Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New safety George Iloka is the piece the Vikings’ defense needed
One of the reasons Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer has thrived in the NFL into his 60s is his ability to adapt.
While his defense was No. 1 in points and yards last season, there are still tweaks that can be made to remain at the top. By adding veteran safety George Iloka on Wednesday, Zimmer helped his cause at becoming a deeper and more versatile defense.
“Most of these guys, we have some big guys in there, so we can use them in different ways, even on the goal line because we’re using bigger guys down there,” Zimmer said. “Honestly we’re just trying to add good football players and it will all sort out at the end.”
Iloka has been a reliable player for the Cincinnati Bengals, starting 76 games since being drafted in 2012. An article detailing his skills by Pro Football Focus: noted, “he’s surrendered fewer touchdowns (seven) into his coverage than he has interceptions (nine), and passers earned only a 68.4 rating throwing at him a season ago” while playing around 60 percent of his snaps at deep safety.
“I’m comfortable with whatever they ask me to do,” Iloka said. “I feel I’m very knowledgable, I’m very versatile, however they plan to use me, I just want to play well for them.”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...se-needed/

Iloka is highly unlikely to start over Andrew Sendejo, who is coming off a solid 2017 season, but his presence give the Vikings an opportunity to offer looks they have not given opponents during the Zimmer era.
One of those options is to move All-Pro Harrison Smith into a linebacker spot during certain situations and use Iloka and Sendejo as the two safeties. With a reliable over-the-top safety, Smith could be used to thwart opponents usage of fullbacks or extra tight ends rather than sticking with a traditional 4-3 package.
Smith has proven to be exceptionally good at shifting spots when called upon. Per PFF, he played 577 snaps as a safety, 277 snaps at linebacker, 153 at slot corner, 112 off the edge and 34 as an outside corner.
“I think it will help some of the other packages we have,” Zimmer said.
Iloka said he understands the reality of his situation, but wanted to land in a spot that would give him an opportunity to contribute.

Part of being a great defense is constantly adapting and giving teams new looks to contend with. In Zimmer's first three years, we've seen double A gap blitzes, overload blitzes, and even lining up Robison at LB over the A-gap. The Vikings have also been linked to hybrid S/LBers in the past, though that's never worked out.

A lot of teams are running big nickel packages at the moment as it's a good way to counter teams who pair spreading the field with power running. Hard to say if Iloka is used in that role or if someone like Sendejo or Kearse gets those snaps. We also may not even go down that road, but I expect Zimmer to unveil some sort of new defensive wrinkle this year.

Edit: I haven't been able to read up on training camp as much this year, but I haven't seen any obvious wrinkles during the preseason. Are there any new looks or twists on concepts that they seem to be showing so far?

Pretty obvious to see how a 6'4" safety will help in redzone defense. 

There was weaknesses even on our defense.  We had trouble covering backs and TE's in the middle of the fields. I would scream at the screen when a team would pick up on this and start exploiting it. Having good centerfielders that we can move and interchange will make this defense even better.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
There was weaknesses even on our defense.  We had trouble covering backs and TE's in the middle of the fields. I would scream at the screen when a team would pick up on this and start exploiting it. Having good centerfielders that we can move and interchange will make this defense even better.
I think that was more a function of crowding the line of scrimmage with rushers (i.e. double a gap etc.) than it was personnel. 

If we can get great pressure with front 4 most of the time? More than last year?  That's a brutally difficult D to win against. 

Again, I go back to Sheldon Richardson...If that man comes to play ball? Look out. 

Jimmy Graham, meet George Iloka

i know Rodgers is great and all, but if you think that Adams will get the best of Rhodes, that Cobb is better Waynes or can beat Hughes often, the Packers beat up OL can stop some of the baddest DL on the planet and somehow Harry and Barr won’t show up you are INSANE.

Throw in their brand new defensive scheme, rookie CB’s covering the best route running pair in the NFL and the return of a dangerous running back, yikes

We are going into LamBLOW week 2, taking all their emotion, all their feeligns, and bullshit and walking out with a victory!  

reinforcing that this is our division and outside of a complete health massace of 16, we own this division, period

Quote: @Skodin said:

i know Rodgers is great and all, but if you think that Adams will get the best of Rhodes, that Cobb is better Waynes or can beat Hughes often, the Packers beat up OL can stop some of the baddest DL on the planet and somehow Harry and Barr won’t show up you are INSANE.

Throw in their brand new defensive scheme, rookie CB’s covering the best route running pair in the NFL and the return of a dangerous running back, yikes

We are going into LamBLOW week 2, taking all their emotion, all their feeligns, and bullshit and walking out with a victory!  

reinforcing that this is our division and outside of a complete health massace of 16, we own this division, period
I would love a statement game Game 2 at Lamblow...Pound em. 

They'll just be coming off of (likely) a home opener win vs Bears.  Vikings game will be Rogers return game against what has become a nemesis for him - a Zimmer team. One that ended his season. 

I just want us coming off a home win vs 49'ers first. Unfortunately history says we typically split with the Pack. But every year is a new one too. 

Quote: @Skodin said:

Iioka just made the rich richer for sure. Not sure teams will be able to pass on us at all. I know we had some issues with TEs last year but I don't see that happening this year.
The Packers get Jimmy and we get Iioka. = Check Mate

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Skodin said:

I would love a statement game Game 2 at Lamblow...Pound em. 

Rogers return game against what has become a nemesis for him - a Zimmer team. One that ended his season. 

I just want us coming off a home win vs 49'ers first. Unfortunately history says we typically split with the Pack. But every year is a new one too. 

You think the media will notice this? Even better if we pound'em. Otherwise it will be a long week of nauseating chatter after.