Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Britain Banning Gasoline & Diesel Cars starting 2040...
First a mfgr in Volvo declares, now an entire nation...

Hey, I am as much as anyone an advocate for a healthier planet tomorrow. I just hope everyone has a plan for all those dead batteries that'll be lying around. And figures out how much coal and fossil fuels it'll take to power those ev vehicles. 

Put me smack in the wind and hydrogen power camps...

Britain will ban sales of new gasoline and diesel cars starting in 2040 as part of a bid to clean up the country's air.
The decision to phase out the internal combustion engine heralds a new era of low-emission technologies with major implications for the auto industry, society and the environment. "We can't carry on with diesel and petrol cars," U.K. environment secretary Michael Gove told the BBC on Wednesday. "There is no alternative to embracing new technology." 
Almost 2.7 million new cars were registered in the U.K. in 2016, making it the second biggest market in Europe after Germany. 
Meeting the 2040 deadline will be a heavy lift. British demand for electric and fuel cell cars, as well as plug-in hybrids, grew 40% in 2015, but they only accounted for less than 3% of the market. 
Still, experts say sales of clean cars are likely to continue on their dramatic upward trajectory. 
http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/26/news/uk-...index.html

It's great to see the world move forward. And yes the dead batteries are definitely an important point to consider.

I was/am a big fan of Hydrogen power too.  It seems to have lost some of it's "juice" lately though.  Not a fan of landfills full of batteries.  Hydrogen seemed like the way to go.  I'll have to read up on what it slowed down. 

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
I was/am a big fan of Hydrogen power too.  It seems to have lost some of it's "juice" lately though.  Not a fan of landfills full of batteries.  Hydrogen seemed like the way to go.  I'll have to read up on what it slowed down. 
At one point BMW was going heavy into Hydrogen development. Honda and Toyota are both offering "lease only" hydrogen vehicles in SoCal right now. 

first-came-the-hydrogen-cars-now-the-refilling-stations.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/...rison-test

This was WAYYYYY back in 2002.  I was hooked....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Hy-wire

I was REALLY interested in switching out body's too....

Gee....if all countries did this won't that completely emasculate middle eastern influence on the Western world??

I'm down.

screw wind power,  ugly fucking monstrosities that ruin a horizon.  not sure why they dont plant those fucking things closer to the people that they benefit. Confused

I have a question about wind and hydro power. It converts the kinetic energic of a fluid in motion (air or water) into electricity. If it catches on, couldn't it drastically alter the weather? I'm sure the quick, glib answer is, "well, it is better than fossil fuels, har har har."

But, I am curious... has anyone here looked into this?

Quote: @Max said:
I have a question about wind and hydro power. It converts the kinetic energic of a fluid in motion (air or water) into electricity. If it catches on, couldn't it drastically alter the weather? I'm sure the quick, glib answer is, "well, it is better than fossil fuels, har har har."

But, I am curious... has anyone here looked into this?
There are a lot of man made things that I wonder if they don't play into our weather and climate changes besides burning dinosaur decay.

Irrigation- urban areas-  farm tiling- among other things.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Gee....if all countries did this won't that completely emasculate middle eastern influence on the Western world??

I'm down.
That's the idea. I'm just sad that, in my 50s, I may not be around to enjoy this brave new world without fossil fuels, self-driving cars, hover crafts, and underground trains that go from New York to LA in about an hour...not to mention VR and AI. Can't wait to get my fancy new AI maid/chef/mistress. :-)