Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Board Split
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"ThunderGod" said:
It seems like there are a number of people who don't post here any more but I cannot put my finger on it.  Sometimes people just get busy with life and don't have time and sometimes people just wonder off and you don't see them as much.
The decision to separate politics was not a popular one amd that sent quite a few to create a new home.  Some still stop in once in a while.  A few have moved back and some bounce regularly between both boards. 
I bounce back and forth.  I don't post much over there but I do stop in and lurk.  Heck I still go to purple thoughts every now and then.  The Skol board on reddit is one of my viking stops as well.  All boards have a purpose. 

I didn't even know people were missing until someone mentioned it a few weeks ago. But then I realized I hadn't seen a few specific posters in a while. I miss one or two, but I'm guessing the majority are the type who get offended if you disagree with them. 

I don't visit any board but this one. I don't have a 2nd favorite football team and I don't play in more than one fantasy league. I guess I'm funny like that. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"ThunderGod" said:
It seems like there are a number of people who don't post here any more but I cannot put my finger on it.  Sometimes people just get busy with life and don't have time and sometimes people just wonder off and you don't see them as much.
The decision to separate politics was not a popular one amd that sent quite a few to create a new home.  Some still stop in once in a while.  A few have moved back and some bounce regularly between both boards. 
Not a popular decision. I'll give you major credit for that joyful understatement.

I miss a lot of folks that left over the politics thing, and those that have moved on in life for other reasons. I truly miss everyone and never had any real beef with anyone. There are comments made in here that underscore why the decision was made. There are also some technological reasons behind it. We had a SWEET setup a couple formats ago that I hand tweaked. Then that software became unsupported AND a security risk for users. I thought I had a software program that would allow us to move forward but it didn't and it didn't allow us to have people filter out topics that they didn't want to view. That frankly sucked. Then I found some new software that we are using now that allowed me to get pretty darn near close to the old system that we had. 

I will say that in addition to having software that allowed folks to filter out political or sensitive topics there was another piece that needed to be instituted which was to keep people that couldn't handle those conversations without degrading into name calling and fighting that spilled into other topics. That was a bit hard for folks to swallow and I understand that. But as I said there are comments in here that underscore that people didn't want that spilling over and into the football related posts. 

In the end it took me longer than anticipated to get a working system up and also folks wanted the open sandbox approach where anything goes. I don't begrudge anyone for it. I get it. I miss all of those folks. I do and I wish that you all had the ability to be able to post together and frequent one place. 

My biggest regret for this place is knowing that I played a part in that. 

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
I miss a lot of folks that left over the politics thing, and those that have moved on in life for other reasons. I truly miss everyone and never had any real beef with anyone. There are comments made in here that underscore why the decision was made. There are also some technological reasons behind it. We had a SWEET setup a couple formats ago that I hand tweaked. Then that software became unsupported AND a security risk for users. I thought I had a software program that would allow us to move forward but it didn't and it didn't allow us to have people filter out topics that they didn't want to view. That frankly sucked. Then I found some new software that we are using now that allowed me to get pretty darn near close to the old system that we had. 

I will say that in addition to having software that allowed folks to filter out political or sensitive topics there was another piece that needed to be instituted which was to keep people that couldn't handle those conversations without degrading into name calling and fighting that spilled into other topics. That was a bit hard for folks to swallow and I understand that. But as I said there are comments in here that underscore that people didn't want that spilling over and into the football related posts. 

In the end it took me longer than anticipated to get a working system up and also folks wanted the open sandbox approach where anything goes. I don't begrudge anyone for it. I get it. I miss all of those folks. I do and I wish that you all had the ability to be able to post together and frequent one place. 

but can you get spell check/auto correct to work on mobile!!!???!!

as for the split. people are happy where theyre at or they wouldnt be where theyre at. it is what it is. i wish more people could figure out one place so we had more topics/replys. 

Don't be that hard on yourself Mike.  The Admin job is thankless by and large.  As I have said before, the board split was more a Pepsi and Coke thing...it depends on what product you're looking for.  The politics thing was kind of the final straw for many (poor Tempe who had to roll out the announcement) but it was also indicative of a general change in philosophy for this board...from being primarily a message board...to a concentration on original content.  If you look at the result, the number of hits to this site are way up...and the number of threads and posts are way down.  It's much like visiting VikingUpdate / PurplePTSD for me...I visit for the content...and than jump back to another board for interaction.  Conversely, the Viking Horn generates more posting activity in a day than this board.

It does suck.  Like many, I still have many friends over here (including the artist formerly known as Somewhat Awesome).
Come say hi from time to time.  I'll do the same.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
P1 has already mentioned abandoning that board at least once (shocking, I know). So it might just be a matter of time where everyone is back here. One board, two boards, 1721 boards...find the ones you like...avoid the ones you dont...does it really matter? ...nothing wrong with options. But yeah, this is more than old news. It's packer week... 

Everyone has bad days. I seem to recall Mike considering stepping down on several occasions.

Quote:

Mike, I'll tell you, that sounds a lot like an apology to me. I choose to take it as such and I forgive whatever part you played. I always respected you. Bygone's are gone for me and I hold no ill will toward you. But few things are certain in life, one of the few is change. For better or worse. Peace.

I respect all your hard work and effort. You were in a tough spot but you did the best you could with what you had. That's all you can do. Live and learn. I hope all is well with you.