Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trade?????
Quote: @kahsmick said:
I can't think of a single team who has an Olineman to spare.  Oakland? Dallas? Philly? Nope.  

But what else could they possibly have in mind?

Its gotta be an aging vet on a rebuilding team...

Or PA is just taking a piss.
Nobody said it was going to be starter material.  I heard the comment this morning and I was thinking he was hinting at something with the jags as they were talking about the two teams getting to really look at each other's players.

When I think of trading away someone, I think of guys who don't overly contribute who have acceptable contracts or potential... If the player we trade away is a contributor, it needs to be at a position where their role can be filled. Basically where we have depth to justify.

For the former, Kyle Sloter comes to mind. Promising QB, young, affordable... add in a couple competing teams and you might end up with an offer that is too good to pass up on. 

For the latter, I can't help but single out the DB positions. It's not simply just the emergence of Mike Hughes but the emergence of a lot of fundamentally sounds DBs from nowhere. Granted it was preseason week 1; our defensive backfield looked like a Mike Zimmer machine late into the 4th quarter. I barely had a clue who any of those players were, but damn if I couldn't tell that was a Mike Zimmer unit. I sometimes think he could fill an entire squad with hand selected UDFAs and give a team full of draft picks hell...

... I'd consider Trae Waynes if another team is offering fair compensation. He's someone i'd expect to be worth more to other teams, and I think we'd be able to fill his currently established role just fine with guys we have.

Anthony Barr is a name i heard out there. I can't imagine who would fill his role. I can't imagine there isn't already a big plan for him in the works through OTAs and camp. Unless we're talking a LB for a LB straight up*, I feel like there would have to be a major adjustment to the defense in order to compensate for Barr's absence. (*with the Jags connection, would anyone be comfortable with something like Myles Jack for Barr? eh...)

Could a combination of Parry and Richardson make Linval expendable? (he's my "leader of the defense," hard to really imagine that...) 

I think the most tradeable players on the Vikings are Treadwell, Forbath, and Alexander. Tready and Alexander are mid-to-late round values IMO. Forbath of course is a late round value only and it's awfully early for anyone to be giving up on a kicker! 

But if it's a BIG trade, we're talking Barr or Waynes. Big trades are so rare, so I doubt that happens. Both players would draw a huge return, but sure would make Breezy's job easier. 

So what's it for? Cap help and a draft pick? Or OL help? Maybe Zim finally watched the film of Compton getting stood up on most running plays? Maybe Elflein is longer out than we thought? Maybe PA started sniffing glue again. 

How about La'el Collins?  Not advocating but looking across the league it might make sense for both teams.

As for LB depth I wouldn't be opposed to Barr being moved, Wilson looks good and fast and I think Gedeon could very much hold down the 2 down MLB spot IMO.

I prefer they keep everyone but reality is the cap is a major factor going forward when trying to keep all these young guys.  They need to capitalize on any talent they have rather than letting guys walk and hope Roger Dodgers secret formula goes their way with comp picks. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think the most tradeable players on the Vikings are Treadwell, Forbath, and Alexander. Tready and Alexander are mid-to-late round values IMO. Forbath of course is a late round value only and it's awfully early for anyone to be giving up on a kicker! 

But if it's a BIG trade, we're talking Barr or Waynes. Big trades are so rare, so I doubt that happens. Both players would draw a huge return, but sure would make Breezy's job easier. 

So what's it for? Cap help and a draft pick? Or OL help? Maybe Zim finally watched the film of Compton getting stood up on most running plays? Maybe Elflein is longer out than we thought? Maybe PA started sniffing glue again. 
No one is giving us a mid round pick or heck any pick for Treadwell.  Alexander.. maybe you'd get a 5th or 6th at best.  Forbath either makes the team or gets cut so no reason to trade for him.   Barr - it's obvious to me what Zimmer was responding too in his weird Barr trade rumor denial presser - it wasn't a rumor "out there", it was someone in the building floating the idea, probably because Barr and his agent want way more dough than the Vikings think he's worth.   Zimmer got pissed when he found out which is why he was so out of character at that moment.

That leaves Waynes, the most obvious tradebait on the team.   He could probably fetch a 3rd round pick from some team or if the Spielman really gets busy working his magic on some sucker g.m., a 2nd.   He will be making a big salary on the 5yo in 2019 and dumping it would help free up money for Barr if that's what they really are going to do.   

Quote: @comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:

No one is giving us a mid round pick or heck any pick for Treadwell.  Alexander.. maybe you'd get a 5th or 6th at best.  Forbath either makes the team or gets cut so no reason to trade for him.   Barr - it's obvious to me what Zimmer was responding too in his weird Barr trade rumor denial presser - it wasn't a rumor "out there", it was someone in the building floating the idea, probably because Barr and his agent want way more dough than the Vikings think he's worth.   Zimmer got pissed when he found out which is why he was so out of character at that moment.

That leaves Waynes, the most obvious tradebait on the team.   He could probably fetch a 3rd round pick from some team or if the Spielman really gets busy working his magic on some sucker g.m., a 2nd.   He will be making a big salary on the 5yo in 2019 and dumping it would help free up money for Barr if that's what they really are going to do.   
Some of you guys seriously undervalue Waynes.  A third rounder for a starting corner on the #1 defense in the league?  The ONLY reason to entertain trading Waynes is the possibilty they will not be able to afford him when his time comes.  But to trade him for a third rounder is basically the same you’d get if he’s signed away as a free agent.  Makes zero sense.

I don’t understand why Waynes isn’t appreciated more.  He’s a good player.  Good at covering, good at tackling.  He gets interceptions.  

If a starting corner goes down  for a  contending team  Waynes could  bring a 1 I think Waynes is a really good  player and ascending just think  we can't afford him  in the future

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:

Some of you guys seriously undervalue Waynes.  A third rounder for a starting corner on the #1 defense in the league?  The ONLY reason to entertain trading Waynes is the possibilty they will not be able to afford him when his time comes.  But to trade him for a third rounder is basically the same you’d get if he’s signed away as a free agent.  Makes zero sense.

I don’t understand why Waynes isn’t appreciated more.  He’s a good player.  Good at covering, good at tackling.  He gets interceptions.  

Yeah, I don't get it either.  I've heard/read from a few knowledgeable football people that he had a stretch later in the season where he outplayed Rhodes.  Waynes has developed into a good CB and is now entering his 4th season, which coincidentally is when Rhodes finally became a shutdown CB.
He could easily fetch a 1st round pick...  especially when he is still under team control for this season and next season at a very reasonable price for a good CB.  The bigger question is...  why would we trade him?  I guess I can understand the cap relief argument...  but then the second question is...  why would we accept anything less than a 1st round pick if we trade him this year?  The Vikings aren't up against the cap this season and you don't move your starting CB on a team that has Super Bowl aspirations unless you can get something very valuable in return.

I'm going to make a guess that as it stands, right now, the Vikings are ok with their O-line if it means everyone comes back (Elflein, Remmers) and they are just replacing Easton. If another injury happens, all bets are off for a possible trade. 

I don't think Zim would want anyone gone from this defense; at least not this year.  Injuries happen all season long, and we'll use all the DBs and LBers currently on the roster.  I think PA's trade talk is total speculation without any real proof or credible sources backing it up.