Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miller not McGlinchey top tackle?
I think to get to the next level the Vikes need to start thinking about rotation from the start of the season.  The Eagles were pretty good at it so hopefully Flip can help them establish it as a practice.

They have usually thought about starters and replacements.  With the lack of depth at tackle it becomes a priority in a draft with little help.  It is going to be interesting to see how they solve it.

Kolton Miller - T - BruinsNFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares UCLA T Kolton Miller to New York Giants T Nate Solder.
Miller is one of the more divisive prospects in this class -- at any position -- and Zierlein lists plenty of strengths and weaknesses. He notes that Miller plays with high effort on every snap, and the 6-foot-9, 310-pound tackle has the kind of base you're looking for in a starting bookend. He also notes that he's just an average athlete -- keep in mind this was written before his results in Indianapolis -- and that he needs to be more consistent with his hand placement. He gives Miller a grade of late-first, early-second, but the former Bruin could go as high as 10th overall to Oakland.Source: NFL.com

If these OTs arent day 1 starters...wait and get a guy that they can groom.  Considering the questions we have at RG and even to some extent LG,  I don't see Remmers at RT as the weak link across the front.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Kolton Miller - T - BruinsNFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares UCLA T Kolton Miller to New York Giants T Nate Solder.
Miller is one of the more divisive prospects in this class -- at any position -- and Zierlein lists plenty of strengths and weaknesses. He notes that Miller plays with high effort on every snap, and the 6-foot-9, 310-pound tackle has the kind of base you're looking for in a starting bookend. He also notes that he's just an average athlete -- keep in mind this was written before his results in Indianapolis -- and that he needs to be more consistent with his hand placement. He gives Miller a grade of late-first, early-second, but the former Bruin could go as high as 10th overall to Oakland.Source: NFL.com
This really worries me about Miller: before the combine, scouts all saw him as an average athlete...But then he ran a fast 40 and many are revising their evaluations. Well, if he looked average in college, he either doesn't know how to use his athleticism or he's actually just trained up for the combine. I really doubt Miller suddenly starts playing like Gary Zimmerman just because he ran faster than expected.

I want us to draft an interior lineman where we have a need and the supply is there at right at 30.  That said, if we think we can get Price in the second then I am all for that as well.  I want a top interior player within our first two picks whether we move up down or all around.

I rewatched the Saints game and Hill was abused and dominated at RT by Cameron Hayward routinely.  Hayward was dominant.  Hill was only playing there because of injury and Remmers was moved to LG vs Saints and was OK there.  That injury to Easton and then Elflein not being 100% for the playoffs resulted in a shuffle that did not work.  Case was the most pressured QB in the playoffs and Hill gave up the most pressures according to PFF.  We need to fix the interior.  

Wynn would be my first choice, followed by Hernandez, and then Price.  

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Saw this on Roto...early on I thought he'd be a guy to get Day 2...top 20 seems like crazy talk...
I don't like any of the top tackles. I'm completely torn on Miller. On one hand, he's got all the length in the world and he moves and bends really well for a guy that tall. 4.9 forty. That kind of athleticism is going to appeal to the Vikings. He's also a better run blocker than you typically see in a guy that tall and skinny. But I've seen him get bull rushed too many times. That's going to be every defender's money move against him.

And McGlinchey scares the hell out of me. Yeah, he profiles really well--so did Kalil--but my lasting impression is watching him getting beaten around the edge time after time against Miami, Georgia, Chubb, etc. 

I think this going to be one of those years where the best tackle from this class comes from the middle rounds. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's Joe Noteboom. 

LOVE the interior class though. I'd be ecstatic with Hernandez, Ragnow, Wynn, Price, Corbett...
Exactly why they're going to go higher than most think. Scarcity factor 
That's a bad factor. 
How do you think the Vikings FO ended up with Ponder and Treadwell? Neither were their top options. 

I have a question. Signing Richardson was huge because pass rushing 3Ts are hard to find, right?

That means there aren't that many of them out there. So why does RG suddenly become a position that requires a first round pick? 

There are what, 3 or maybe 4 first round picks playing RG in the entire League. Martin, DeCastro, I'm sure there are a few more.

But the vast majority of teams are doing just fine with mid round or even undrafted guys.

And this draft is deep at quality interior linemen...Isn't the better value in the Second? 

Another question. Do you really believe the Vikings thought Remmers was the better RT by the end of the season? 

If they did I'm suddenly scared to death of this coaching staff. Why on God's green and verdant Earrh do you take your starter at the second most important position on your Offensive Line and move him to LG for the first time all year....going into the Playoffs of all times? 

You don't. And neither did coaches. They moved a guy who had already been beaten out by his backup. The same backup that struggled mightily in the Playoffs.

That's why they want to move Mike to RG. He's already been passed by Hill. Who isn't good enough.

There are 4 in-house options to replace Berger. And the sweet spot for interior Linemen is in the 2nd/3rd. Which should yield a fifth option and some really strong competition for both Guard spots in case Easton isn't fully healthy for whatever reason or simply gets beat out of his spot in TC.

Meanwhile, either Remmers somehow improves at nearly 30 years old or Hill's only real competition will be Collins, whom I like but is still pretty raw.

Right Tackle is a question mark. Period. And it's a more important position. If I'm Rick I don't want to enter the year after so many positive things have happened this offseason with a question mark at such an important position.

I'd move up and get McGlinchey. Forget the recent downplaying of his talent. GMs are spreading smoke everywhere right now and the media eats it.like crack.

Ryan Ramczyk had a far smaller resume than Mike has and went 32 to the Saints. He goes on to Start all 16 games. In a redraft he'd certainly go higher.

McGlinchey is a better player. No,.he's not a Franchise LT. He's a League Average LT. But at RT he's better than average out of the gate with Top 10 potential.

Any comparison to Kalil is crap. Mike has a motor. He finishes plays. He plays through the whistle. And he won't be picked in the Top 5 to be a Franchise LT. 

If McGlinchey makes it past Cincinnati (doubtful) I would seriously consider trading up.

But I expect the price to move in front of the Bungles will be too high for Rick. He still needs a CB, rotational DE, Jet replacement and probably another TE. Not all of them have to come from the Draft, but Rick will want the flexibility of having multiple picks. So I don't see him moving up far enough to get Mike.

If Wynn or Hernandez is on the Board then you take him. Won't solve RT, but RG is locked down long-term with really nice depth. I think they will both be gone and Rick won't find a trading partner for a change.

So I'm guessing Defense or TE with the first pick. But if a RT starta to slide far enough Trader Rick just might surprise us. 

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
I have a question. Signing Richardson was huge because pass rushing 3Ts are hard to find, right?

That means there aren't that many of them out there. So why does RG suddenly become a position that requires a first round pick? 

There are what, 3 or maybe 4 first round picks playing RG in the entire League. Martin, DeCastro, I'm sure there are a few more.

But the vast majority of teams are doing just fine with mid round or even undrafted guys.

And this draft is deep at quality interior linemen...Isn't the better value in the Second? 

Another question. Do you really believe the Vikings thought Remmers was the better RT by the end of the season? 

If they did I'm suddenly scared to death of this coaching staff. Why on God's green and verdant Earrh do you take your starter at the second most important position on your Offensive Line and move him to LG for the first time all year....going into the Playoffs of all times? 

You don't. And neither did coaches. They moved a guy who had already been beaten out by his backup. The same backup that struggled mightily in the Playoffs.

That's why they want to move Mike to RG. He's already been passed by Hill. Who isn't good enough.

There are 4 in-house options to replace Berger. And the sweet spot for interior Linemen is in the 2nd/3rd. Which should yield a fifth option and some really strong competition for both Guard spots in case Easton isn't fully healthy for whatever reason or simply gets beat out of his spot in TC.

Meanwhile, either Remmers somehow improves at nearly 30 years old or Hill's only real competition will be Collins, whom I like but is still pretty raw.

Right Tackle is a question mark. Period. And it's a more important position. If I'm Rick I don't want to enter the year after so many positive things have happened this offseason with a question mark at such an important position.

I'd move up and get McGlinchey. Forget the recent downplaying of his talent. GMs are spreading smoke everywhere right now and the media eats it.like crack.

Ryan Ramczyk had a far smaller resume than Mike has and went 32 to the Saints. He goes on to Start all 16 games. In a redraft he'd certainly go higher.

McGlinchey is a better player. No,.he's not a Franchise LT. He's a League Average LT. But at RT he's better than average out of the gate with Top 10 potential.

Any comparison to Kalil is crap. Mike has a motor. He finishes plays. He plays through the whistle. And he won't be picked in the Top 5 to be a Franchise LT. 

If McGlinchey makes it past Cincinnati (doubtful) I would seriously consider trading up.

But I expect the price to move in front of the Bungles will be too high for Rick. He still needs a CB, rotational DE, Jet replacement and probably another TE. Not all of them have to come from the Draft, but Rick will want the flexibility of having multiple picks. So I don't see him moving up far enough to get Mike.

If Wynn or Hernandez is on the Board then you take him. Won't solve RT, but RG is locked down long-term with really nice depth. I think they will both be gone and Rick won't find a trading partner for a change.

So I'm guessing Defense or TE with the first pick. But if a RT starta to slide far enough Trader Rick just might surprise us. 
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if McGlinchey fall right past 30 into the 2nd round.

I agree that we should move Remmers. He's just not a RT. It's amazing he's lasted this long there. Guy has 31 inch arms.

You want a tackle, you'd be better off with Wynn than any of the others IMO. He's a prototype at guard, but I wouldn't count him out at tackle. 

https://twitter.com/pff/status/978010433717227521

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Saw this on Roto...early on I thought he'd be a guy to get Day 2...top 20 seems like crazy talk...
I don't like any of the top tackles. I'm completely torn on Miller. On one hand, he's got all the length in the world and he moves and bends really well for a guy that tall. 4.9 forty. That kind of athleticism is going to appeal to the Vikings. He's also a better run blocker than you typically see in a guy that tall and skinny. But I've seen him get bull rushed too many times. That's going to be every defender's money move against him.

And McGlinchey scares the hell out of me. Yeah, he profiles really well--so did Kalil--but my lasting impression is watching him getting beaten around the edge time after time against Miami, Georgia, Chubb, etc. 

I think this going to be one of those years where the best tackle from this class comes from the middle rounds. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's Joe Noteboom. 

LOVE the interior class though. I'd be ecstatic with Hernandez, Ragnow, Wynn, Price, Corbett...
Exactly why they're going to go higher than most think. Scarcity factor 
That's a bad factor. 
How do you think the Vikings FO ended up with Ponder and Treadwell? Neither were their top options. 
Look, I've been saying for years that the worst thing you can do is to "take the next guy on the list." 

I don't care whether you're talking about the draft, fantasy, or the workplace. Trust your instincts and take the guy you feel good about. Even if he's a reach. There's a reason you feel that way. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
If these OTs arent day 1 starters...wait and get a guy that they can groom.  Considering the questions we have at RG and even to some extent LG,  I don't see Remmers at RT as the weak link across the front.
That's exactly what I'm going in my latest mock. I take a guard at 30 and take Joe Noteboom in the 3rd.

Ya'll should really take a look at this kid. 6-5, 319, 34+ arms, 4.9 forty, academic all american. He's not perfect, but his flaws are the coachable kind.  Film is clean.