Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade bait? Real praise?
Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
I don't hear anything in that statement that sounds backhanded at all.

Either way, part of Zimmer's job is to nip controversies in the bud. If Cousins were to get hurt, you'd want QB2 to come in knowing he has the full support of the players and coaching staff. It would be wrong for Zimmer to talk like a fan and say something about how Sloter has been great and Siemian not so much, ostensibly "promoting" a competition for QB2. If there is a competition it would be held in film rooms behind closed doors. 
Yes, having a backup QB that actually has some game experience is a good idea.  Sloter has some moxie and is making plays (against the 3rd string) so Zim is happy to see that.  But hopefully Sloter has 3 more years to learn the game.
nice little dig there,  given my option... give me the guy that makes plays against 3rd stingers vs the guy that cant make plays against a 2nd string any day.  at least with Sloter there is hope for the future,  I just dont see anything from Simien to suggest that he is any kind of answer if Kirk goes down.  he just looks lost out there.

I think Mike's praise is genuine. He does praise guys...as long as your name ain't Case that is.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Either way, part of Zimmer's job is to nip controversies in the bud. If Cousins were to get hurt, you'd want QB2 to come in knowing he has the full support of the players and coaching staff. It would be wrong for Zimmer to talk like a fan and say something about how Sloter has been great and Siemian not so much, ostensibly "promoting" a competition for QB2. If there is a competition it would be held in film rooms behind closed doors. 
Yes, having a backup QB that actually has some game experience is a good idea.  Sloter has some moxie and is making plays (against the 3rd string) so Zim is happy to see that.  But hopefully Sloter has 3 more years to learn the game.
nice little dig there,  given my option... give me the guy that makes plays against 3rd stingers vs the guy that cant make plays against a 2nd string any day.  at least with Sloter there is hope for the future,  I just dont see anything from Simien to suggest that he is any kind of answer if Kirk goes down.  he just looks lost out there.
No dig against you Jimmy, just my opinion.  Sloter looks like the future, but with this team, I don't want raw if Cousins goes down.  I want someone who has seen real NFL action and can be trusted.  Sloter is looking good, don't get me wrong, but August is a far cry from December.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

No dig against you Jimmy, just my opinion.  Sloter looks like the future, but with this team, I don't want raw if Cousins goes down.  I want someone who has seen real NFL action and can be trusted.  Sloter is looking good, don't get me wrong, but August is a far cry from December.
Ha,  no I meant a dig against Sloter.  I get that he is playing against 3s,  but he is also playing with 3s.  Simien cant get anything done against 2s with our 1s and 2s.  I think I would like to see them flipped for this weeks game.  (i would also start our 1s on the OL and try and get them more reps together)  but lets see what the kid looks like against better competition.  Maybe he gets overwhelmed... maybe he surprises,  either way it wouldnt hurt a thing IMO and like I said in another thread,  if Cousins goes down, we are likely done anyway so get the kid in there.  I dont see Simien as even a game manager the way he has looked thus far.

Ha,  no I meant a dig against Sloter.  I get that he is playing against 3s,  but he is also playing with 3s.  Simien cant get anything done against 2s with our 1s and 2s.  I think I would like to see them flipped for this weeks game.  (i would also start our 1s on the OL and try and get them more reps together)  but lets see what the kid looks like against better competition.  Maybe he gets overwhelmed... maybe he surprises,  either way it wouldnt hurt a thing IMO and like I said in another thread,  if Cousins goes down, we are likely done anyway so get the kid in there.  I dont see Simien as even a game manager the way he has looked thus far.
Ah, was wondering.  I too wouldn't mind seeing him against the 2s.  But I am sure the coaches have a plan and know a hell of a lot more than me.

As to Simien, would be nice to see him play better.   But IIRC, Case looked pretty bad last year in the preseason as well, didn't he?  I remember thinking the weak beer guy was going to take the #2 spot.

Zim is right that Sloter makes plays. He is wrong if he thinks it is obvious that Siemian should be the number 2. Sloter plays against whomever lines up against him. He can't control that. And he plays with whomever lines up with him.  He outplayed Siemain last preseason and got cut.  He has outplayed him this preseason and is still sitting behind him. I guess that's life in the NFL when you go undrafted.

@"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I agree Simien does nothing for me. He might be too broken at this point. What good is experience if it was bad experiences. I see in Trevor a guy afraid to make plays. Maybe Sloter would be to reckless for Zimmer's taste. I would rather have a guy trying to make a play then a guy afraid of the outcome before he releases it.

I'll say one thing--that TD Sloter threw to Beebe at the end of the Seattle game sure didn't look third string to me.

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
I'll say one thing--that TD Sloter threw to Beebe at the end of the Seattle game sure didn't look third string to me.
That was a helluva pass. To update one of my previous posts...

So far in the NFL (granted, all preseason games), Kyle Sloter is 51-of-69 for 567 yards, 7 TDs and 0 INTs.

In terms of mobility, arm strength and maybe even accuracy, Sloter is a better QB than Siemian. But the decision on who should be our #2 comes down to more than just great passes. It's likely more about understanding the offense's big picture, progressions, pre-snap reads, recognizing disguises, etc. Sometimes a great pass for a touchdown comes as the result of a missed read or mistake that we're not even aware of.  

Even coaches sometimes forget that forests are made up of individual trees---sloter might not see the whole big pic of running an nfl offense but he's not dead wood like the other guy holding a clipboard.  Doesn't matter if seimian understands the big pic, he can't execute it to be a viable option if KC goes down.  Just like shaun hill was nothing more than a camp arm pressed into duty for years as a backup. 

I think when Zim said he was clearly a number 2 he meant he plays like sheet