Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pick That Makes You Put Fist To Wall
undersized DBs.  especially without decent speed.  i havent watched the kid at all,  but I am pretty underwhelmed by the pick.

Is this kid going to be the dime back? ST'er first year. He's not going to beat out Mac or Trae or XR for gods sakes...I know Newman isnt going to be around much longer so there's that.  I suppose they felt OL and DL could be had later and their depth at CB was just too weak??

Agreed.  Still with Daniels and Hernandez available.  Puzzling.  

Hope you didn't hurt your hand. 

[Image: 515LvHzq02L._SX425_.jpg]

my preference was Mo Hurst, then Josh Jackson, then Hughes. But I’m fine with the pick. I’ve been saying for awhile that CB is our biggest need.  
I wanted Hurst because there is too much of a dropoff after him for a pass rushing 3-T. But no problem with Hughes.
Hernandez is a great power scheme guard. Not great for us. I would take Connor Williams before Hernandez.

BN be like

[Image: breakthroughs.jpg]

Hughes was on my short list of players I though the Vikings would consider at #30. Without knowing what the Vikings could have netted by trading back (values weren't good overall) they likely were a little stuck at their selection. My guess is the discussion came down to Hughes, Oliver, and Connor Williams. With the depth of the draft being along the interior O-line corner only made sense. 

He has a chance to make an impact in year one on the defensive side of the ball. Otherwise he was one of the best return men in the country which fills an area the Vikings struggled with in 2017. Its not a pick everyone is going to stand up and scream about, but it fills an important need. As I've said there is absolutely no depth at CB and they needed a player who could play immediately in a pinch. Hughes fits that. 

Watch them to target O-line tomorrow. They also have that comp third in 2019 in their back pocket if they're really inclined to move up the board. 

What's the old saying, 

"I may not believe in the picks the Vikings make...
but I'll defend to the death my right to bitch about it."

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Hughes was on my short list of players I though the Vikings would consider at #30. Without knowing what the Vikings could have netted by trading back (values weren't good overall) they likely were a little stuck at their selection. My guess is the discussion came down to Hughes, Oliver, and Connor Williams. With the depth of the draft being along the interior O-line corner only made sense. 

He has a chance to make an impact in year one on the defensive side of the ball. Otherwise he was one of the best return men in the country which fills an area the Vikings struggled with in 2017. Its not a pick everyone is going to stand up and scream about, but it fills an important need. As I've said there is absolutely no depth at CB and they needed a player who could play immediately in a pinch. Hughes fits that. 

Watch them to target O-line tomorrow. They also have that comp third in 2019 in their back pocket if they're really inclined to move up the board. 
Where have we heard THAT before...  :p

Quote: @Poiple said:
Agreed.  Still with Daniels and Hernandez available.  Puzzling.  
For this reason, as well as taking Hughes over Josh Jackson, I haven't been this mad since the Ponder pick.   It would be great to be wrong, but unless Hughes ends up starting at nickel this looks like a wasted pick.