Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Word Association round seven
GetoutofboundsfutureMDmyass!

2 words - undeserved hatred.
Everyone focuses on the running out of bounds and forgets that Hoard was out injured and Smith had already left his lunch on the field.  He should have been subbed out, but there wasn't anyone who could have come in. I can't fault him for avoiding hits at that point.

Quote: @"Sco?og" said:
Everyone focuses on the running out of bounds and forgets that Hoard was out injured and Smith had already left his lunch on the field.  He should have been subbed out, but there wasn't anyone who could have come in. I can't fault him for avoiding hits at that point.
You can go down IN BOUNDS BY "giving yourself up" without getting a massive hit. Running out of bounds to stop the clock for Atlanta was the second worst thing he could have done. Fumbling was number 1. It would have been very easy for him to simply go down after a few yards without incurring a big hit. Absolutely NO excuse for him to not understand the game situation even if the coaches didn't instruct him specifically. He was what, a 5 or 6 year pro at the time? You learn the whole "running the clock out" thingy in junior high. 

Well, Smith hurt a ton but so did Steussie getting beat before the 1/2, Randall pissing down his own leg the second 1/2, Cunningham badly over-throwing a wide open Moss for a td in OT, Anderson wide left and what about Robert Griffith dropping a sure interception in the end-zone too?

Ugh, nightmare of a perfect storm...

Was coached to "hit" or "get hit".

Situational football in a championship game, you're not the only one hurting, Lower the pads and dish it out.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Well, Smith hurt a ton but so did Steussie getting beat before the 1/2, Randall pissing down his own leg the second 1/2, Cunningham badly over-throwing a wide open Moss for a td in OT, Anderson wide left and what about Robert Griffith dropping a sure interception in the end-zone too?

Except for wide left, I think I've suppressed all of that. One of these days I'm going to have to actually sit down and watch that game. I was at the game and have never seen it on TV. 

Quote: @njvike said:
@"Sco?og" said:
You can go down IN BOUNDS BY "giving yourself up" without getting a massive hit. Running out of bounds to stop the clock for Atlanta was the second worst thing he could have done. Fumbling was number 1. It would have been very easy for him to simply go down after a few yards without incurring a big hit. Absolutely NO excuse for him to not understand the game situation even if the coaches didn't instruct him specifically. He was what, a 5 or 6 year pro at the time? You learn the whole "running the clock out" thingy in junior high. 
If he went down after a few yards, he wouldn't have gotten us into FG range for Anderson to be wide left.  He rushed for 44 yards all told on that last drive.  Asking him to give himself up in bounds with his speed is akin to asking Barr to have pulled up on Rodgers.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

Add in Cunningham fumbling before the half setting up an Atlanta TD.  And even after wide left, the Vikings were still up 7.  The loss is mostly on the defense.  They had one job: don't give up a TD.  They blew it.

And as for the word association: whoosh

Smooth

Robert is one of my favorite players of all time. He was so smooth, sometimes you didnt realize how fast he was.
’98 was 20 years ago, let it go. He was a great RB.