Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Britain Banning Gasoline & Diesel Cars starting 2040...
Just a question from the other point of view.   With all the oil in the planet's core, and no matter how much we keep hearing that it is going to run out, it doesn't seem like it is.... so what damage to the Planet will all that oil cause?  can you imagine if a volcano erupted nearby?? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Vanguard83 said:
Gee....if all countries did this won't that completely emasculate middle eastern influence on the Western world??

I'm down.
That's the idea. I'm just sad that, in my 50s, I may not be around to enjoy this brave new world without fossil fuels, self-driving cars, hover crafts, and underground trains that go from New York to LA in about an hour...not to mention VR and AI. Can't wait to get my fancy new AI maid/chef/mistress. :-)

I think people in their 50s have been thinking that stuff was going to be just out of their lifetime by about 50 to 60 years.  I have serious doubts about how close all that is everytime I see new infrastructure projects following the same old systems.  roads designed to handle more cars and trucks,  bigger and bigger airplanes,  etc.

I think France may have followed GB already and Germany is consider it as well...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I think France may have followed GB already and Germany is consider it as well...
maybe thats not so much about saving the planet as it is about them not having oil of their own.  those countries are much more dependent on foreign oil than much of the rest of the world.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
maybe thats not so much about saving the planet as it is about them not having oil of their own.  those countries are much more dependent on foreign oil than much of the rest of the oil.
Poor blokes have to drive diesel cars too...

Honestly as I contemplate this this is just another gutless meaningless proposal by politicians to make themselves look good to the sheep.  If they did literally nothing about this don't you think the market itself would dictate a movement away from fossil fuels?  In 23 years the auto industry will drastically change as the battery tech (which is really the only thing holding this back) gets better and the price of hybrids and electric vehicles come down.  Just more foolish grandstanding for a problem that will fix itself and honestly punish the poor who cannot afford the newer cars.  Just dumb we don't need government to fix a problem that will fix itself of course these laws will also impose huge new taxes to help with the transition.

My take on the matter is that the key
members in governments around the world know that there will be a
disclosure/implementation of some of the hidden black ops projects, free energy
being one of them.

I think this is all posturing of people who want to look
like good people, prior to when the disclosure happens.  I also think that in the short term, it
appears that the US (and Russia) is pulling away from the various globalist
agendas, so not being dependent on a resource that we dominate is appealing to
them.

Somewhere I read a Toyota Prius and Nissan Leaf have a bigger carbon footprint than a Chevy Suburban.  This seems like politics to me.  I hope they get the grifters and political animals out of the equation and let real scientists make a determination if this is the way to go.

But not our country, not our concern.  I'm sure Ford and Chevy will sell them as many battery cars as they want.

Quote: @Vikes45 said:
Somewhere I read a Toyota Prius and Nissan Leaf have a bigger carbon footprint than a Chevy Suburban.  This seems like politics to me.  I hope they get the grifters and political animals out of the equation and let real scientists make a determination if this is the way to go.

But not our country, not our concern.  I'm sure Ford and Chevy will sell them as many battery cars as they want.
It has to do with the battery technology and disposal.  The time will come for the ecars,  they just need time like gas and diesel have had to evolve.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Vikes45 said:

It has to do with the battery technology and disposal.  The time will come for the ecars,  they just need time like gas and diesel have had to evolve.
1870 - the first gas powered internal combustion engine was built.  1886 - Henry Ford builds his first automobile.  1913 - Ford ups his production from 7.5 cars per hour to 146 per hour.  Starting the auto revolution. 

That's just 16 years from power source to actual usage.  And 43 years before market takeover. 

Electric cars have been around since the beginning of the auto industry.  1890 a guy in Des Moines is credited for "first electric car in the US" when he basically used batteries to power a wagon.  14mph top speed.  By 1900 around a third of all autos on the road were electric. 

My point?  I think electric cars have had plenty of time to evolve and batteries are extremely limited to what they can do.  And while yes there has been advancements... it is definitely A LOT slower process.  In the meantime...  People will need to change their expectations on what they use their vehicles for.  Cold temps?  Major weather issues, Hurricanes, tornadoes and flood can all knock out power for days or sometimes even weeks.  Blackouts that just "happen"... normally they don't last that long but with more and more attacks coming our power grid is extremely vulnerable.  Do they really want to be out of vehicle during those times?   

I'm not against electric vehicles, but they are a long ways away from being an answer for people not in "cities".  I get that people who have never seen wide open spaces think anyone can live with a 40 mile travel range but it's just not the case.  It's going to take years for electric trucks to deliver the power and endurance needed to replace a gas truck.  I drive 500 miles every Monday on my in state route, and over 1,000 miles on out of state routes.  Not to mention this electric engine would have to power the Thermo King unit to keep the cargo chilled.   A hybrid will have to be used and I'm sure I'll never see a true electric truck that can cover that distance in my lifetime in the time I currently do.  It takes five minutes to fill the tank,... I haven't seen a true electric car that doesn't taking hours to charge.

True electric vehicle take over cannot happen if current standards are used.  Time, weather, weight are just too much to overcome with current and in the pipeline tech.  It will take a major break thru or like I said, a change in expectations, for it to happen here in the good ol' USA.