Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing Marcus Sherels was our biggest need???
Pretty short sighted to say all he will do is replace Sherels.  Sherels was never going to be a shutdown CB.  He could play the position and was good mentally, but severely lacking in the physical attributes. 

Hughes won't start at CB this year, but has potential next year or year 3.  In the meantime, he can make immediate impact at the return game. 

To me, this selection shows doubt. Doubt we can knock Aaron Rodgers out of the game every time we see him...

Quote: @FSUVike said:
I honestly think this pick is about Mac not developing like they want so they want someone to push him up or out.

Jackson is overrated. Measurables weren't  there in key places like the cone drill, IIRC. Anyway, I watch a lot of Big 10 games and when he wasn't making splash plays he wasn't doing squat.

As has been mentioned, Oliver looks more like a boundary guy. Davis is in the next lower tier.

As for Jones, Hurst, etc., teams weren't exactly burning up the phone lines to grab these kids. They all made it to the second round for a reason. Not a single one of them is without question marks.

It's the end of the 1st Round. Not exactly the sweet spot for can't miss guys. The perennial playoff teams make a living out of taking the best guy on their board regardless of need. Minnesota just did the same thing. We just may have to get used to this.
This is the best we as fans can hope for.

This hedging against a 40 year old losing more than just one step come next fall.  

So much piss-fitting over a single pick among a crop of untested POTENTIAL NFL players...wow.

This is why I'll never be a draft-urbator: people get more wrung out over pick disagreement than they do over actual game losses.

Wake me when camp starts, and we actually see the team making the actual decisions on the 2018 roster.

The guys I thought were going to be late round gems are going off the board now.  Maybe this draft was not as deep as we thought.

Quote: @Zanary said:
So much piss-fitting over a single pick among a crop of untested POTENTIAL NFL players...wow.

This is why I'll never be a draft-urbator: people get more wrung out over pick disagreement than they do over actual game losses.

Wake me when camp starts, and we actually see the team making the actual decisions on the 2018 roster.
You know Zanary, some of us enjoy the off season and watching the team being built as much or more thsn we enjoy the games.  Insulting people who discuss it says more about you than it does about them.  No one expects you to enjoy it, you can simply move on.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
Sure, he may be better than Sherels, and it will be nice to have a better #4 CB. But was that a bigger need than defensive line depth (DT Maurice Hurst, DE Harold Landry), bolstering the offensive line (C James Daniels, G Will Hernandez, OT Connor Williams), or even a DB who can be a full-time replacement for our weakest and oldest DB (S Justin Reid)? We drafted Hughes because we "only" have 3 decent CBs, but we only have 1 decent TE, so why not Dallas Goedert?
Our top pick went to the unit that might be the strongest on the team. I'm not even convinced Hughes was the best value at CB. We left Josh Jackson, Carlton Davis, and Isaiah Oliver on the board - 3 CBs with more experience and better size.
Two years ago, we all had some surprise that the Vikings drafted another CB with 2 young ones on the roster. But a 3rd young guy seemed reasonable, and we trusted that Zimmer knows how to identify CBs. Now they pick a guy who has weaker measurables than Alexander - and drafted him earlier. Just like Alexander, it's a projection that he can transition to covering in the slot.
The only way Hughes makes sense is if the team has decided Alexander is a bust. Or we just accept that Zimmer's desire to collect CBs is his unavoidable fetish.
Something like this should have been your OP. This is a much more legit critique.

My favorite player at 30 by far was Hurst. But the Vikings and lots of teams - maybe all teams- see a major medical issue. Hard to fault them for passing on him this early. I like Landry, too, but not nearly as much. And we do have a few guys behind Griff and Hunter. Maybe the coaches like them. And Landry is not for everyone. 

IMO our biggest need was at CB, not OL. Hurst was not for need but for talent. At 30, I liked Jacksn ahead of Hughes. But I am not dead certain I am right about that. GB took Jackson so now i really hope I was wrong. 

Taking Hughes does not say anything about Waynes and probably not about Mac either. It does say something about the CBs behind them. It says they can't play.

As for drafting CB before TE or S, it was a much bigger need at a more important position.

Quote: @Zanary said:

I liked it better when you didn’t know who was drafted until the news that evening of the draft. No Mel Kiper, or ESPN/NFL Network sitting talking bullshit all day long, or for three days.

Now, everyone is an expert, everyone has their two cents. Fans think they are a GM because they put together a team on Madden and won the Super Bowl. 

Discussion is fine, but getting their panties in a wad over who got drafted is just stupid.

Quote: @Riphawkins said:
@Zanary said:

I liked it better when you didn’t know who was drafted until the news that evening of the draft. No Mel Kiper, or ESPN/NFL Network sitting talking bullshit all day long, or for three days.

Now, everyone is an expert, everyone has their two cents. Fans think they are a GM because they put together a team on Madden and won the Super Bowl. 

Discussion is fine, but getting their panties in a wad over who got drafted is just stupid.

where as getting your panties in a wad about people getting their panties in a wad is a fine and noble calling.  B)