Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New safety George Iloka is the piece the Vikings’ defense needed
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Iloka is highly unlikely to start over Andrew Sendejo, who is coming off a solid 2017 season, but his presence give the Vikings an opportunity to offer looks they have not given opponents during the Zimmer era.
One of those options is to move All-Pro Harrison Smith into a linebacker spot during certain situations and use Iloka and Sendejo as the two safeties. With a reliable over-the-top safety, Smith could be used to thwart opponents usage of fullbacks or extra tight ends rather than sticking with a traditional 4-3 package.
Smith has proven to be exceptionally good at shifting spots when called upon. Per PFF, he played 577 snaps as a safety, 277 snaps at linebacker, 153 at slot corner, 112 off the edge and 34 as an outside corner.
“I think it will help some of the other packages we have,” Zimmer said.
Iloka said he understands the reality of his situation, but wanted to land in a spot that would give him an opportunity to contribute.
"Highly unlikely"??? Who is writing this - Mrs. Sendejo?? Sure, the coaches and team management and even Iloka himself are all being good sports and saying "team first" things, but Sendejo and Gedeon were the weakest parts of our defense. Two years ago, Zimmer wanted Iloka badly and settled for Sendejo when it became clear the Bengals would retain Iloka. 

Iloka will be starting next to Smith in week 1, and Sendejo will be on another team or the bench.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Iloka is highly unlikely to start over Andrew Sendejo, who is coming off a solid 2017 season, but his presence give the Vikings an opportunity to offer looks they have not given opponents during the Zimmer era.
One of those options is to move All-Pro Harrison Smith into a linebacker spot during certain situations and use Iloka and Sendejo as the two safeties. With a reliable over-the-top safety, Smith could be used to thwart opponents usage of fullbacks or extra tight ends rather than sticking with a traditional 4-3 package.
Smith has proven to be exceptionally good at shifting spots when called upon. Per PFF, he played 577 snaps as a safety, 277 snaps at linebacker, 153 at slot corner, 112 off the edge and 34 as an outside corner.
Iloka said he understands the reality of his situation, but wanted to land in a spot that would give him an opportunity to contribute.
"Highly unlikely"??? Who is writing this - Mrs. Sendejo?? Sure, the coaches and team management and even Iloka himself are all being good sports and saying "team first" things, but Sendejo and Gedeon were the weakest parts of our defense. Two years ago, Zimmer wanted Iloka badly and settled for Sendejo when it became clear the Bengals would retain Iloka. 

Iloka will be starting next to Smith in week 1, and Sendejo will be on another team or the bench.

Agreed...That first line was a "hard stop" for me too. 

Zim is saying and doing all the right things regarding Sendejo now. But I think most would argue Dejo will be bench strength, situational or traded. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Agreed...That first line was a "hard stop" for me too. 

Zim is saying and doing all the right things regarding Sendejo now. But I think most would argue Dejo will be bench strength, situational or traded. 
Zim:  Sendejo you are starting this... George, how is the playbook coming along?

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Pretty obvious to see how a 6'4" safety will help in redzone defense. 
I agree, Zim’s counter To Jimmy Graham.

I think folks are overrating George Iloka a little bit. Good, still young player with experience in Zim's defense. He's going to help us a LOT. But it sounds like many think he's some kind of All Pro. He's not. A few in Cincy were convinced even if he stayed he could lose his starting job to Jessie Bates. Right now I'd say we have the best backup safety in the NFL. And whether that translates to scheme flexibility or transaction flexibility remains to be seen. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I think folks are overrating George Iloka a little bit. Good, still young player with experience in Zim's defense. He's going to help us a LOT. But it sounds like many think he's some kind of All Pro. He's not. A few in Cincy were convinced even if he stayed he could lose his starting job to Jessie Bates. Right now I'd say we have the best backup safety in the NFL. And whether that translates to scheme flexibility or transaction flexibility remains to be seen. 
Na,  you can hear the schematic wheels turning in Zim’s head as we speak...  B)
now as far as transactional flexibility, that is curious to me.

“He’s a big, imposing, physical safety who has got great coverage skills,” Newman said of the 6-foot-4 Iloka. “Smart guy, tough, hard-nosed, hard worker … he’s going to be a great addition.”

I bet most people here haven't watched much of Iloka, including me to truly know if he is an upgrade.  My impression of him from what I have seen is good so I am definitely excited to see how he plays with our D.  If he is a better coverage safety than Sendejo, I'm all for him starting.  Sendejo was absolutely terrible until last year.  Although I thought he played much better last year, he was still a weak spot in coverage for the most part, although I love his physical play.  Getting him for the vet minimum... brilliant. 

Quote: @"NorthwestNorseman" said:
I bet most people here haven't watched much of Iloka, including me to truly know if he is an upgrade.  My impression of him from what I have seen is good so I am definitely excited to see how he plays with our D.  If he is a better coverage safety than Sendejo, I'm all for him starting.  Sendejo was absolutely terrible until last year.  Although I thought he played much better last year, he was still a weak spot in coverage for the most part, although I love his physical play.  Getting him for the vet minimum... brilliant. 
I think last years marked improvement is partially a factor of improved pay from X  and Trey.  There were less opportunities for him to have to play clean up for CB short comings.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
The best? Well, I think you are overrating Sendejo a bit! But Andrew will be the highest-paid backup safety...

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
The best? Well, I think you are overrating Sendejo a bit! But Andrew will be the highest-paid backup safety...
Very possible it ends up that way. But I wouldn't say it's likely. Sendejo is considered a better safety in NFL circles than he is among Viking fans. For example, PFF ranked Iloka 40th among NFL safeties last season, while Sendejo ranked 11th.