Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well Connected Source Says The Browns Aren't That Stupid
The Browns may very well win a few games this year. Taylor is decent. If they want their #1 choice at QB shouldn't they pick him this draft when they have the #1 pick as opposed to waiting next year when they may be further down in the draft order?
Do they like any of the QBs overly much this year at #1? Or even #4? Their record of QBs they have liked versus those they disliked is pretty pitiful. Recent history shows they liked Johnny Manziel, Cody Kessler and Deshone Kizer. They apparently didn't like Derek Carr, Carson Wentz, or Deshaun Watson. If you're a Browns fan, hopefully John Dorsey is going to bring some level of competence to this team.  

If the Browns don't go QB at #1 their scouting department should be lined up and shot.  It doesn't much matter which at this point.  They need to at least swing at the ball to hit it. 

Why not take Saquon with the first pick and a QB at 4? Unless they see a QB that they rank definitively better than the other 3-4 QBs, they are guaranteed one at pick 4. That way they get a top RB and a top QB.

If I'm the Browns, I want to stop people scoring at will on me.  I would focus on D and replace the HOF tackle you're losing. 
Whatever QB I'd draft, he would not see the field for this year at least.  Tyrod can hold the fort for a year or two but keeping him upright and on the field would be priority one. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I am not sure why they are wanting to stay at one and take a QB in this draft class... no consensus top 5 draft pick at 
QB, let alone #1,  drop down a couple spots and add some more draft picks and then take who ever is left of the guys you have at the top of the list of average prospects.
That sounds like the same conversation that is had every year when discussing the next crop of rookie QBs...  no consensus #1, multiple guys being talked about as potentially the top QB, etc.
In 2016, they traded out of the #2 spot with Philadelphia who took Carson Wentz.  He looks like a future star...  meanwhile Cleveland took Corey Coleman at 15.  Doesn't look like such a good move now...  then to top it off, they took Cody Kessler 42 spots AHEAD of Dak Prescott in that same draft.  Both would have been major upgrades over whoever they've started the past two years.
In 2017, they traded out of the #12 spot with the Houston Texans who took Deshaun Watson.  He had a fantastic rookie season until he tore his ACL.  Then the Browns decide to take Deshone Kizer in the late 2nd who led the league in INTs last year and was traded to the Green Bay Packers after one season.  Yikers.
So the Browns could have had what looks like 2 potential franchise QBs (Wentz and Watson) with their original picks and passed over Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, and Dak Prescott for different QBs.  At some point, Cleveland needs to draft a QB and get it right.  They've had ample opportunities to get a franchise guy and either made the wrong choice or traded away the pick that could have gotten that player.
The time is now.  It would be absolutely stupid to take Barkley or Chubb #1 and let potentially 2 other teams take QBs before their next pick.  Take the QB you feel most confident about #1 and then draft Barkley or Chubb at #4.  One of them will be there...  the Jets didn't give up all those picks to get to #3 for Barkley or Chubb.  They want a QB and I think the Giants could take one too.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I am not sure why they are wanting to stay at one and take a QB in this draft class... no consensus top 5 draft pick at 
QB, let alone #1,  drop down a couple spots and add some more draft picks and then take who ever is left of the guys you have at the top of the list of average prospects.
That sounds like the same conversation that is had every year when discussing the next crop of rookie QBs...  no consensus #1, multiple guys being talked about as potentially the top QB, etc.
In 2016, they traded out of the #2 spot with Philadelphia who took Carson Wentz.  He looks like a future star...  meanwhile Cleveland took Corey Coleman at 15.  Doesn't look like such a good move now...  then to top it off, they took Cody Kessler 42 spots AHEAD of Dak Prescott in that same draft.  Both would have been major upgrades over whoever they've started the past two years.
In 2017, they traded out of the #12 spot with the Houston Texans who took Deshaun Watson.  He had a fantastic rookie season until he tore his ACL.  Then the Browns decide to take Deshone Kizer in the late 2nd who led the league in INTs last year and was traded to the Green Bay Packers after one season.  Yikers.
So the Browns could have had what looks like 2 potential franchise QBs (Wentz and Watson) with their original picks and passed over Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, and Dak Prescott for different QBs.  At some point, Cleveland needs to draft a QB and get it right.  They've had ample opportunities to get a franchise guy and either made the wrong choice or traded away the pick that could have gotten that player.
The time is now.  It would be absolutely stupid to take Barkley or Chubb #1 and let potentially 2 other teams take QBs before their next pick.  Take the QB you feel most confident about #1 and then draft Barkley or Chubb at #4.  One of them will be there...  the Jets didn't give up all those picks to get to #3 for Barkley or Chubb.  They want a QB and I think the Giants could take one too.

and some years those consensus guys end up busting,  and maybe Wentz and Watson would have fizzled out in Cleveland.  They arent in dire need of a QB right now so IMO it would be stupid as shit to take a run of the mill QB prospect high and pass over much better football players.   They really need to either trade down and take a  QB where is makes sense or take the best football players available.  Wentz was a much brighter prospect than any of these guys this year.   This years group of guys has me thinking that they will be trying to trade up into the higher rounds in couple years again for a QB,  might as well start compiling draft stock now for that future QB.   

I havent heard anybody really even banging a drum that any one of these top 4 or 5 prospects should be the number 1 pick.... lots of speculation,  but none of the draft wonks even want to put their stamps on any of them.

Barkley is the smart pick at 1 IMO.  That kiD is a freak and will instantly make the browns offense more dynamic than any of these QBs ever could.  Him and a stud on defense or the top o lineman Nelson and they would win the first round easy.  Or take Barkley and then trade down to about 10 or so.  The Browns only screw this up if they reach for need and let the best football players go to some other city. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:

and some years those consensus guys end up busting,  and maybe Wentz and Watson would have fizzled out in Cleveland.  They arent in dire need of a QB right now so IMO it would be stupid as shit to take a run of the mill QB prospect high and pass over much better football players.   They really need to either trade down and take a  QB where is makes sense or take the best football players available.  Wentz was a much brighter prospect than any of these guys this year.   This years group of guys has me thinking that they will be trying to trade up into the higher rounds in couple years again for a QB,  might as well start compiling draft stock now for that future QB.   

I havent heard anybody really even banging a drum that any one of these top 4 or 5 prospects should be the number 1 pick.... lots of speculation,  but none of the draft wonks even want to put their stamps on any of them.
Your whole argument is based on the premise that all the top QB prospects are run of the mill guys.  I don't think that's true at all.

Every QB has his flaws...  Andrew Luck is the only prospect in recent memory where I think everyone thought he would be a great NFL QB and couldn't find many weaknesses in his game.

Right now, I'd say Darnold is deserving to be the #1 overall pick.  He has it all and about the only bad thing you can say about him is he had some turnover issues this season.  But he's had plenty of moments of brilliance.

Cleveland isn't winning anything until they get a franchise QB.  They have some pretty solid talent on their team right now.  But you need a good QB and if they pass up the opportunity again, they will be in the same spot in a couple years when Tyrod Taylor proves he's just a stop-gap veteran.

I don't know who they take.  Taking Barkley and waiting to see which one falls to 4 sounds like madness, but it might be a legitimate play.

Crazy draft for the position.  They Must Choose.