Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: Elflein to come off PUP possibly as soon as Monday
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
Well that's a relief. Now let's see if that Edison kid can play guard.  
Might be sacrilege for me to say it, but what about Edison @ C and Elf @ G????
I'd consider it. I think everything should be on the table. If the best five includes Edison, then so be it. I also keep going back to the fact that Elf graded out higher at guard than he did center at OSU. And he actually said he preferred playing guard. So there is that. I just don't know how legit this Edison is. It's too early to say. 
Sure I would consider it, but IMO it is unlikely.  Elf was the MVP of our line last year at center.  We need that back.  Edison making calls in the preseason against vanilla is much different than during the regular season against legit defenses.  Glad he is getting some reps with Easton out.  That makes him a valuable backup.

I think our starters are Reiff, Isadora, Elf, Remmers and Hill. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
I'd consider it. I think everything should be on the table. If the best five includes Edison, then so be it. I also keep going back to the fact that Elf graded out higher at guard than he did center at OSU. And he actually said he preferred playing guard. So there is that. I just don't know how legit this Edison is. It's too early to say. 
Sure I would consider it, but IMO it is unlikely.  Elf was the MVP of our line last year at center.  We need that back.  Edison making calls in the preseason against vanilla is much different than during the regular season against legit defenses.  Glad he is getting some reps with Easton out.  That makes him a valuable backup.

I think our starters are Reiff, Isadora, Elf, Remmers and Hill. 
Hill needs to figure out how to stay on the field.

Best news  I have  heard all week

I don’t know why the lack of trust in Compton. Dude is a vet with starting experience, who performed well last year in Chicago (maybe their best OL, 11 games played with a rookie QB : 1 penalty, 2 sacks) and started on the Falcons Super Bowl OL protecting Matt Ryan, and has a great chemistry with Kirk.  If he’s not the starting LG, it’s because Isodora has played very well and should start.  

i know losing Easton sucked, but this OL has depth.  Right now you have 3 young guys battling with Compton and Remmers for the starting G spots.  Collins and Remmers both have flexibility to move to T.  Hill is a good back up LT, solid at RT.  ONeill has the tools and I bet pushes for a starting spot.

Reiff and Elf are locked in.  Then you have G’s in Compton, Isodora, Edison (potentially), G/T in Remmers and Collins and T’s with Hill and ONeill.  Out of that 9 you have a good mix of vets and a ton of young guys with upside.  I think people will be surprised on how well this line is going to play this year.

My starting 5: Reiff-Compton-Elf-Remmers-ONeill 
First G off the bench, Isodora
Backup T, Hill
Collins is used in funky heavy packages 

Quote: @Skodin said:
I don’t know why the lack of trust in Compton. Dude is a vet with starting experience, who performed well last year in Chicago (maybe their best OL, 11 games played with a rookie QB : 1 penalty, 2 sacks) and started on the Falcons Super Bowl OL protecting Matt Ryan, and has a great chemistry with Kirk.  If he’s not the starting LG, it’s because Isodora has played very well and should start.  

i know losing Easton sucked, but this OL has depth.  Right now you have 3 young guys battling with Compton and Remmers for the starting G spots.  Collins and Remmers both have flexibility to move to T.  Hill is a good back up LT, solid at RT.  ONeill has the tools and I bet pushes for a starting spot.

Reiff and Elf are locked in.  Then you have G’s in Compton, Isodora, Edison (potentially), G/T in Remmers and Collins and T’s with Hill and ONeill.  Out of that 9 you have a good mix of vets and a ton of young guys with upside.  I think people will be surprised on how well this line is going to play this year.

My starting 5: Reiff-Compton-Elf-Remmers-ONeill 
First G off the bench, Isodora
Backup T, Hill
Collins is used in funky heavy packages 
I agree that the potential for a solid OL is there even without Easton, and that Compton isn't a bad option. But what I saw on Saturday (after rewinding each play in the first half 5 times to watch each lineman) was a guy who was OK in pass protection, had nice feet and movement skills, but struggled with moving defenders off the ball, IOW, strength issues. The difference in strength between him and, say, Isadora was remarkable. 

That said, you need more than part of a half of one preseason game to get an accurate picture. What's more, I suspect that while the preseason is more about imposing your will in very simple blocking schemes, the regular season offense will be built more on movement and misdirection, something that he may be very well suited for. 

It's not "breaking."

It's healing.

I'd really like to see Collins win the LG spot...Compton is fine, but I think Collins could be really good...too bad he didn't get G reps last year...

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
No.  Elf was damn near special at C last year but I don't know that he would be as good at a G position .  He could likely play it but wouldn't be as at high level as he is at Center
Elf was special so don't move IMO.  Also Edison was OK the first preseason game nothing special - again my opinion.  

I think the most encouraging thing for me is our depth. It seems like it’s been a long time since we had multiple guys fighting to take over a spot. Always seemed like we were plugging in a body but now we have some kids with some serious potential (my opinion anyway). I like Elf at C or G. He’s just a good player. Although, last year it did seem like our line is at its peak cohesive unit with Elf at Center.

Either way, I don’t think I could be happier with our options to see who’s going to step up and earn a starting position.

I think O'Neill could be starting at RT before the end of the season....he's learning and improving quicker than anticipated with the reps.