Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Owners Considering Penalizing 1st Amendment Rights
Teams could be assessed 15-yard penalties for players kneeling.

Wonder what the penalty will be for holding up a fist, hanging your head, turning your back, not coming out to the field, etc. etc. will be.  I guess they will have to write the rule so it encompasses any form of protest or demonstration.  Better bring in the lawyers.

Gotta do something to keep that sweet DoD money coming in.

Total non issue, wasnt till 2009 that the players had to come out of the locker room.  I'll take it seriously when they shut down the concession stands, empty  the bathrooms and wait for everyone to be at their seat before they start.

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
Total non issue, wasnt till 2009 that the players had to come out of the locker room.  I'll take it seriously when they shut down the concession stands, empty  the bathrooms and wait for everyone to be at their seat before they start.
A bit of a difference between employer/employee and business owner/customer....for the fan it most certainly is a first amendment right to be disrespectful.   For the record I have seen food vendors stop what they are doing and stand at attention for the anthem.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
A bit of a difference between employer/employee and business owner/customer....for the fan it most certainly is a first amendment right to be disrespectful.   For the record I have seen food vendors stop what they are doing and stand at attention for the anthem.
Amendment ICongress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

The first amendment applies to the government making a law or prosecuting you for your freedom of speech.  If they were chucking people in jail for kneeling, THEN we have a 1st amendment issue.  A private employer (NFL) is free and clear to tell you to shut up and fire your tail for violation of that policy.  The NFL by it's very nature and all team owners are incapable of violating anyone's 1st amendment because they do not have the power to make a law or imprison someone.

Quote: @Vikesrock said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Amendment ICongress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

The first amendment applies to the government making a law or prosecuting you for your freedom of speech.  If they were chucking people in jail for kneeling, THEN we have a 1st amendment issue.  A private employer (NFL) is free and clear to tell you to shut up and fire your tail for violation of that policy.  The NFL by it's very nature and all team owners are incapable of violating anyone's 1st amendment because they do not have the power to make a law or imprison someone.
exactly.
It is surprising that people are confused by this.  What are they teaching in civics class?

Quote: @Vikesrock said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Not anymore. When Trump opened his mouth and said owners should fire protesters, he made it a 1st amendment issue. Government cannot order private companies to fire people for speech. 

walmart doesnt let you wear a “fuck america” shirt while working. i see no problem with the nfl clamping down on this issue. 

It's sad it came to this. As BigAl stated. They used to keep the players in the locker room. Now of course to go back to that would be viewed by some owners as a falure to win this battle of wills. Horse is out of the stable now.
I think as Viking fans it is important to remember this fact. At the end of last year only 4 teams had no players kneel. The Vikes were one. Much has been made about Jerry's team, mostly by himself, that his team had no kneelers. Some need to thump their chest and make noise about how they do things the right way. Others just do it because it IS the right thing and expect no special treatment for doing right. I like that way better. SKOL!

It absolutely is a first amendment right and they will get sued to hell and back for it if they do it. I can’t support such an ifiotic move by the owners calling even more attention to this. 

This might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard the NFL do yet.