Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keep Beebe say good bye Sherrals
Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
I don't think we keep Beebe. 
Why?

How do you see the WR depth shaking out by game 1?

Got to be careful about gutting the coverage units, IMO. Kearse, Sherels and Brothers are key members of both groups, which haven't exactly shined this preseason but certainly weren't a major weakness last year.

I'm all for keeping young guys with huge upside, bit only if they're already showing on Special Teams.

Brothers is out 4 games. Cut Marcus and Jayron and now you've got a bunch of really green guys that could really hurt that how that Unit plays.

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
I don't think we keep Beebe. 
That's my feeling also, despite the local beat writer's love. 

He makes plays, that's for sure (at least against the 2nd and 3rd stringers).  But he's SO small (5'9", 165) and slow (4.6 40-time) that I have a hard time really seeing him succeed in the NFL.

Although he is still faster than Treadwell lol.

And now that I look it up, Beebe's measurements are actually very similar to Wes Welker's.  So maybe the kid has a chance afterall.

Quote: @"SFVikingFan" said:
He makes plays, that's for sure (at least against the 2nd and 3rd stringers).  But he's SO small (5'9", 165) and slow (4.6 40-time) that I have a hard time really seeing him succeed in the NFL.

Although he is still faster than Treadwell lol.

And now that I look it up, Beebe's measurements are actually very similar to Wes Welker's.  So maybe the kid has a chance afterall.
I was just about to mention Welker until I read your last line. He's got a real chance. May not happen this year, but he's got nice, quick feet, can separate a bit, has good hands, and can contribute on special teams. If you consider Diggs, Thielen and Treadwell as locks, there are probably 2 or 3 slots open between Wright, Coley, Zylstra and Beebe. Certainly no one on that list who is clearly above him. 

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
Got to be careful about gutting the coverage units, IMO. Kearse, Sherels and Brothers are key members of both groups, which haven't exactly shined this preseason but certainly weren't a major weakness last year.

I'm all for keeping young guys with huge upside, bit only if they're already showing on Special Teams.

Brothers is out 4 games. Cut Marcus and Jayron and now you've got a bunch of really green guys that could really hurt that how that Unit plays.
I think they should keep Kearse and carry 5 safeties.  Iloka can displace a LB and with him in the mix at S then we can use Sendejo on coverage units ( where he made his bones)  with Kearse and Harris.  I also think our athletic reserve DEs (Weatherly and Bower) should be able to play on coverage units in place of LBs.

Watch us release him and the Packers pick him up. His dad played some of his career at GB, and they certainly could use some receivers. Can you imagine having to defend this kid with Rodgers on a broken play? He has shown enough moxie in preseason that someone will pick him up, I just hope it's not in our division. 

How many WR's do we usually keep, six?

Diggs, Theilan, Tread

I like Coley and Zylstra when healthy for 4 and 5.

Then it comes down to keeping a vet (Wright) vs a rookie (Beebe).  They both play the slot.  Beebe looks to be a good ST.  That said I think we stick with Wright even though I have seen so little from him but I have no idea how he has looked during camp and the coaches do.  I also think we can get Beebe to our PS...he has looked good but with 3rd teamers...not sure how he would look vs starting CB's.  

Lastly, we have Hughes to return punts behind Sherels.  

If this team was in rebuild mode, I would take the young guys like Beebe.  But we are not, we are in Championship mode, and I think reliable veterans like Sherels stay. 

I am not so sure about veterans like Newman and even Robison just because we are so loaded at CB and DE.