dont have shit for cap space right now.  cutting Treadwell would immediately become a 5 million dollar cap hit.... and siging Bailey would like take another couple million.  as of last week I think I saw where we have about 1.5 million in cap space right now.   All this talk of cutting people and signing people is sweet if the money were there.  they could maybe make Bailey work,  but Treadwell is here through next year most likely.
We have to straighten this out, but my understanding is that if Treadwell is cut today, we will still have his 2018 salary ($2.7M) counted against our cap this year (so no cap relief), and next year we will also have to count his 2019 salary ($3.1M). But I don't think cutting him today forces us to add next year's salary to this year's cap. 

Quote: @Neptizzle said:
Hard to say though what the issue was with the INT.  With a sample size of 1 (and not being able to find a replay of the INT), I'd be willing to give him more chances.  Really, I'm OK with them giving anyone more chances as long as it keeps Treadwell off the field.

I'm not for cutting Treadwell. I think his drops can be overcome, especially considering that it's never really been a problem for him in the past. I am, however, for cutting Carlson asap and bringing in a veteran kicker. Even IF Carlson goes on to make 3, 4, 5 in a row, that doubt, uncertainty will always be with him, the fans, the players, the coaching staff, and the opposing team (they'll chirp at him constantly). And that's a very bad thing as we compete for a title. The bigger the kick, the bigger the doubt. It's a head thing and it's not something he can easily move past. If we can somehow put him on the practice squad, I'd be for that.