Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The next BRob?
Quote: @"greediron" said:
https://www.vikings.com/news/weatherly-b...nsive-line

Sounds similar, athletic, smart, can drop in coverage, even down to the nice guy part.  Hopefully he is one of the young DEs that need to step up and into the regular rotation.
Didn’t Robison become a starter almost immediately?  I understand the Dline was pretty weak at the time but we haven’t even seen Weatherly flash in the regular season.

Quote: @"Purplewhizz" said:
@"greediron" said:

Sounds similar, athletic, smart, can drop in coverage, even down to the nice guy part.  Hopefully he is one of the young DEs that need to step up and into the regular rotation.
Didn’t Robison become a starter almost immediately?  I understand the Dline was pretty weak at the time but we haven’t even seen Weatherly flash in the regular season.
No he didn't. Jared Allen started at right end from 2008-2013 and at left end it was Udeze in 2006/2007 and Ray Edwards from 2008-10. BRob didn't beome a regular starter until 2011, after Edwards had left via FA.

Only as a Rookie in '07 he started 5 games, because Edwards was suspended for a PED violation.

Quote: @"GermanVike" said:
@"Purplewhizz" said:
@"greediron" said:

No he didn't. Jared Allen started at right end from 2008-2013 and at left end it was Udeze in 2006/2007 and Ray Edwards from 2008-10. BRob didn't beome a regular starter until 2011, after Edwards had left via FA.

Only as a Rookie in '07 he started 5 games, because Edwards was suspended for a PED violation.
That was political or some such shit.  BRob was clearly better than ray in all aspects of the position but they sand bagged Brian,  I remembet thinking it at the time and Pops was pretty vocal about what was going on as well back then.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"GermanVike" said:
@"Purplewhizz" said:
@"greediron" said:

That was political or some such shit.  BRob was clearly better than ray in all aspects of the position but they sand bagged Brian,  I remembet thinking it at the time and Pops was pretty vocal about what was going on as well back then.
He may not have have started but he played a lot, didn’t he?  I remember almost immediately thinking we had something with him.  

His first game he had 2 sacks. Tied the franchise record with Doleman for most sack in a rookie debut. I don't why but Frazier and company didn't want to play him much. Even the first year after doing that and starting 5 games, he only got played 39% of the defensive snaps. And his playing time decreased each year after that. 2nd yr. 26%, 3rd yr. 23%, 4th yr 33% (because Ray was injured some and he started a few games). He finished his rookie year #2 among rookies with 4.5 sacks, i think. #1 was Akoye at 5 or 5.5. At the time I thought they just didn't want him him show anything to keep his pay down to resign him cheap. Which is just what they did.

Quote: @"96POPS" said:
His first game he had 3 sacks. Tied the franchise record with Doleman for most sack in a rookie debut. I don't why but Frazier and company didn't want to play him much. Even the first year after doing that and starting 5 games, he only got played 39% of the defensive snaps. And his playing time decreased each year after that. 2nd yr. 26%, 3rd yr. 23%, 4th yr 33% (because Ray was injured some and he started a few games). He finished his rookie year #2 among rookies with 4.5 sacks, i think. #1 was Akoye at 5 or 5.5. At the time I thought they just didn't want him him show anything to keep his pay down to resign him cheap. Which is just what they did.
Remember Okkam's Razor.  I don't think we need to think any harder than Frazier is a bad coach.  We all lost time we'd rather have back due to his association with the team.

Weatherly kicked some butt last night.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Weatherly kicked some butt last night.
He's finally showing up in preseason after being invisible for two years.  I said earlier this off-season that he needs to show something or his spot on the team would be in jeopardy with all the young developmental talent the Vikings have acquired.

Hopefully it carries over into the regular season.  It'd be nice to have another option to pair with Robison to give us a true DE rotation.